17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

59 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Just looking at the table, both Hull and Sunderland are now in the bottom three. Both obviously came down last season.

Admittedly Newcastle bounced straight back, and Middlesbrough are in the play off hunt this season, but I am beginning to look at our last season with a little more leniency.

Although we ended up drossing around in mid table, we had a huge squad overall and really did stop the rot. It obviously very easily could have got even worse.

Hate to think the state we'd be in without the doc. Looking at Sunderland, pretty sure we'd have gone down last season.

Cheers Tone.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I actually think their last minute loss to Wolves was a bigger factor. 

Maybe a combination of factors. I doubt they have the strongest squad either. 

Biggest theats to second still Fulham and Derby for me. 

I can see Cardiff dropping more points. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Hate to think the state we'd be in without the doc. Looking at Sunderland, pretty sure we'd have gone down last season.

Cheers Tone.

I must say I laughed when certain pundits said we could get consecutively relegated as our club was so badly run under Lerner, but Sunderland look to be heading that way under Short. The sale of the club was so important. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

I must say I laughed when certain pundits said we could get consecutively relegated as our club was so badly run under Lerner, but Sunderland look to be heading that way under Short. The sale of the club was so important. 

Even though us and Sunderland were in similar situations, we were genuinely worse when we went down, if not for the Doc I think we'd have actually finished bottom last season

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

I actually think their last minute loss to Wolves was a bigger factor. 

I think the absolute sholacking we gave them was even bigger. I said at the time to lose in the manner they did might finish their season.

If you make a few individual errors and lose heavily that's one thing, to be humiliated by a rival 5-0 when you've not played all that badly is another. An experienced team might have enough about them to recover quickly, Bristol however look like the legs have gone from under them. 

There's still time for them to turn it around of course, but they better do it quick. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Too many games. League cup has killed their promotion hopes.

This is why I wasn't bothered about going out to Peterborough we would have had meaningless games as we are Hirt winning the fa cup. Better to be out and put 100% dedication to the league. Bruce has turned it around and even some posters who are not that keen on Bruce have shown their support to him these last few weeks.

great stuff let's hope it continues a aunited villatalk can only be a good thing towards the end of the season !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

You are managing Bristol mate. 

I think it has all gone to his head.177EA1DE-4101-48FA-A1FD-4E47030402BA.jpe

One win in 9 games - similar to last season , good start then tits up from December - not so cocky now Jonno ;)

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe a combination of factors. I doubt they have the strongest squad either. 

Biggest theats to second still Fulham and Derby for me. 

I can see Cardiff dropping more points. 

Agreed , villa Fulham and derby - forget the rest ;)

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

You are managing Bristol mate. 

I think it has all gone to his head.177EA1DE-4101-48FA-A1FD-4E47030402BA.jpe

Look at that daft coat... he thinks he’s managing Barcelona in the 70s. He’ll try and sign Mark Hughes soon. 

Two more losses and he’ll be gone I think, that’s football these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, weedman said:

Even though us and Sunderland were in similar situations, we were genuinely worse when we went down, if not for the Doc I think we'd have actually finished bottom last season

The difference is that Lerner was willing to take a hit on the sale of the club, Short is determined to claw back everything he put into the club.

There really should be some actions that can be taken against someone like Short, who is destroying one of the original members of the first ever league.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

The difference is that Lerner was willing to take a hit on the sale of the club, Short is determined to claw back everything he put into the club.

There really should be some actions that can be taken against someone like Short, who is destroying one of the original members of the first ever league.

I thought it was more of a case of years of mismanagement and now being hampered by FFP? They would give a manager money to spend. Sack him, survive with the next manager and then again give him money to spend, sack him, survive Again. This went on for about 5 years. They finally found a manager that would give them stability in Sam and England poached him. 

Now they are not allowed to spend any more money to try get themselves out of the mess they are in. 

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought it was more of a case of years of mismanagement and now being hampered by FFP? They would give a manager money to spend. Sack him, survive with the next manager and then again give him money to spend, sack him, survive Again. This went on for about 5 years. They finally found a manager that would give them stability in Sam and England poached him. 

Now they are not allowed to spend any more money to try get themselves out of the mess they are in. 

A good friend is a Sunderland supporter. He thinks parachute payments were used to claw back the owner's outlay. He tells me minimum money has been spent on the team for years, and thinks FFP is just a convenient excuse.

A shame about Sam - my friend was gutted when he left. He felt, as you say, that he would have stabilised them.