17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

It's odd how Steve Bruce has 'failed' in some people's eyes already, before next season has even started. If he achieves promotion through the play offs, we should've got automatic, if we got automatic promotion, the style of football is wrong, even if he gets a hypothetical season in the PL then he will fail, even if he keeps us up he can't take us higher... I wish I was as certain about things as some people seem, I'm constantly doubting myself.

To me, SB's goal is promotion, that is the only goal for the club this season, anything else is just worrying for no reason.

I don't think for a second anyone actually cares how we get promoted, or what style of football is displayed, if in fact we do achieve promotion.

Seriously though, given what we've seen so far under Bruce, can you really blame anyone for having doubts? 

I would like to think the (only) target for next season is automatic promotion. Mostly due to the amount of money spent already.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I don't think for a second anyone actually cares how we get promoted, or what style of football is displayed, if in fact we do achieve promotion.

Seriously though, given what we've seen so far under Bruce, can you really blame anyone for having doubts? 

I would like to think the (only) target for next season is automatic promotion. Mostly due to the amount of money spent already.

I agree that the target for next season is solely promotion, but I think some do seem to care how it is obtained. Failing to get promoted at all would be a failure in my eyes.

I don't blame people for having doubts, doubts are what make us question things which is healthy and intelligent, I am more critiquing those who seemingly have no doubts that Bruce will fail. If not in the first 10 games, then at the play offs, or if not then then in the PL.

I suppose it's just a difference of opinion and it's not an opinion I am trying to change... I just think we should 'punish' failure when it happens, and not before.

I personally want a 100% record for next season confirming promotion at the earliest mathematical point. We should not conceed a single goal and score a record amount of pts and goals in the history of league football.

We should win every home game at least 4-0 scoring a minimum of 2 goals in each half and every away game at least 2-0 scoring at least 1 goal in each half.

Once Bruce achieves this he can proudly resign as the greatest manager ever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Monk going Boro is a spanner in the works 

Hopefully they get the Swansea Monk.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Hopefully they get the Swansea Monk.

Or  the one for teh final 10 games for Leeds

But I think he will have money so I can see him doing well there. Certainly better than having Agnew

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Aren't every team?

No.  Every team isn't.  Burton Albion aren't a rival for promotion.

Sorry if I'm picking on your post.  It's not aimed at you particularly.  It's a general response to when I've seen people in here respond to the question "which 2 pose the biggest threat" (for example) with the obtusely painful 'we need to beat them all'.  Yes, well done guys, we do.  But you know that's not what's being asked.  You'd like to hope beyond hope that people are able to interpret the question properly.  It shouldn't need to be worded "Of the 23 other teams in the league, which of those do you suspect to be our strongest rivals" as that's obviously what's being asked.

Again, not directed specifically at you vreitti.  Just getting it off my chest :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

No.  Every team isn't.  Burton Albion aren't a rival for promotion.

Sorry if I'm picking on your post.  It's not aimed at you particularly.  It's a general response to when I've seen people in here respond to the question "which 2 pose the biggest threat" (for example) with the obtusely painful 'we need to beat them all'.  Yes, well done guys, we do.  But you know that's not what's being asked.  You'd like to hope beyond hope that people are able to interpret the question properly.  It shouldn't need to be worded "Of the 23 other teams in the league, which of those do you suspect to be our strongest rivals" as that's obviously what's being asked.

Again, not directed specifically at you vreitti.  Just getting it off my chest :)

No worries. Obviously I wasn't being serious. But I do seriously think we'll have trouble beating any team, if our strategy is going to be that of last season. Sitting deep, keeping it tight defensively, and lumping it forward, hoping that our strikers do the business. 

• Like 1

Just now, vreitti said:

No worries. Obviously I wasn't being serious. But I do seriously think we'll have trouble beating any team, if our strategy is going to be that of last season. Sitting deep, keeping it tight defensively, and lumping it forward, hoping that our strikers do the business. 

Yes but again the question of promotion is being asked in the context of us being capable.  Obviously if we're not capable then the point is moot.  So again it shouldn't really need "In a scenario where promotion is viable ...".  All the caveats should be implied, I'd have thought.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Yes but again the question of promotion is being asked in the context of us being capable.  Obviously if we're not capable then the point is moot.  So again it shouldn't really need "In a scenario where promotion is viable ...".  All the caveats should be implied, I'd have thought.

Well in that case I'd say we have no promotion rival(s) what so ever. :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I agree that the target for next season is solely promotion, but I think some do seem to care how it is obtained. Failing to get promoted at all would be a failure in my eyes.

I don't blame people for having doubts, doubts are what make us question things which is healthy and intelligent, I am more critiquing those who seemingly have no doubts that Bruce will fail. If not in the first 10 games, then at the play offs, or if not then then in the PL.

I suppose it's just a difference of opinion and it's not an opinion I am trying to change... I just think we should 'punish' failure when it happens, and not before.

He has already failed at getting us promoted or of even competing to get promoted.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villakram said:

He has already failed at getting us promoted or of even competing to get promoted.

So you think 36 games (or whatever Bruce had) is enough and he's failed? I don't personally think that, I think a summer transfer window and a good stint of next year would be fair... but I'm sure everyone doesn't think the same.

edit: we might be going off topic a bit here :)

Edited by alreadyexists

7 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I'm afraid I do care - yes clearly promotion is the end game and that's all but I don't want us to hoof our way there. And I do agree that it's all about opinion particularly at this time of the year when there is no action to discuss - but I will have to say that whilst I am not waiting for Bruce to fail - I fear that he will in the mid term - yes Aston Villa will get promoted but I believe this will be in spite of Bruce being in charge - not because of.

And I absolutely care what happens next- as much as I don't rate him - I think it would be unfair to sack him once promotion is secured - so my view remains that he should go now, to be replaced by a manager who can conduit us to the next level once prem status has been restored.

• Like 1