Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Over who though? Because if you say he deserves a chance then that stops others having their chance, as we can only play with 1 or 2 strikers. What about davis and rhm? Do they deserve the chance? Kodjia and abraham certainly do. 

Hogan should be near the bottom of the pecking order and will have to wait for something to happen which presents him with a chance.

His having a chance does not preclude anyone else having one. I'm not talking of dropping someone from the team or from the bench to accommodate him immediately. Places are there for players to earn now and he needs to do that as do the other players that you mention. 

14 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

He was awful and tapped it in about three times. He went back to not scoring and better players replaced him.

Not really true though is it. He's scored a few cracking goals for us. The header at Wigan was lovely, and that smashing volley...I think against wigan also in the cup.

He can finish no question.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 12:42, Demitri_C said:

I think time will tell now with Hogan despite our differences on this subject. If he can't perform under smith who got the best of him at Brentford then he has no excuses now to hide behind.

I think we will see alot better from Hogan with Smith here

My thoughts exactly.

DS won't suddenly revert to Bruceball. He will carry on in the same vain when at Brentford so we'll find out pretty quickly whether Hogan is indeed crap or starts to repeat his goalscoring form at his previous club, if selected?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I wouldn’t expect him to be starting before Tammy or Kodjia at the moment, they’re both too good and too dangerous. 

personally i think he's a lazy **** with a touch of roy of the rovers about him and absolutely awful movement who is prone to coasting through games

all depends on who fits what smith is trying to do and who looks better on the training pitch, if hogan started vs swansea and kodjia was on the bench i wouldnt be fussed in the slightest

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Up there with Angel as a player who has so many excuses thrown out for such terrible performances. 

I get that Hogan has been a flop here so far, but I really struggle why you are so negative on him now smith has come in. I’d like to hope smith plays him right and we start getting a return on our investment. A fit and firing Hogan can only be a benefit to the team 

41 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I get that Hogan has been a flop here so far, but I really struggle why you are so negative on him now smith has come in. I’d like to hope smith plays him right and we start getting a return on our investment. A fit and firing Hogan can only be a benefit to the team 

I'm not against him becoming better. That would be a massive advantage. I just don't rate him and doubt he will be amazing for us. 

And as much as I hated Bruce, there's no way Scott Hogan gets away with his abysmal performances for 2 years by having everything else blamed for them. 

Watching that video- and especially goals scored with well-timed runs through the back line - reminds me of Greaves in his pomp. Goals l8ke those - where he always rounded the keeper and slipped it into an empty net - were his trademark.

Not that SH is at that level, mind.

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I'll never forget watching Hogan's debut for Villa just down the road at Forest a few days after he joined us.

I turned to my mate and said "Hogan will be a flop under Bruce" and so it proved, it was so bloody obvious even from that first game.

Grealish was too deep/wide to get the ball to him quickly enough and even when he was close enough he moved it too slowly as he is prone to do at times.

The rest of the players just weren't on Hogan's wave length and we weren't set up in any way to play to his strengths, it took me about 20-25 mins to call it and only took slightly longer for it to dawn on Hogan who by half time was getting frustrated that not one of his runs got picked out.

That was Feb 2017 and every day since then has been an utter waste of Hogan's time at the club, meanwhile Bruce bleated about not having money to spend... but I won't go there...

This thread is full of posts from the months that followed with people saying Hogan should work harder, do more, adapt his game etc. It was then as it is now, nonsense. 

We signed player it seems based on his scoring record but without carrying out any scouting to understand how he scored his goals then made zero attempt to play to his strengths. It was quite simple moronic management from Bruce.

I bet Hogan can't believe his luck that Smith has followed him here, I think we will see a very different player and I can't wait.

Spot on. So glad you are back on here.

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I'll never forget watching Hogan's debut for Villa just down the road at Forest a few days after he joined us.

I turned to my mate and said "Hogan will be a flop under Bruce" and so it proved, it was so bloody obvious even from that first game.

Pretty depressing really. I didn’t think this at the time - Hogan’s debut filled me with hope. A forward who runs off defenders into space, who creates openings for others and looks to get on the end of things. I thought we were in for a right treat. For me, it was one of the more promising debuts in a long time.

Turns out your suspicions were right. Whilst Kodjia does the whole coming deep, holding up the ball, working his own magic thing; he’s not as intelligent off the ball at all. That played into whatever Bruce was trying to do. Any attack he used was better when it was about force. Keinan Davis came on the scene and did well because he was forceful. Stopping those forwards is, typically, easier than those who are mobile - and then we struggled to openly score.

I’m intrigued to see if Smith can reignite Hogan’s spark. If he can, we have a true poacher on our hands. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not against him becoming better. That would be a massive advantage. I just don't rate him and doubt he will be amazing for us. 

And as much as I hated Bruce, there's no way Scott Hogan gets away with his abysmal performances for 2 years by having everything else blamed for them. 

And you hated Lambert.. Is there anyone/anything connected with Villa you do like or enjoy?

And how can you hate someone at a football club?  It must be quite jarring holding such a vitriolic feeling over something you have no control over and can't affect.. 

Anyway, Hogan hasn't been good here, I know it, we know it, he knows it.  People have made excuses for him etc, but now he has no where to hide.  It's sink or swim time now. 

It seems his skill is timing his runs, being in the box and having chances created for him.  Over the last X months, we've relied on balls in the box, limited chance creation and more physical forwards.  Let's hope we get to see the best of him in the coming months.

Good luck Scott! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

And you hated Lambert.. Is there anyone/anything connected with Villa you do like or enjoy?

And how can you hate someone at a football club?  It must be quite jarring holding such a vitriolic feeling over something you have no control over and can't affect.. 

Anyway, Hogan hasn't been good here, I know it, we know it, he knows it.  People have made excuses for him etc, but now he has no where to hide.  It's sink or swim time now. 

It seems his skill is timing his runs, being in the box and having chances created for him.  Over the last X months, we've relied on balls in the box, limited chance creation and more physical forwards.  Let's hope we get to see the best of him in the coming months.

Good luck Scott! 

I hated him in terms of him being the manager. Yes i enjoy lots of things connected with the club, thanks for your concern. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I hated him in terms of him being the manager. Yes i enjoy lots of things connected with the club, thanks for your concern. 

Glad to hear. 

It is concerning because you should enjoy it.  Being shit is half the fun of being a Villa fan :) 

• Haha 1

Even though he worked under Smith and scored goals under Smith I would have thought he would still have a hard time getting back in with Abraham up top, then Kodjia too.

He must be very confident of getting back amongst the goals to be putting it out on social media like this. I wonder what conversations have took place.

Even with Smith coming in I just get the feeling it just isn't going to work out for Hogan here now.

I imagine the club will be forced to sell off players in January to bring in cash.

Can't really afford to have £40m worth of striker "talent" sitting in the stands, on the bench or loaned out.

Tammy is likely to be first choice, Kodija second choice? Davis will be returning from injury and we also have RHM and McKirdy

McCormack won't bring in any money, but Hogan might.

Obviously it would be great if Hogan got his scoring touch back, but realistically him or Kodija might have to be sold along with some fringe players who are on high wages.

Taylor, Lansbury, Hogan, (Kodija, Adomah) could all potentially bring in a bit of money while also reducing our wages a fair bit.

Being realistic our fringe players can't be 30 something y.o former PL players who cost a fortune in wages and get's 15 minute every other game or so.

Rather than Taylor, Lansbury and so on we must and should use Clark, O'Hare, Bree, Bedeau and the other players developing.

Edited by sne

Â