Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Scott Hogan says sacked Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce 'hung me out to dry' and made false promises in an effort to keep him at the club.

The Ireland striker has not kicked a ball this season but is here in Dublin preparing for the Nations League double header against Denmark and Wales.

Hogan has nothing but respect for Bruce the man, but when invited to expand on Bruce the manager his criticism is fierce

The player who had scored 21 goals from 27 starts for Brentford before Bruce signed him for £12million in January of last year reveals the frustration of a conservative playing style which saw his predatory instincts sacrificed before a move to Sheffield United was blocked in the summer.

Hogan said: 'The most difficult thing in football is not playing when you're fit. The second most difficult is playing in a system where there is just no way on this earth it's suited to you, you are hung out to dry a little bit.

'It (a 4-1-4-1 formation) led to less chances, less touches in the box. But I did what the manager asked me to do, he only ever asked me to work hard.

'I knocked on his door a couple of days before the window shut just to find out what was going on. Sheff United were very interested.

'I wasn't allowed to leave. He was adamant that he didn't want me to go, he said I had a future playing as a striker and I was assured we were going to change the way we were playing.

'So it was disappointing for me two days later when he signed a striker and nothing changed at all.

'I then had an injury, which didn't help, but for the past five weeks I've been fit. So it's frustrating, but it's more frustrating when there is no answer. If you have a reason why you're not playing, you can go and work on it.

'People say you've got to be professional, train your best and all that, but it's difficult because you know you're not getting anything out of it. My head wasn't completely in it if I'm honest, because you knew no matter what you did that week, you weren't going to play, so there was nothing you could do except go home.' 

To that end, Bruce's sacking last week with Villa in the bottom half of the Championship would have come as a relief for Hogan. He and Ireland team-mate Conor Hourihane have been following reports linking the likes of Thierry Henry and John Terry with the vacancy this week.

And Hogan says the return of Terry in any capacity would be a boost after his season on the playing staff at Villa Park.

'He was great last year,' said the 26-year-old. 'He's different to what you expect, he's almost quite shy. He's not the most vocal but he leads by example.

'As a central defender he's watched the game from the back all his life and he understands things, he understands patterns of play, where to be, his reading of the game... he's arguably been the best defender of his generation.

'So if he can pass his knowledge on that would be brilliant, he knows the lads, he knows the ground, he knows the training ground, the staff. He knows what the fans expect and he has played at a big club all those years and won everything.

'But whoever it is, it doesn't matter, you've got a clean slate. Lads who have been playing will be fearing for places and lads who haven't will be thinking, "This is my chance to establish myself in the team now, get the club to where it belongs and become a hero". Hopefully I can be one of those people.

•  

It begins...

• Like 3

I’m going to stick up a bit for Bruce here though because Hogan really hasn’t imposed himself on any game and even if the system doesn’t suit him it’s not like he has never had the chance to bang a few in or contribute in some way...

anyway, fresh start for all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It's very rational. Its based on watching an awful football player. The idea he is suddenly going to completely change into a good player for us is irrational. I'm sure he will get a chance. I'm sure he won't take it

Well the exact opposite seemed to be true when he first arrived. He deserves a chance to get back to the player he was.

Great to see he has the right attitude. Alot of players in that position would have sulked and just wasted away. I always thought watching him that he had the right attitude and endeavour. Just didn't work out for him the way we were setup. I personally think we were only really setup one way and Davis was the player that fit for the first part of last season. Then Grabban for the second part, with a bit of Hogan in the middle. I'm hoping with Smith that Hogan will find his previous form and some other players will find theres and we can see some exciting football.

Hogan stands to be the biggest winner from the Smith appointment. I think to start with Smith will want to select players who he thinks can best implement his style and tactics, and Hogan probably knows them better than anyone at the club.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

But I did what the manager asked me to do, he only ever asked me to work hard.

Steve Bruce in a nutshell. 

Hogan was treated like garbage. Hogan is a ball to feet guy yet how many times did we see hoofball to him?? He should have kept Rudy if he wanted to play that. The great thing is smith knows Hogan and knows how to get best of him prayibg he can get bwat out of him now

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

But he was once a good player... for Brentford, hence us buying him, so your logic doesn't stand up I'm afraid. He 'suddenly became awful' under Bruce because Bruce didn't use him properly. He may not take his chance, but I hope he does mostly because it will benefit Villa if he does. For you to dismiss that as a possibility before it has the chance to be proven one way or the other suggests a closed mind.

He had a good spell of around 30 games for brentford. Plenty of average/poor players have managed a good a decent spell and then failed to be consistent. 

I am quite closed minded with him because i've seen nothing to suggest he can be a success here. He is technically awful, struggles to get into games and for a so called natural goal scorer has not shown to be a clinical finisher. 

If he somehow manages to turn it round, great. I want out of this league. But with kodjia and abraham here, he really shouldn't get a look in. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hogan was treated like garbage. Hogan is a ball to feet guy yet how many times did we see hoofball to him?? He should have kept Rudy if he wanted to play that. The great thing is smith knows Hogan and knows how to get best of him prayibg he can get bwat out of him now

Ball to feet? His touch is awful and his passing stats are probably the worst i've ever seen for a villa forward player. 

Â