17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

43 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We played two up with Kodjia and Davis when we ripped them 4-0.

I am a big fan of not changing a winning side.

Yeah I would probably agree, i reckon grabban will be on bench in place of whelan 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

My Grabban concerns aside I am pretty chuffed with January...... actually everything about the club in January has been great. It does now feel like we have a squad thats deep and quality, plus we now play a style (4-1-4-1) which is both effective and, dare I say it? Attractive , modern and exciting. How the heck Steve Bruce  managed to morph in this manager is beyond me, but the results speak for themselves. 

Steve doesn't surprise me at all......I think many of us fans, was looking at player abilities and failed to consider player character and that has been missing for years.....a crucial ingredient.

SB is/ was well aware of that, but it takes time in tackling it.

I don't think Steve Bruce has changed at all.......The team has....and we can expect it to change a lot more in time.

personally, i think some folk confuse the manager and the team....when it comes to criticism or praise.

The team are the ones that win, lose or draw games....the manager just directs them e.g Steve Bruce had no control over that wonderful goal of Snoddy's, it was all down to the player, converesly just like Jed's cock ups against Sheff Utd at home.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Fwiw I think the appointment of Agnew has been absolutely Vital.

All these things come together to form progress.

I think its starting to show now, how much work was required, when he first took over.

That first window he had last year, was just the beginning.

We still have a way to go, when we go up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Great bits of business done in this window in terms of ins and outs.

Tuanzebe and Grabban will get their time and I agree that we should stick with the same XI again against Burton.

I would be ok with that, but with Green an option from the bench as I think Adomah, who I think is great, needs a break.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

All these things come together to form progress.

I think its starting to show now, how much work was required, when he first took over.

That first window he had last year, was just the beginning.

We still have a way to go, when we go up.

Absolutely TRO, if we are to be promoted there will still be more building required to sustain staying up there.

Many names will leave but hopefully there will be room for many quality names to start to arrive.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

Steve doesn't surprise me at all......I think many of us fans, was looking at player abilities and failed to consider player character and that has been missing for years.....a crucial ingredient.

SB is/ was well aware of that, but it takes time in tackling it.

I don't think Steve Bruce has changed at all.......The team has....and we can expect it to change a lot more in time.

personally, i think some folk confuse the manager and the team....when it comes to criticism or praise.

The team are the ones that win, lose or draw games....the manager just directs them e.g Steve Bruce had no control over that wonderful goal of Snoddy's, it was all down to the player, converesly just like Jed's cock ups against Sheff Utd at home.

I think you underestimate the importance of a manager. And of the coaching staff.

Finally we are playing in a formation which suits the players. Players playing in positions that suit their playing styles. It has all come together

pretty quickly and makes such a difference. Even when not playing at our best we are so hard to score against. This has all the hallmarks of

a team that's going up, UTV

Edited by pintpotvilla

I dont really like to change a winning side but i would for Saturday.  There was a couple of players on Tuesday night who didn't play great and if they were dropped i'm sure they would accept it.  The likes of Hourihane for example.  Also you have to give players a rest, i thought Adomah looked tired in the game on Tuesday night

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BOF said:

@omariqy Here's what I think you want.  If I've left any out (I'm sure you'll ...) let me know :)

The top 6 against each other
743eca4f77e5de499c8d7e6e1984c6db.png

The top half versus each other
5f50572754554216069393447b90cca2.png

The top half versus the bottom half
8ceb899387cb49193edc2e6a279d7546.png

Looks like Bristol City have the easiest set of fixtures remaining based on that. 

19 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Looks like Bristol City have the easiest set of fixtures remaining based on that. 

Depends on who they have to travel to I suppose - we have played more games against the top half teams than any of the top 10 and less games against the bottom half than any of the top 10 - added to most of our games against the top teams are to come at villa park and I wouldn’t want to swap our position on the run in .

Pretty much 3 months left then.

The next 8 games are going to be fun. 2 fairly big home games against Burton and then SHA - followed by two massive weeks with 3 games in 8 days in each of them. Cardiff have their game in hand against Bolton on the 13th Feb (So 5 games in 17 days for them)

Fulham [a], Preston, Sheff Weds [a] at the end of Feb and then QPR, Sunderland [a], Wolves in the first week of March. At the end of that we'll be 9 games from the end. With Leeds, Cardiff and Derby among the teams still to come.

WOLVES: Sheff Utd, QPR
DERBY: Brentford, Norwich
ASTON VILLA: Burton, SHA
CARDIFF: Leeds [a], Millwall [a], Bolton
BRISTOL CITY: Bolton [a], Sunderland
FULHAM: Forest, Bolton [a]

And then the fun starts - Tricky looking weeks for everyone

WOLVES: Preston [a], Norwich, Fulham [a]
DERBY COUNTY: Sheff Weds [a], Leeds, Reading [a]
ASTON VILLA: Fulham [a], Preston, Sheff Weds [a]
CARDIFF CITY: Middlesbrough, Ipswich [a], Bristol City
BRISTOL CITY: Leeds [a], Fulham, Cardiff [a]
FULHAM: ASTON VILLA, Bristol City [a], Wolves

And a few days off before the start of March and then.

WOLVES: Reading, Leeds [a], ASTON VILLA [a]
DERBY COUNTY:  Fulham, QPR [a], Forest [a]
ASTON VILLA: QPR, Sunderland [a], Wolves
CARDIFF CITY: Brentford [a], Barnsley, SHA
BRISTOL CITY: Sheff Weds, Preston [a], Burton [a]
FULHAM: Derby [a], Sheff Utd, Preston [a]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Purely based on league position, Bristol City have the easiest run in of any side in the league.  We have the 3rd easiest.  But with 17 games left that's really much of a muchness.

It's also worth pointing out that sides at the bottom become more difficult as the threat of relegation gets bigger and bigger.  So league position on its own can be an unreliable gauge of difficulty.