17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Fulham game will be a 6 pointer imo. We need to get distance between us and them with two poor teams coming up against us. Derbies are never easy though, and to be fair, neither is any game. Over-confidence and we might do a Liverpool against the burties. Good set of games coming up and I am riding on a high as a Villa fan atm. Aim for the top! We have the resources at our disposal to do so.

This is the most confident I’ve felt in ages. If I was a neutral I think I’d put us as the favourites for second place. However I’m not about to get carried away as we know it can quickly turn. 

The last month has been the most enjoyable as a villa supporter for years. So many seasons over the past 6 or 7 years I’ve spent time writing out ours and other rivals’ remaining fixtures trying to work out how it’ll play out (I didn’t bother the last couple of seasons). It’s nice to be able to legitimately contemplate whether 10 or more wins will be sufficient compared to the depressing calculations of previous seasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

This is the most confident I’ve felt in ages. If I was a neutral I think I’d put us as the favourites for second place. However I’m not about to get carried away as we know it can quickly turn. 

The last month has been the most enjoyable as a villa supporter for years. So many seasons over the past 6 or 7 years I’ve spent time writing out ours and other rivals’ remaining fixtures trying to work out how it’ll play out (I didn’t bother the last couple of seasons). It’s nice to be able to legitimately contemplate whether 10 or more wins will be sufficient compared to the depressing calculations of previous seasons.

This and this again. I'm floating on clouds atm. Been with my gf (now wife) for over seven years and we've been shit for that entire tenure. This is literarily the first time I can unironically say to her that we're a good side for our level. Long may this odd feeling continue.

• Like 1

I didn't see the game on Tuesday as had other commitments.  First thing at 5AM on Wednesday when awake was to check the score which set me up nicely for the day :).

I can't comment on the quality of play but that result is priceless in the grand old scheme of things.  We're real contenders now - something I've been longing for a long, long, time.  So, yes, whilst there is work ahead we're setting ourselves up nicely.  Well done, Steve.  Well done, team.  You're doing us proud.

male-lion-roar-wallpaper.jpg

8 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

I think you underestimate the importance of a manager. And of the coaching staff.

Absolutely not.....The manager and his coaching Staff are crucial.....If I have ever implied different, my apologies.

However, Managers and players have differing roles......One lot do it.....The other tells them/Guides them how to do it.

I sometimes think the praise or the criticism gets apportioned wrongly at times.....just my opinion.

as the old saying goes " you can take the horse to the water but you can't always make him drink"

I see many managers like Chris Coleman for example who have a massive job.....and right now, he is not getting the results but his work will take time and given time ,I think he will make a fist of it.

When managers embark on a big job, like ours and theirs.....It might take many windows and much changing of personnel, to start to see improvement.....Graham Taylor had a similar task, he managed it a bit quicker, but things were different then too, No FFP for starters, but comparisons are not much help and misleading.

I also think that Managers and coaches differ slightly in their area of responsibility.....Managers seem to take on a broader church than coaches, covering many aspects of football in a club, hence the need for an experienced one......If a coach ( usually continental) takes on the role that home based managers have done, it can fry some, if they are not experienced.

I am well aware AB of the importance of a Manager......having sat through Ron Saunders-Graham Taylor- Ron Atkinson -Brian Little -John Gregory and Martin O'Neill.....not to mention the not so good ones.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, supermon said:

Its too dangerous mayn...gunna stay cautious 

I mean this in as a genuine question - what's the point in that? 

I remember people saying it last season when we won 7 from 8 or whatever it was, around February/March time. The logic was that 'we' would end up heartbroken when we didn't off a miracle. 

Well I'm still here, still loving life. I didn't top myself, I got over it, just as I did multiple other painful moments as a fan. 

If I can't get excited now I'm not sure when I can. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I mean this in as a genuine question - what's the point in that? 

I remember people saying it last season when we won 7 from 8 or whatever it was, around February/March time. The logic was that 'we' would end up heartbroken when we didn't off a miracle. 

Well I'm still here, still loving life. I didn't top myself, I got over it. If I can't get excited as a fan now, I'm not sure when I can. 

I agree, but it is hard to really be positive - we have been through shit and it sometimes feels too good to be true. I guess once we get to that point where we can get rid of the hurt completely, we will believe again and stop feeling those doubts cast by shadows of the past.

I guess it really is a case of not looking back in anger... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Deffo. Optimism OUT!

Try Pessimism, the only way is up from there.

The trouble with Optimism its the false sense of security that goes with it.

I'm on the fence ...its safer.

3 hours ago, osmark86 said:

This and this again. I'm floating on clouds atm. Been with my gf (now wife) for over seven years and we've been shit for that entire tenure. This is literarily the first time I can unironically say to her that we're a good side for our level. Long may this odd feeling continue.

This is almost exactly my predicament; been with my gf, now wife, since 2009... just before the wheels came off! She doesn’t understand why I’m happy at weekends now, as it’s not something she’s ever known.

• Haha 2