Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

It seems to me that some useful qualities for a bottom-half Premier League striker are a] being good at set pieces (taking penalties, scoring headers, defending corners), b] 'defending from the front', ie being prepared to chase a lot during the game, c] being good at receiving the ball with your back to goal and distributing it well, d] having a fairly high conversion rate as you won't get many chances, and e] not being caught offside very often as that wastes precious chances and pisses off an already-tense crowd. 

It's not that a striker needs to be great at all of those things, but if I think about a replacement-level bottom-half PL striker like Rondon he seems at least decent at most of them. Looking through that list though, it's hard to see what Hogan is likely to bring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

It seems to me that some useful qualities for a bottom-half Premier League striker are a] being good at set pieces (taking penalties, scoring headers, defending corners), b] 'defending from the front', ie being prepared to chase a lot during the game, c] being good at receiving the ball with your back to goal and distributing it well, d] having a fairly high conversion rate as you won't get many chances, and e] not being caught offside very often as that wastes precious chances and pisses off an already-tense crowd. 

It's not that a striker needs to be great at all of those things, but if I think about a replacement-level bottom-half PL striker like Rondon he seems at least decent at most of them. Looking through that list though, it's hard to see what Hogan is likely to bring. 

He always offside and falls over a lot - he should apply for a job helping test VAR 

• Haha 1

QPR apparantly looking at taking Hogan.

Mark Warburton signed him at Brentford apparantly and wants to sign him again.

Wether it's a loan or ideally a transfer hopefully, it get's him gone.

He won't kick another ball for Villa again anyway imo.

I have to say I always prefer players who can create goals for themselves....despite all the ones from crosses Benteke could also do this and Kodjia in 16/17 at his maverick best was textbook example.

Just signing a striker who can only score in 6 yard box and needs attacking midfielders to give him practically open goals always just feels to me a bit of a limited approach...that said Tammy Abraham had no issues playing that role and showing Hogan how it's done here.

He never really got going here, pretty much was injured on his debut then kept up picking little injuries and eventually SB signed others like Grabban who filled the role much better. I'm convinced Steve Bruce really didn't scout him that much and just saw a guy at top of scoring charts and thought he'd just do the same here.

I imagine Dean took one look at him on training pitch and concluded his confidence was totally shot compared to his Brentford days so that's why he was quickly put out on loan even though he was working again with manager he'd previously had good success with.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I have to say I always prefer players who can create goals for themselves....despite all the ones from crosses Benteke could also do this and Kodjia in 16/17 at his maverick best was textbook example.

Just signing a striker who can only score in 6 yard box and needs attacking midfielders to give him practically open goals always just feels to me a bit of a limited approach...that said Tammy Abraham had no issues playing that role and showing Hogan how it's done here.

He never really got going here, pretty much was injured on his debut then kept up picking little injuries and eventually SB signed others like Grabban who filled the role much better. I'm convinced Steve Bruce really didn't scout him that much and just saw a guy at top of scoring charts and thought he'd just do the same here.

I imagine Dean took one look at him on training pitch and concluded his confidence was totally shot compared to his Brentford days so that's why he was quickly put out on loan even though he was working again with manager he'd previously had good success with.

you've been listening to Mr Mourinho.....who said the very same.

I endorse your comment.

12 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I don't really understand all the abuse he gets. It isn't his fault that we paid over the odds for him. He showed in short stints at Brentford that he can be an efficient striker poaching goals if created for him, even though he is not the type of striker I prefer. Seems like injuries, loss of form and confidence have made him go backwards the last years. But as far as I am aware, he has never showed any bad attitude or bad-talked the club. Seems like he tries his best and cares, how does that warrant the abuse he gets? We should keep that for the bad eggs, the ppl who deserves it and harms the club.

Does he get abuse? I’ve seen Taylor and Elmo get a lot worse. Probably even Hourihane.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

8 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I don't really understand all the abuse he gets. It isn't his fault that we paid over the odds for him. He showed in short stints at Brentford that he can be an efficient striker poaching goals if created for him, even though he is not the type of striker I prefer. Seems like injuries, loss of form and confidence have made him go backwards the last years. But as far as I am aware, he has never showed any bad attitude or bad-talked the club. Seems like he tries his best and cares, how does that warrant the abuse he gets? We should keep that for the bad eggs, the ppl who deserves it and harms the club.

I haven't seen any abuse ,just fans reporting on what they see when he plays.

At Brentford they committed so many players to attack, me and you would have scored in their team.

8 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I don't get the way some get so defensive of him. In the last couple of years i've seen Jack Grealish get more stick and abuse than Hogan. Yet poor scott needs the sympathy. 

• Like 3

Should have gone on loan somewhere where he would have walked in as the starter instead of somewhere where he was always going to be a third choice striker. 

Â