17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

So you think 36 games (or whatever Bruce had) is enough and he's failed? I don't personally think that, I think a summer transfer window and a good stint of next year would be fair... but I'm sure everyone doesn't think the same.

edit: we might be going off topic a bit here :)

Yes I believe he has failed - he had more than enough games - more than enough cash available to him - I'm afraid his ridiculous January and insistance on relying on you know who - was in my opinion beyond comprehension - so this in itself leaves me without hope that he himself can steer the club to promotion 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

Whichever way you wanna look at it, it's obvious he failed last season. I'm not saying it was an easy task, but imho he made it even harder for himself, with questionable tactics and poor team selection. The one million dollar question is will he fail yet again. 

Should that not be 200 million pound question? :)

10 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

When bruce took the job he said he expected to be competing for the playoffs come the end of the season. So by that mark he has failed as we were not even close to competeing...

He then later came out I said "we must finish in the top 10, we just have to"

Failed at that as well. 

• Like 4

On 6/9/2017 at 08:45, vreitti said:

Do you accept that making the play offs is good enough?

yes.

but.......I want to get Auto just like everyone else.....but so do all our other competitors.

you see what happens with the election, when you expect something.

The objective is to get promotion, no matter how we get it.....even by the "fair play" rules.....just joking there.

15 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

When bruce took the job he said he expected to be competing for the playoffs come the end of the season. So by that mark he has failed as we were not even close to competeing...

apply sharia Law for football managers.....if they fail:)

7 hours ago, vreitti said:

Whichever way you wanna look at it, it's obvious he failed last season. I'm not saying it was an easy task, but imho he made it even harder for himself, with questionable tactics and poor team selection. The one million dollar question is will he fail yet again. 

He will imo (fail that is)

• Like 4

I had some time away recently, I returned to find the Bruce wankfest had melted quicker than Harry's face and all we'd got was Bruce in/Bruce out arguments popping up everywhere. 

Now I try not to get involved too much. 

I think what we all need is some football matches to watch. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am writing before researching but a thought crossed my mind when analysing the fixtures a bit more closely this evening, do we return too late to preseason training as a Championship club?

When we were a Premier league club we seemed to return early July and that date doesn't seem to have changed as we've dropped in to the Championship. Yet we start the season on the 5th August this year, whereas we used to start mid August.

I just wander if that was another factor in our slow start last season and is a cause for concern this year too. When do other Championship teams return?

I haven't read this for a while but I just popped in to say I reckon the ones to watch, apart from Villa, are Sheffield Wednesday. I think they're going up next season, one way or another. 

On 10/06/2017 at 00:36, flashingqwerty said:

Yes he failed but he was given 2 seasons. 

On 10 June 2017 at 00:36, flashingqwerty said:

All teams in the top six had the same manager at the start of the season, none came mid season. I expect major improvement this year.

• Like 2

If Villa want to push for the promotion it's really simply.

Concede the same number of goals but double the amount we scored last season. 

Our goals per game stat for a team that was recently relegated was truly pathetic. 

• Like 1

On 10/06/2017 at 00:36, flashingqwerty said:

Or maybe he just found out the problems were wider and deeper than he anticipated when he took the job. 

He wouldn't by any means be the first manager of our wonderful football club to discover that.

• Like 2

Just did the predictor for the coming season (a touch early given in/out transfers will have an impact on the performances of clubs) but why not go early :)?

I had us finishing second on 93 points to Fulham for automatic promotion (I would prefer top spot but would shake hands on second now) ;).

The play-off teams were Sheffield Wednesday (3rd), Reading (4th), Boro (5th) & Leeds (6th). Small Heath ended the season 20th (with hindsight I was clearly way over generous with their predictions)!    

Edited by John