17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

The first season it will be!

Well realistically yes I'd agree, but the Doc's idea of staying up is only qualifying for the Europa League amd winning the FA Cup. At least that's how it is in my dream :D  

4 hours ago, Dave J said:

This is where we differ massively I absolutely care about his record in the PL and this is where the issue is for me- so on your side of the fence it's ok to get promoted and then struggle back in the prem? On my side of the fence I want a man in charge who can absolutely take us back to where we want to be- what's the use in getting promoted - bumming around the basement and getting relegated again in 1-2 seasons - I really don't think any of us want this surely not?

Priority 1- promotion. Priority 2- there is no priority 2 if we don't get promoted.  Premier League is a completely different ball game- we would probably need a new team and quite possibly a new manager. But that is irrelevant until we are one of the 3 which go up.

37 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Priority 1- promotion. Priority 2- there is no priority 2 if we don't get promoted.  Premier League is a completely different ball game- we would probably need a new team and quite possibly a new manager. But that is irrelevant until we are one of the 3 which go up.

Well in that case, let's just be guaranteed top spot in the league by February so we can start making plans for the complete turnover to come!

6 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Again

1 wasnt with AVFC

2,3,4,5......etc

results, selections, SJ, Gaby, McC, Hoofing, playing Hutton/Bacuna/Gardner, not playing players to their strengths (the utmost cardinalsinn for a manager at any level).........

Yeah that might be because he hasnt had a full season with us yet

43 minutes ago, BOF said:

21st of June. 

Cue the nightmare fixtures

1st 10 games to the season.

SHA H

Boro A

Fulham H

SheffW A

Reading H

Derby A

Leeds H

Hull A

Barnsley H

Brentford A

How many pts from that lot?

4 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

SHA H

Boro A

Fulham H

SheffW A

Reading H

Derby A

Leeds H

Hull A

Barnsley H

Brentford A

Enough to put us on course for being top of the table come May hopefully 

15 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

SHA H

Boro A

Fulham H

SheffW A

Reading H

Derby A

Leeds H

Hull A

Barnsley H

Brentford A

Too soon to say but after 3 points from the first game I would guess at around 15 from the rest. After those games we should have a dream run of fixtures that would soon have us zooming up the table! ;)

• Like 2

Nobody really knows how we'll do. Nobody knows the starting line up for the first game. No one knows even who the goalie will be. It's all speculation. We all make judgements based on our own experience, views and expectations. 

The one thing I do know is we all want Villa to succeed, whoever's in charge and whoever's playing. 

I just hope fans get behind the team this season and the players and manager give it their all. We need to roar them on and show this shitty league who we are. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

So are we just guessing the first 10 fictional games, or doing the whole fictional 46?

I could be sarcastic and say that the fictional remaining fixtures will be under a different manager........

but  I wont

39 minutes ago, John said:

Too soon to say but after 3 points from the first game I would guess at around 15 from the rest. After those games we should have a dream run of fixtures that would soon have us zooming up the table! ;)

I have this horrible thought that mr twitcher will give his all for 3pts v us, then go on a nose dive run to get the sack and a payoff

18 from 30 would not have us in the top 2

Then we'd have to deal with factors like Warnock's kickers, Bolton & SheffU on from their promotion high, Burton delighted to still being in the same league as us..... the list goes on

21 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I have this horrible thought that mr twitcher will give his all for 3pts v us, then go on a nose dive run to get the sack and a payoff

Then we'd have to deal with factors like Warnock's kickers, Bolton & SheffU on from their promotion high, Burton delighted to still being in the same league as us..... the list goes on

I agree that if we did play Harry's Bloose first up they and he would give it their all but sometimes (often) their best is just not good enough and we are looking at a home game.

18 from 30 would be unlikely to have us in the top 2 but we are equally unlikely to start with these first ten games.

It could be that playing the likes of Bolton and Sheffield United in those first 10 games would be tougher than later when reality has kicked in for them. As far as Burton, Cardiff and the rest are concerned bring them on! ;)  

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Worth noting that neither Newcastle nor Brighton were in the top 2 after 10 games last season. And one of them had only scraped 18 points.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

But surely the past and present is all we have to go on, as we cannot see the future. If we agree on that, then ANY assessment or judgement we make on a given manager is always based on the past and a 'projected/assumed' future. My point is; assuming that I believe Bruce is good enough to get us promoted, and assuming you believe he is not good enough to lead us in the Premier League are both just as flawed assumptions in that case, as both are made with only the present and history to guide us. No prediction is any less or more correct, and a reliance on x y and z has happened before, therefore it is likely to again, is all we have for any prediction. 

Not necessarily. A result and why it happened is always subjective and open to interpretation. Everyone has their own opinion and reason for why something happened.

There's a talent in spotting a good player or manager independent of results and independent of form. It's what the best managers and scouts get paid to do.

Results and past performances are not insignificant but without looking at or knowing the full picture it's just part of the story. 

7 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Not necessarily. A result and why it happened is always subjective and open to interpretation. Everyone has their own opinion and reason for why something happened.

There's a talent in spotting a good player or manager independent of results and independent of form. It's what the best managers and scouts get paid to do.

Results and past performances are not insignificant but without looking at or knowing the full picture it's just part of the story. 

There is subjectivity in all things which generate opinion, but all opinions are based on the information available; "the full picture" is created from the present and past. So my point was/is that all opinions of the future are equally flawed. If you believe the evidence points to a projected failure, but I believe it points to a projected success, who is right? Neither of us, we can only know who has correctly guessed the future from our interpretations of the past once that future has come to pass.