17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Great to have options now the window has shut, but I would hesitate to immediately include the two new boys in our strongest XI just yet. On paper, they probably would go in, but in reality, they have to play their way in, to maintain the gathering momentum and togetherness. Starting to feel like a proper club again, thank f***.

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I genuinely don't get the fascination with Mitrovic. 

Is he good on football manager?

Did really well for Anderlecht. He has the talent but issues with temperament. He had an ok first PL season not sure about last year.

8 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Great to have options now the window has shut, but I would hesitate to immediately include the two new boys in our strongest XI just yet. On paper, they probably would go in, but in reality, they have to play their way in, to maintain the gathering momentum and togetherness. Starting to feel like a proper club again, thank f***.

5 wins on the trot.....they will understand, they will have to play their way in.....or one of our lads lose form./injury.

Edited by TRO

10 hours ago, rubberman said:

Cardiff have a nasty run coming up.  Away at Leeds then 3 in 8 days - Millwall away, Bolton home and Boro home.  Don't think they'll be getting too much from that lot.

Derby 3 home games - all mid table and winnable so we'll need to keep on our game.

Bristol have a similar Feb schedule to us.  1 tough away game, 3 home games.

I think it'll be shaping for a straight fight between us and Derby by the end of the month, with that game at VP looming.  Would be good to get the goal differences in our favour as it could be that tight.

I wouldn't worry about Cardiff, have a look at their run in April.

Derby will drop points in their next three.

Now they're out of the cups think Bristol could come in with another run.

Think Boro and Fulham are too far back to properly challange.

My main concern is how we react when we do get into second which seems imminent. Suddenly we'll be the hunted team and all the pressure will be all on us. We've seen Cardiff and Derby go on good runs to make second and then they stop winning when they're in that position.

You'd like to think all the experience in our squad will help us at that point.

• Like 2

Probably the most agonising afternoon I can remember listening on my radio in 1988 to sports report was the 0-0 draw away to Swindon and pipping Middlesbrough to promotion on goals scored. Millwall overtook us for the title as we stuttered over the line. Something about Millwall away on the last day seems relevant.

• Like 2

I know we are still third but I really think now 2nd place at the end of the season is ours to lose.  We have the players and the momentum, I don't care about individual games just the end of season result now, please don't screw it up Villa!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Great to have options now the window has shut, but I would hesitate to immediately include the two new boys in our strongest XI just yet. On paper, they probably would go in, but in reality, they have to play their way in, to maintain the gathering momentum and togetherness.

Great bits of business done in this window in terms of ins and outs.

Tuanzebe and Grabban will get their time and I agree that we should stick with the same XI again against Burton.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I wouldn't worry about Cardiff, have a look at their run in April.

Derby will drop points in their next three.

Now they're out of the cups think Bristol could come in with another run.

Think Boro and Fulham are too far back to properly challange.

My main concern is how we react when we do get into second which seems imminent. Suddenly we'll be the hunted team and all the pressure will be all on us. We've seen Cardiff and Derby go on good runs to make second and then they stop winning when they're in that position.

Certainly wouldn’t say Fulham are too far back to challenge - they are in 6th place and only 5 behind us , certainly for me they are a far bigger threat than Bristol city but I’d rather be in our shoes than anyone other than wolves . 

‘Our run in is better and our squad is better - it’s in our hands now.

• Like 1

Afpbe was good many years ago there you would think he will score loads with the group they have. I am happy with grabban I remembered how many problems he caused us against Sunderland. If he plays like that and gets us the goals then we are surely going to be finishing in the top three (injuries permitting)

• Like 1

My Grabban concerns aside I am pretty chuffed with January...... actually everything about the club in January has been great. It does now feel like we have a squad thats deep and quality, plus we now play a style (4-1-4-1) which is both effective and, dare I say it? Attractive , modern and exciting. How the heck Steve Bruce  managed to morph in this manager is beyond me, but the results speak for themselves. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

wonder if bruce will be tempted to play two up top for this one and bench hourihane? burton would struggle to handle both grabban and hogan i feel 

will probably be unchanged though 

We played two up with Kodjia and Davis when we ripped them 4-0.

I am a big fan of not changing a winning side.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It' a realistic concern, all we can do is hope the mindset doesn't change.

However this is where having an experienced manager is worth it's weight in gold. Some of the groundwork for this has already been done, bringing in the senior pros to the team.

We are in as good a position as anybody to not fold under the pressure.

Wonder whether wolves are as prepared?

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

It' a realistic concern, all we can do is hope the mindset doesn't change.

However this is where having an experienced manager is worth it's weight in gold. Some of the groundwork for this has already been done, bringing in the senior pros to the team.

We are in as good a position as anybody to not fold under the pressure.

Wonder whether wolves are as prepared?

Agreed , we have vast big game experience in the squad and I think the players would handle the pressure