Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Ball to feet? His touch is awful and his passing stats are probably the worst i've ever seen for a villa forward player. 

So basically Darren Bent? 

34 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Ball to feet? His touch is awful and his passing stats are probably the worst i've ever seen for a villa forward player. 

Remind me does bruce play ball to feet? Of course he doesn't. His 'touch' is probably awful because the amount of hoofball he received under bruce.

Watch back his brentford days and you will find if you play to his strengths he has some excellent attributes. 

• Like 1

He went on a bit of a run in December where he scored 3 goals in something like 4 games and we were finally starting to see something from him. Then Bruce brought in Grabban and he was straight out of the team again. Fair enough Grabban got us quite a few goals when it mattered, but you can still understand why Hogan would have been a bit frustrated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MapleVilla said:

Great to see he has the right attitude. Alot of players in that position would have sulked and just wasted away. I always thought watching him that he had the right attitude and endeavour. 

The Villa way would be to give a juicy contract and he not care and happy to take his salary in the reserves for rest of his contract

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ponky said:

He went on a bit of a run in December where he scored 3 goals in something like 4 games and we were finally starting to see something from him. Then Bruce brought in Grabban and he was straight out of the team again. Fair enough Grabban got us quite a few goals when it mattered, but you can still understand why Hogan would have been a bit frustrated.

Even in those games Hogan did nothing else. It was a flash in the pan.

We'll see how a more attack/tactically-minded manager does with him though. 

3 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Even in those games Hogan did nothing else. It was a flash in the pan.

We'll see how a more attack/tactically-minded manager does with him though. 

I'd be ecstatic with a striker who "only" scored goals every week.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I'd be ecstatic with a striker who "only" scored goals every week.

I think that's my point in a way—he didn't do that though, did he? He never scored 'every week'. He scored one week then the next week, as a flash in the pan. After that and before that he has been literally useless.

Whilst I think he is a poor player I do think he has a point about being hung out to dry. We could all see the system he played under Bruce was very different to at Brentford. So this did affect his game and would have affected his confidence. It got to the stage he didn’t even look like a footballer. 

He has a chance to prove himself now.  

The most baffling thing about Hogan being used poorly or seemingly not rated by Bruce is that Bruce actually signed the guy.

Why spend £13m on a player who has been successful in (and suited to) a particular system only to then use him in an almost polar opposite system completely unsuitable to him? It's the equivalent of Brentford signing Gestede and asking him to run in behind and work channels.

Rubbish management and planning. I feel sorry for Hogan - he's not done well here, but once again that is down to the rancid cesspit that has been Aston Villa in the last 10 years or so and not just his own limitations.

There's a good player there - Dean Smith has a system that he's been successful in so hopefully he has a fresh start

• Like 3

I'm sure he'll get a chance under Smith, and if he takes it then fair play to him, that's best for all parties.

I don't think he will though.
I have a feeling he just hit a very good season at Brentford. It's his only good season he's ever had. You see it happen often (Harewood at West Ham, Santa Cruz at Blackburn etc).

He's not a very good player. Abraham and Kodjia are far superior players and I imagine they'll continue to be well ahead of Hogan in the pecking order.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm sure he'll get a chance under Smith, and if he takes it then fair play to him, that's best for all parties.

I don't think he will though.
I have a feeling he just hit a very good season at Brentford. It's his only good season he's ever had. You see it happen often (Harewood at West Ham, Santa Cruz at Blackburn etc).

He's not a very good player. Abraham and Kodjia are far superior players and I imagine they'll continue to be well ahead of Hogan in the pecking order.

I think he’s a confidence player. When he first joined us he looked decent. Wanted the ball a lot. As time went on he seemed to shy away when eventually he looked like he didn’t want to be there but was trying his hardest running around like a headless chicken.

I reckon we could see a different player under Smith. Not a world beater but a decent championship striker.

9 hours ago, Spoony said:

If he can go back to banging in 20 goals under smith then I don’t give diddly shit about what went before

"back"?

The only time he has ever scored 20+ goals in a season was 2010/11 in the Northern Premier League First Division North.

Hogan has had one good season in his whole career to date. Two at a push if you include his season in league 2 with Rochdale.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he’s a confidence player. When he first joined us he looked decent. Wanted the ball a lot. As time went on he seemed to shy away when eventually he looked like he didn’t want to be there but was trying his hardest running around like a headless chicken.

I disagree. I think he's looked toilet for his entire time here.

Bruce's system got the blame. Smith coming in will prove whether that was right or not. I suspect not but hopefully I'm wrong.

Hogan said: 'The most difficult thing in football is not playing when you're fit. The second most difficult is playing in a system where there is just no way on this earth it's suited to you, you are hung out to dry a little bit.

EXACTLY what all of us on VT (except D C Jonah) were saying all along. While Bruce told him to 'work hard' and stuck with hoofball. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Remind me does bruce play ball to feet? Of course he doesn't. His 'touch' is probably awful because the amount of hoofball he received under bruce.

Watch back his brentford days and you will find if you play to his strengths he has some excellent attributes. 

Tbf his touch is the worst I have ever seen. If it is a mindly bouncing ball at shin height you can expect that ball to bounce a good 3 more times before it is under control. I have never seen anything like it from a Villa player.

Â