Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

I watched the game last night and his timing was off. Made runs too early and was caught offside. He had a decent chance when he went around the keeper but touch was poor and was forced too wide. He also had a shot just as he was taken off that he should have done better with. The entire team were poor, hard to pick Hogan out anymore than anyone else. 

Agree. I watched just him (very dull evening) and was going to say just that.  Also, you look again at the one in the first half where he looks to dink the keeper. Repeated viewings (I'm a slow learner) show he just, fractionally, breaks his stride to get (at least in his own mind) a better balance. In that instant, the keeper has made up the ground.

If you rewatch his scoring run for Brentford there are similar chances and he snaps them up.

Was that a purple patch ? Has his injury just affected that vital split second of timing ? Or just marginally altered his confidence in a challenge ?

I don't know. But in a crap game, against crap opposition, he looked crap.

I've nothing against the guy, for a while I was one who thought Bruces style killed him.  But that was a long time ago. He needs to go.

• Like 1

The guy has said he will score 25 goals if he has a run of games on numerous occasions now and has never delivered.

Complete wasteman, loan him out to the championship which is his level.

4 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Still can’t get over some of the bile being aimed at the bloke.

He signed a contract that was offered to him, he wasn’t worth the money that someone else bid for him, he came here and tried to do his job but failed...

He hasn’t been anywhere near as unprofessional as some other players we have had in the not-so-distant past.

Ok, he isn’t a very good footballer (or at least not good enough for where we want to be)... but some of the nastiness I’ve read in this thread about him? I don’t get it...

Poor players take the flak..

Its how its always been.

1 hour ago, Sid4ever said:

I can see the need for a poll now, Hogan or Bolassi as biggest wasteman, calling @Demitri_C to the thread.

I’ll still give it to bolaise. Guys was the worst. We literally paid a fortune to get him fit then he pissed off. Complete and utter wasteman.

hogan is just garbage

Speaks well again. It's just the video of those quotes floating around but always sounds different to reading it. I say he speaks well...the words are correct, but not getting much feeling from him there. He doesn't think he'll be getting back into the Villa squad.

Great shout last page on Sunderland. Perfect. Hopefully big bullies of the division. Get in there, fire them up and sign for them next summer. Path is there Scotty.

If we don't get some forwards in soon he'll be kept hold of and coming to USA with us. That'll ruffle some feathers.

I am quite sure he will be with us until the end of the window and will then go out on loan to the highest bidder, if only because I think we will have to do the same for some of the players we want to get in.  Hopefully he'll be next season's Tammy in the Championship... well we can hope.

15 hours ago, romavillan said:

His post match interview was interesting. he said he needs a run of games and he'll get back in the goals. well actually he said if he played 40 games he'd get 20-25 goals! right attitude, talked about needing to get his head down and force his way in the side too.

I struggle to see that happening for him with us though to be honest. Be great to be proved wrong but long shot now.

Is his argument here that if he started every game for us next season, he would score roughly the same or maybe slightly more than Salah and Aubameyang did this season?

Consider me somewhat skeptical. 

• Like 1

Yeah. I would love it if he worked out here but.... with all the goodwill in the world, he has looked lost and disconnected from the way the team was playing when he did get chances with us.  Even under Smith..

Its really tough t see how he can meaningfully help us next season.

Happy to be wrong of course.

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I’ll still give it to bolaise. Guys was the worst. We literally paid a fortune to get him fit then he pissed off. Complete and utter wasteman.

hogan is just garbage

Didn't Bolasie do us a favour saying he was crocked and returning so we didn't have to pay his inflated wages? Pretty sure he did a Collins

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Speaks well again. It's just the video of those quotes floating around but always sounds different to reading it. I say he speaks well...the words are correct, but not getting much feeling from him there. He doesn't think he'll be getting back into the Villa squad.

Great shout last page on Sunderland. Perfect. Hopefully big bullies of the division. Get in there, fire them up and sign for them next summer. Path is there Scotty.

If we don't get some forwards in soon he'll be kept hold of and coming to USA with us. That'll ruffle some feathers.

He does seem a nice guy to be fair. 

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Didn't Bolasie do us a favour saying he was crocked and returning so we didn't have to pay his inflated wages? Pretty sure he did a Collins

I though the same. Plus he played a part in the season with a few goals and assists. 

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Yeah. I would love it if he worked out here but.... with all the goodwill in the world, he has looked lost and disconnected from the way the team was playing when he did get chances with us.  Even under Smith..

Its really tough t see how he can meaningfully help us next season.

Happy to be wrong of course.

He barely got a handful of minutes under Smith tbf to judge. He just couldn't get in with Tammy firing.

Not that I am sure he would have made an impact even then.

If he doesn't move permanently before the end of the transfer window, he really needs to go out on loan to the best championship team we can get him to, hopefully gets a fair few goals and raises his value, then he might become a player other teams see as worth a punt.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Sounds distraught with how his career is going

Props to him that he actually cares, more than we can say for many of our ex players.....

I hope he goes out on loan and scores a bag full, then he can benefit from it and so can we and get some cash for him.

Edited by MaVilla

14 hours ago, Enda said:

Glad to see he's determined to play football... means he'll take the hefty pay cut that will be needed.

2 + 2 = 5 there I'm afraid. Footballers don't tend to take pay cuts so we'll have to subsidise his wages. Also I wouldn't fancy sending him out on loan as he's so bad it might lower his value further. 

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

2 + 2 = 5 there I'm afraid. Footballers don't tend to take pay cuts so we'll have to subsidise his wages. Also I wouldn't fancy sending him out on loan as he's so bad it might lower his value further. 

Nothing could lower hid value more than it is now, he has scored 20 odd goals in a season before, it was the reason we bought him  even if he can go on loan and get a run, scoring 10 goals, that's better than the current situation.

Classic case of a move not working and a change of scenery for Hogan being of benefit to all parties.

I genuinely don't think he's a bad player, he's shown enough at Brentford to suggest that he's a decent Championship forward, but obviously lacking a lot of qualities both in terms of his footballing ability and his mental 'approach', having permanently low confidence and poor consistency, to be a good player for us.

• Like 1

Â