17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Purely based on league position, Bristol City have the easiest run in of any side in the league.  We have the 3rd easiest.  But with 17 games left that's really much of a muchness.

It's also worth pointing out that sides at the bottom become more difficult as the threat of relegation gets bigger and bigger.  So league position on its own can be an unreliable gauge of difficulty.

Good point re relegation candidates. I know we all want to get promoted but I will miss the Champ if we get promoted. It is so much more exciting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Good point re relegation candidates. I know we all want to get promoted but I will miss the Champ if we get promoted. It is so much more exciting.

It will but we need to be back where we belong, i cant bear teams like Bournemouth and burnley being in the top league while we are playing the likes of Bolton and Burton albion 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

While that may be true, and especially so for our first season back when we won't be contending for anything and maybe in another relegation battle (tough league), it is where we should hope to be. Maybe, just maybe we actually could push for the top in a few years and then that will most definitely be more exciting than whether or not we get promoted or not. European cups are something I would love for us to be back in pursuit for.

15 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

If we switch to a back three

You had me until this ^.  Now is not the time to be changing the fundamental formation that is working for us.  Especially with, as you say, games coming thick and fast.  Let's use the squad depth to rotate in and out as necessary, but with players fulfilling the same, established, roles within the team.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rubberman said:

You had me until this ^.  Now is not the time to be changing the fundamental formation that is working for us.  Especially with, as you say, games coming thick and fast.  Let's use the squad depth to rotate in and out as necessary, but with players fulfilling the same, established, roles within the team.

I said If, inevitably we are not going to stick with the same shape until may. We could even switch to a back 3 whilst leading against wolves with ten minutes to go :P

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Feels great to be a winning team again. Do people expect Tony to splash the cash straight away if we're promoted, or will he play it conservative?

Straight away. He's got to really. Don't want to go up just to not improve and go back down.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Feels great to be a winning team again. Do people expect Tony to splash the cash straight away if we're promoted, or will he play it conservative?

He’ll HAVE to splash the cash in the summer if we achieve promotion. No idea how much but the way the market is, I reckon it’ll be our most expensive summer ever.

The biggest concern I have is not so much the amount that would be spent, it’s making sure we bring in the right players. I think we’re a lot more savvy now compared to when Tony first arrived so I’d be a bit more optimistic.

Again, if we achieve promotion....

7 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Let's not count our chickens before they're hens/roosters. Get promotion first, then worry about anything after that.

• Like 1

if we get up, we will need heavy investment, as half our squad will be aging or gone or not good enough. We'd need to buy Johnstone permanently - would cost money, buy Snodgrass, get a prem quality striker permanently in, at least two midfielders to replace the meat of the midfield and maybe a left back to ensure we had a good enough squad. Renew Terry or replace - which won't be cheap. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I've gone back to the spreadsheet of doom.

3 scenarios

Realistic - we finish on 86 points

Optimistic - we finish on 90 points

Pessimistic - we finish on 78 

Worst case is playoffs, realistically in with a chance of second depending on how the others around us do (or I spose our results against direct rivals in getting those points) and optimistically nailed on second.

Definitely a better situation than not too long ago. Worst case we still have a chance of promotion this year.

As long as the wheels don't fall off I can see us getting mid eighties points wise. Hard to say just what we can do after we've won 5 on the bounce. The Sheff U game we pulled out of the fire and could easily have lost, if we don't lose to Fulham and beat Wednesday, with positive results in the easier games, then we could realistically be a couple of points clear in second... 

40 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Well the transfer window is shorter next season, it will open from the 17th May up until the 9th August.

So more than likely he will.

33 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

The biggest concern I have is not so much the amount that would be spent, it’s making sure we bring in the right players.

The biggest concern is whether Bruce is the one spending the money or someone else. Granted Bruce's transfer business has been decent enough, but I still wouldn't trust him to assemble a team equipped to fight it out in PL.

Again, if in fact we do get promoted.

I have just got a nagging feeling it's all going to go pear shaped Rodney. I hope not. It's been a long time since I felt like this as a Villa fan. Last time was probably after we beat Blackburn away under MON and we were third. 

12 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I have just got a nagging feeling it's all going to go pear shaped Rodney. I hope not. It's been a long time since I felt like this as a Villa fan. Last time was probably after we beat Blackburn away under MON and we were third. 

Exactly how I feel, too used to Villa letting me down, got to take each game at a time. Can't even begin to think about next year right now.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I think he will spend the money to keep us up.

I am sure I read that was the plan - 3 teams; 1 to get us up; 1 to keep us up; 1 to push on.