17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

On 2017-6-10 at 09:06, flashingqwerty said:

When bruce took the job he said he expected to be competing for the playoffs come the end of the season. So by that mark he has failed as we were not even close to competeing...

So what did you expect him to come in and say ...... Hi I'm the new manager and this ex PL club is going to be a mid table team at best. 

Every manager would've said that....

Success isn't guaranteed

• Like 2

13 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Or maybe he just found out the problems were wider and deeper than he anticipated when he took the job. 

He wouldn't by any means be the first manager of our wonderful football club to discover that.

Our football has got worse.  Next.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

So what did you expect him to come in and say ...... Hi I'm the new manager and this ex PL club is going to be a mid table team at best. 

Every manager would've said that....

Success isn't guaranteed

A smart manager wouldnt publicly set goals he didnt believe were achievable.

Its not like he said this as soon as he was in the door. He had been in charge over a month when he set this target.

Seems to me ppl are far too eaher to make excuses for a man who looked clueless at best last season.

I hope SB is the answer but my experience in the game and watching it tells me come christmas he will be gone and the next incombant will be in.

• Like 3

I never really expected the play offs when he came in, we were miles adrift due to the awful start and we'd won 1 game in 9 games so I think people are rewriting things a bit to say that was an expected accomplishment.

Derby were down there with us and they came nowhere near either, hardly anyone does it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

A smart manager wouldnt publicly set goals he didnt believe were achievable.

Its not like he said this as soon as he was in the door. He had been in charge over a month when he set this target.

Seems to me ppl are far too eaher to make excuses for a man who looked clueless at best last season.

I hope SB is the answer but my experience in the game and watching it tells me come christmas he will be gone and the next incombant will be in.

So, getting back on topic, what do you think Bruce should say about next season? 

Maybe, "In the light of my experiences last season, I am setting no expectations for the team for 2017/8. I will just wait to see if the 6/7 ardent posters on Villatalk who fill every thread with lengthy essays about how I am clueless are proved right."?

Please, if you just want to repeat endlessly your view that Bruce "failed" last season, go to his thread to do it. Most of us know not to bother to visit it any more.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I never really expected the play offs when he came in, we were miles adrift due to the awful start and we'd won 1 game in 9 games so I think people are rewriting things a bit to say that was an expected accomplishment.

Derby were down there with us and they came nowhere near either, hardly anyone does it.

IIRC initial results under Bruce where fantastic and on that form a playoff spot looked likely. Then it all went a bit meh. Just need to re-kindle and sustain that 2pt/game form.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr.Messy said:

IIRC initial results under Bruce where fantastic and on that form a playoff spot looked likely. Then it all went a bit meh. Just need to re-kindle and sustain that 2pt/game form.

null

• Like 2

15 hours ago, briny_ear said:

So, getting back on topic, what do you think Bruce should say about next season? 

Maybe, "In the light of my experiences last season, I am setting no expectations for the team for 2017/8. I will just wait to see if the 6/7 ardent posters on Villatalk who fill every thread with lengthy essays about how I am clueless are proved right."?

Please, if you just want to repeat endlessly your view that Bruce "failed" last season, go to his thread to do it. Most of us know not to bother to visit it any more.

I was asked a question so i answered it.

If you dont like that, then i think forums are not for you...

Edited by flashingqwerty
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, briny_ear said:

When you say "we", I think you may just mean the 6 or 7 posters on here who keep banging on about how he's "failed".

Personally, my expectations were (a) that he should stop us plummeting towards Division 1 and (b ) to see what could be rescued from a disastrous start to the season. He achieved (a) but (b ) was a bit meh.

Anyways, this is NOT the Steve Bruce thread so please will the anti-Bruce mob go back there to post this sort of stuff.

I'm not too sure what sort of content was anticipated for this thread but post after post telling us that Bruce failed to meet some people's unrealistic expectations last season almost certainly wasn't part of the plan.

Or, pro-Villa. :)

And, last time I looked, Bruce will be heading our `promotion charge', so quite reasonable that he should figure in discussions about same.

• Like 1

Well judging by the last 30+ games, there will be no promotion charge under Bruce. So maybe this thread should be renamed the

Whatever thread

So those convinced that there will be a PC wont feel out of place and neglected

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

It is a testing start therefore Brucie should he start well, leaves us good for further down the line in the season

I hope those that are looking for explanations......are as quick to practice what they preach, if all goes well.

I don't want to hear the " well we are only ten games in"..... we haven't won it yet.

Edited by TRO

I am not bothered how we achieve promotion in terms of slow start -strong finish......or strong start -slow finish as long as we do it.

I guess a consistent season would be my ideal choice......and looking like we are unlikely to come straight back down.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

I hope those that are looking for explanations......are as quick to practice what they preach, if all goes well.

I don't want to hear the " well we are only ten games in"..... we haven't won it yet.

A bit like last season when those who said in November, December that it wasn't sustainable to play the way we did and that it would catch up to us unless Bruce started to develop our game was ridiculed and told they were moaning for the sake of it.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I want to see improvement, I won't tolerate a rdm start. Bruce has no excuses

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1