Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

The most baffling thing about Hogan being used poorly or seemingly not rated by Bruce is that Bruce actually signed the guy.

Why spend £13m on a player who has been successful in (and suited to) a particular system only to then use him in an almost polar opposite system completely unsuitable to him? It's the equivalent of Brentford signing Gestede and asking him to run in behind and work channels.

Rubbish management and planning. I feel sorry for Hogan - he's not done well here, but once again that is down to the rancid cesspit that has been Aston Villa in the last 10 years or so and not just his own limitations.

There's a good player there - Dean Smith has a system that he's been successful in so hopefully he has a fresh start

I am sure he will come good..some of his goals remind me of Aguero like, good & calm composure in front of goal.. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I disagree. I think he's looked toilet for his entire time here.

Bruce's system got the blame. Smith coming in will prove whether that was right or not. I suspect not but hopefully I'm wrong.

He’s poacher so only really works in a team that create a lot of chances. Like Darren Bent.

We played in a style that needed the striker to do so much more which is what added to him looking so poor.  He wasn’t capable.

I reckon if he plays enough we could see double figures. Only time will tell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s poacher so only really works in a team that create a lot of chances. Like Darren Bent.

We played in a style that needed the striker to do so much more which is what added to him looking so poor.  He wasn’t capable.

I reckon if he plays enough we could see double figures. Only time will tell. 

So I keep hearing.

The thing is if he was any good he would show his quality in the odd glimpses where he does get the ball in good positions.

He hasn't done that.

He runs around a lot. That's about the biggest compliment I can give him.

• Like 2

You even have to look at Abraham under bruce. He has to keep coming back deep to get involved as our team under bruce was so negative and creating so little for him. He had to try get involved to help create opportunities 

Always remember last season I was near the lounge at VP and Hogan stormed round the corner to his mate not knowing I was there with my lad saying “what the f**k do I have to do to get a game,me and Henri have had enough,but he won’t even talk to us”

I mean Bruce buys him and then hardly played him,hopefully Smith gets him scoring again.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He had a good spell of around 30 games for brentford. Plenty of average/poor players have managed a good a decent spell and then failed to be consistent.

He scored 21 goals in 36 appearances for Brentford, so if he had a good spell of 30 games that's only 6 shit ones. I can accept that.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

He scored 21 goals in 36 appearances for Brentford, so if he had a good spell of 30 games that's only 6 shit ones. I can accept that.

I think you've missed the point there.

DCJ is pointing out that Hogan's only good spell in basically his whole careers was the length of about 30 games (36 if you want) at Brentford.

People are talking like he regularly banged in 20 or 30 goals a season, has been doing it for years then came to Villa and was crap.

In reality he's had a very average career and the highlight was one season at Brentford.

The spell at Brentford was the exception.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If as a team we can start trying to play through the middle rather than constantly playing hoofball and working the ball outwide, I can see Hogan getting a shitload of goals tbh. He's not great on the ball but is a good finisher. He also has very good movement (which is something you notice more when watching him live) but we never tried to pick his runs out under Bruce. Hopefully that changes and our midfielders will be a bit braver. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

If as a team we can start trying to play through the middle rather than constantly playing hoofball and working the ball outwide, I can see Hogan getting a shitload of goals tbh. He's not great on the ball but is a good finisher. He also has very good movement (which is something you notice more when watching him live) but we never tried to pick his runs out under Bruce. Hopefully that changes and our midfielders will be a bit braver. 

However we play, I don't see Hogan getting more goals than Abraham or Kodjia.

he would have to have a massive upswing to get in our first XI, imo.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

However we play, I don't see Hogan getting more goals than Abraham or Kodjia.

he would have to have a massive upswing to get in our first XI, imo.

It's a long season and rotation is a must, I hope we can find a system to get all strikers scoring goals really. I feel much more confident in Smith to do that than Bruce ?

Edited by PieFacE

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

It's a long season and rotation is a must, I hope we can find a system to get all strikers scoring goals really. I feel much more confident in Smith to do that than Bruce ?

Me too.

My lack of confidence is in Hogan.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He runs around a lot. That's about the biggest compliment I can give him.

Give him a new 5 year 60K a week deal!

Seriously though he'll be lucky to start in 5 league games for us this season. He's our third choice centre forward.

Edited by villa89

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

You even have to look at Abraham under bruce. He has to keep coming back deep to get involved as our team under bruce was so negative and creating so little for him. He had to try get involved to help create opportunities 

And yet he's still managed to score goals........

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Give him a new 5 year 60K a week deal!

Seriously though he'll be lucky to start in 5 league games for us this season. He's our third choice centre forward.

I'd argue he was 4th under Bruce, although he'll probably be more favoured by Smith.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Watch this video and then tell me why he needs a good touch when playing in a team providing assists on tap.

If we get the midfield setup in the correct way with Hogan playing on the shoulder then he will bang in goals. He's a poacher, not a playmaker or a target man.

So many of those goals are one touch then shot in and around the six yard box. He's not seen anything like that kind of service in his time with us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midian said:

Always remember last season I was near the lounge at VP and Hogan stormed round the corner to his mate not knowing I was there with my lad saying “what the f**k do I have to do to get a game,me and Henri have had enough,but he won’t even talk to us”

I mean Bruce buys him and then hardly played him,hopefully Smith gets him scoring again.

Learn to control and pass the ball - not be injured so often.....oh and a few goals might help

Â