17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We have taken 52 points from the last 26 games at an average of 2 per game - keep that up over the last 17 and we will finish on 87 points which should hopefully be enough to go up .

We are certainly in a good position.  We basically have to aquire 1 more point than Derby and Cardiff (presuming Cardiff win their game in hand). 

I think we are in a very strong position. When you consider we have Axel, a returning Green, and possibly another signing today to add to the squad, we have so many options. 

I don't want to tempt fate but our squad is much more capable of dealing with a few injuries and suspensions than pretty much all of our rivals. 

I think we will get even stronger as the season draws to a close. 

14 minutes ago, av1 said:

We are certainly in a good position.  We basically have to aquire 1 more point than Derby and Cardiff (presuming Cardiff win their game in hand). 

I think we are in a very strong position. When you consider we have Axel, a returning Green, and possibly another signing today to add to the squad, we have so many options. 

I don't want to tempt fate but our squad is much more capable of dealing with a few injuries and suspensions than pretty much all of our rivals. 

I think we will get even stronger as the season draws to a close. 

We have both derby and Cardiff at home so the ball is in our court - Cardiff at Leeds on Saturday and derby play Brentford which isn’t easy ;hopefully we can hit 2nd place on Saturday and start to then pull away .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Next we have Burton.

The last time we won 6 in a row was in 1981, when we actually won 7 in a row against Liverpool, Coventry, Man City, Everton, Palace, Wolves & Sunderland. We won the league that year. :wub::ph34r:

Looking forward to coming back after the next 2 games to ask when we last won 8 in a row...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, villarocker said:

F**k the play-offs, this team is going up automatically. At no point did I think Villa would concede tonight. Signing John Terry was a masterstroke because that defence looks impenetrable. 

Derby are bottlers. Richard Keogh is shite and will bottle it again. 

The challenge will be too much for Warnock to take and without him Cardiff will be a bag of shite! 

Bristol City will fade away, as will Sheffield United, Preston and Leeds. 'Boro are crap and won't do any good - maybe scrape the play-offs. Fulham are on a run but main man Cairney wants away so that might mess his head up for the run in. 

Villa are the real deal. I wasn't convinced but Bruce is making me eat my words. The turning point for me was the Forest away game where they told that stat about not losing a game we took the lead in since last February. 

Premier League here we come! :flag:

I think being upbeat is admirable.....but we have a long way to go.

all these teams will not fall away, we will not have the luxury of a points gap relaxation like Wolves.....we have to keep our nerve on matchday or the players will sense it.....total belief will get us over the line.

17 games, anything can happen.....we have to keep winning

13 more wins should do it.

We are well positioned, get players back from injury and that game and goal will do the "belief" no harm at all.

I don't think we will get a striker, to raise our odds of promotion, but hey ho......we just have to do it the hard way.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

all these teams will not fall away, we will not have the luxury of a points gap relaxation like Wolves.....we have to keep our nerve on matchday or the players will sense it.....total belief will get us over the line.

We are well positioned, get players back from injury and that game and goal will do the "belief" no harm at all.

I don't think we will get a striker, to raise our odds of promotion, but hey ho......we just have to do it the hard way.

We do have a nice 7 point gap to keep our play off spot. 

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

Just take a butchers at the BBC table. Green as far as the eye can see. Lovely. 

The only team in all four English divisions, all four Scottish divisions, National League and National League north and south to have such a record. Before the games tonight 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I agree with all that mate, we certainly can not rely on others failing away. 

But the squad is looking very strong now. When you look at the list of players that didn't start last night (including players returning from injury), you would think that as the season starts drawing to an end, we have a squad more capable of dealing with injury and suspension than some of our competitors. 

Defence.

Taylor

Samba

Bree

Talyor

Axel

Midfield.

Whelan

Jedinak 

Lansbury

Axel

O'hare

Green

Strikers.

RHM

Davis

Gabby

(And possibly a new signing today)

Thats a good set of "back ups". I'm now very confident of finishing top 2. 

Edited by av1

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I agree with all that mate, we certainly can not rely on others failing away. 

But the squad is looking very strong now. When you look at the list of players that didn't start last night (including players returning from injury), you would think that as the season starts drawing to an end, we have a squad more capable of dealing with injury and suspension than some of our competitors. 

Defence.

Taylor

Samba

Bree

Talyor

Axel

Midfield.

Whelan

Jedinak 

Lansbury

Axel

O'hare

Green

Strikers.

RHM

Davis

Gabby

(And possibly a new signing today)

Thats a good set of "back ups". I'm now very confident of finishing top 2. 

Are Taylor and Talyor the same person :unsure:

Cardiff have a nasty run coming up.  Away at Leeds then 3 in 8 days - Millwall away, Bolton home and Boro home.  Don't think they'll be getting too much from that lot.

Derby 3 home games - all mid table and winnable so we'll need to keep on our game.

Bristol have a similar Feb schedule to us.  1 tough away game, 3 home games.

I think it'll be shaping for a straight fight between us and Derby by the end of the month, with that game at VP looming.  Would be good to get the goal differences in our favour as it could be that tight.

• Like 2

Agree @rubberman, our goal difference may be the deciding factor in automatic and a lottery mate. On paper we should be destroying Burton and the noses but us being us you never know, Fulham away I'd be happy with a draw (but us being us....), we should be a point or 2 clear of Derby and Cardiff by then hopefully.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Let your hair down and have a drink you old rascal - confidence is high ;)

• Like 1