17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

The simple solution to this debate of Promotion Charge with Bruce, because preseason 4 promotions....etc and some posters views that he should have either already been a goner or that there's no confidence in him is

If This football club would care to set up the playing staff, coaches and other recruitment structures in place so that we had a clear manager/player/coaches profile then we'd have "fits" coming in and "misfits" going out. So keeping a manager just to avoid forming a "profile" for all staff is pure negligence and doomed to fail.

I'm looking at Southampton as a perfect model for us, and If one asks the question

"Would Soton have employed RDM or Bruce?

would they style their football like we do currently?"

Adkins wasn't exactly a glamour manager but he got the job down and got Saints up. They then were quite ruthless and ditched him once they got in the Premier League. If Villa do the same with Bruce then I would take that,.

• Like 2

On 2017-6-26 at 20:14, Grasshopper said:

Well judging by the last 30+ games, there will be no promotion charge under Bruce. So maybe this thread should be renamed the

Whatever thread

So those convinced that there will be a PC wont feel out of place and neglected

Don't try and hijack this thread GH, you'll spread yourself too thin....

Just now, hippo said:

Id love to see a promotion made in Brum - Green, RHM, Davies - all being stars next season. That would be great.

You had me momentarily bamboozled with Davies.  Curse your extra E (and even he's Stevenage).  Add in Jackie Boy :ph34r:

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

End of. I would watch 46 matches of awful football if we got promoted tbh.

By definition last year's football was awful and that didn't get it done. We need to be much better. Setting up not to get beat but ultimately doing so at Burton albion doesn't fill me with confidence. 

32 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

By definition last year's football was awful and that didn't get it done. We need to be much better. Setting up not to get beat but ultimately doing so at Burton albion doesn't fill me with confidence. 

Possibly- but under RDM we would have lost that match at Burton. Bruce made us harder to beat but I agree that we need to be more clinical next season if we are to go up.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Possibly- but under RDM we would have lost that match at Burton. Bruce made us harder to beat but I agree that we need to be more clinical next season if we are to go up.

Did he really, on closer inspection ? Brentford was more embarrassing than any result under RDM. Played with fear after we went 1 up at forest. Lost the game. 2 up to Preston at home,  drew. Ipswich at home..shocking.  Bruce is under massive pressure from the off now. Great to see villa taking another week off too whilst a fair chunk of championship sides are back at it since Monday. I mean they clearly deserve it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Did he really, on closer inspection ? Brentford was more embarrassing than any result under RDM. Played with fear after we went 1 up at forest. Lost the game. 2 up to Preston at home,  drew. Ipswich at home..shocking.  Bruce is under massive pressure from the off now. Great to see villa taking another week off too whilst a fair chunk of championship sides are back at it since Monday. I mean they clearly deserve it.

Yes but we then went on to win 7 out of 8 and won 4 on the spin without letting in a goal. Last season had some unacceptable bad periods- but the last few months at least there was something to build on. Showed good character for the Brighton game for example.  I think we should go into next season with a clean slate and not to put 'massive pressure' on the manager. As a club we need to help create a positive atmosphere and some continuity. Bruce has made some mistakes but I am for one am ready to back him 100% from the first game.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Adkins wasn't exactly a glamour manager but he got the job down and got Saints up. They then were quite ruthless and ditched him once they got in the Premier League. If Villa do the same with Bruce then I would take that,.

It seems to me that's exactly the model we need. Anyone who thinks we could attract the likes of Pochettino, Koeman, Puel or Pellegrino to Villa to help us scramble out of the Championship is living in la-la land. We've got the type of manager who can do that. We don't have to keep him when we get back to the premier league.

It takes a lot of time and hard work to build a system of squad selection and development like Southampton have and I don't yet see much evidence that this is happening under Xia.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

He didn't. I don't know why this keeps being presented as a fact. 

• Like 2

New GK

Bree - Terry - Chester - Taylor

Jedi

Lansbury - Hourihane

Adomah - Kodjia - Green

McCormack, Gabby, Hogan, Thor, Jack, Tshibola, Gardner, Lyden, Bacuna, Hutton, RDL, Baker, Richards, Elphick, Amavi, Steer/Bunn

Vereout, Gil, Sanchez probably going following loan spells. I see a few of the above probably being moved on too.

On 30/06/2017 at 12:47, Dante_Lockhart said:

New GK

Bree - Terry - Chester - Taylor

Jedi

Lansbury - Hourihane

Adomah - Kodjia - Green

McCormack, Gabby, Hogan, Thor, Jack, Tshibola, Gardner, Lyden, Bacuna, Hutton, RDL, Baker, Richards, Elphick, Amavi, Steer/Bunn

Vereout, Gil, Sanchez probably going following loan spells. I see a few of the above probably being moved on too.

That needs a bit of stripping but it's a good squad in place. I'd get rid of Hutton and Richards to start. Richards is obvious and even though Hutton was better last year he should be behind de laet and not blocking Bree. A lot will depend on people playing like they can McCormack especially. 

On 29 June 2017 at 22:55, Johnnyp said:

Luton town says hello

It would be really really nice if we could avoid any key players avoiding lengthy injuries and injuries coinciding with the absence of other players in their position or going off the rails. 

Thanks. 

A back 4 of 

Bree Terry Chester Taylor 

is easily the best in the championship and we really shouldn't be conceding many goals. I honestly think we could keep it below 35. You could also argue that the back up back 4 of 

Hutton Elphick Baker De Leat 

is still very strong (Elphick played ok wen next to a dominating cb like baker or Terry but was poor when with Chester and neither wanted to mark. I'm also thinking amavi will be sold).

It gives us a very good platform to go from. No excuses now for Bruce