Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

On 10/05/2019 at 19:20, YLN said:

I think you're being very narrow in your interpretation of why beast shouldn't be considered a pejorative for black players. Referring to The Chase's Beast as an example misses the point completely. It's something quite difficult to nail down why referring to large black players using terms usually used to describe enormous powerful animals is not sensitive to race.

Beast when it refers to The Chase man is because he is a very powerful quiz opponent. He's also a very big man. No one is making a comparison to a large feral animal. He is just a fearsome trivia expert who fills out a very large suit. He is The Beast, not a beast.

The use of the term beast or monster as it refers to a black football player has connotations of a feral uncivilised enormous powerful animal. Like a large bear or gorilla. Powerful white strikers like Harry Kane don't get referred to in these terms because it's considered that their play is more intelligent and technical, and doesn't rely on pure physicality and strength like a black player. 

It's a cultural quirk that means that beasts like Didier Drogba will find it harder to get into management than Harry Kane. And young black people will read about people who look like them being referred to in derogatory, dehumanising terms in ways that white people will not. 

(Yes Harry Kane got referred to as a beast by an opposition player after some match against Dortmund, but also within those results "Harry Kane's deadly artistry fires Spurs past Dortmund")

This isn't relegated to just football and the UK too. Key and Peele once satirized the very same phenomenon you're referring to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Baggies need a striker 🙃

I think he would be excellent for them. They’re the big boys down there now and should be showing it by raiding PL clubs. At £15 million he’d be a snip for a PL striker. I hope we can keep him, but what can you do if a big offer comes in??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I wonder if Sheffield Wednesday need a target man

The worst part of Bruce's reign here was definitely that period at the start of 17/18 where we inexplicably used Hogan as a target man, just pumping long balls at him all game and getting absolutely mauled by Reading and Cardiff.

Â