Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

In his professional career his record is 1 every 2 games. Unfortunately he had only played 2 games! ?

If he stays fit, and we play to his strengths, we have a 20+ goal a season striker on our hands. 

I don't think he'll play enough to score 20 goals.

He's not a patch on either Kodjia or Abraham. They'll be our first choice and Hogan will get a chance when we need to rotate.

I'd honestly have RHM ahead of Hogan too.

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Looked like an absolute bag of shite when he came on for Ireland.

He tried to cross the ball, it went about 30 yards over the bar, that's the Hogan I know.

Crikey - the guy has barely kicked a ball in anger this year - give him a break eh? Let's at least see what DS can get out of him first before totally writing him off.

i think he will get a lot more game time - than your man Bruce ever afforded him

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's not a patch on either Kodjia or Abraham. They'll be our first choice and Hogan will get a chance when we need to rotate.

I'd honestly have RHM ahead of Hogan too.

I can see no basis whatsoever that this opinion is based upon re: RHM other than a total blind spot of Hogan as a footballer - I do of course acknowledge this is a forum on which everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Edited by Dave J

4 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

It's a new era now. Time will tell. I am just happy that we have a manager interested in playing good football. I always felt we were holding the likes of Grealish back by our awful style of play and I look forwards to seeing what Smith can do.

Well said that! I agree.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 03:45, wilko154 said:

Watch this video and then tell me why he needs a good touch when playing in a team providing assists on tap.

If we get the midfield setup in the correct way with Hogan playing on the shoulder then he will bang in goals. He's a poacher, not a playmaker or a target man.

Damn he was a good finisher.

3 hours ago, Killeen30 said:

Scott Hogan will be, excuse the pun, like a new signing now for us. No doubt. I hope he gets a start on Saturday, it would do wonders for his confidence.

Did Smith ever start two up top at Brentford?

What would it do to whoever is dropped?

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd honestly have RHM ahead of Hogan too.

Sorry but that's just silly. Hogan might not have hit the heights that he did at Brentford here yet but he has shown he has serious pedigree at this level. RHM,whilst young, has shown nothing in his few first team cameos so far and looks a bit on the small side for a fella leading the line in men's football.

My personal opinion is that whatever you think of Hogan, or kodija/Davis et al, they are our own players and we would benefit from them performing, whether that be goals to help us get up the table, generally being decent players or get a good sell on price.

Some may disagree but my personal observation is we spend too much time developing other teams players that we will never sign  (walker springs to mind, as well as abraham), regardless of how good they are we are not developing our own talent, or even giving them a chance broadly speaking.

It may be that we don't actually have any good talent up and coming (although I hope the likes of o'hare, bedeau, bree, Doyle hayes etc will develop).....but if we never develop them and give them a chance there is a 100% chance we won't.

I wouldn't even mind if we had the loans in with a view to possibly signing them, but that case seems to be a rarity or never happens.

I'm not against loans that help us to get promoted, but i have the feeling that we have taken loans quite a lot in recent years at the expense of our own youth, and even senior player development.

Edited by MaVilla
Addition
  • Like 2

Even if he's not better than Kodjia or Tammy, it is still massively beneficial to us to have him as an option if Dean manages to get some form out of him.

Pretty sure every team in the league wouldn't mind having a Scott Hogan waiting in the wings for 2 even better strikers.

Now if only we had these same problems for our defence...

If he does get Hogan going again it really will show up Bruce and O'Neil as outmoded obsolete dinosaurs from the days you didn't have to think about systems and player strengths and weaknesses. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Sorry but that's just silly. Hogan might not have hit the heights that he did at Brentford here yet but he has shown he has serious pedigree at this level. RHM,whilst young, has shown nothing in his few first team cameos so far and looks a bit on the small side for a fella leading the line in men's football.

Hogan has shown little more than RHM has. 

And apparently Smith loves using the youngsters. 

I’d start him this weekend. He must feel absolutely buzzing and he would be well up for proving himself. Presumably he’ll also be the only one who really knows Dean Smith’s ideas so that would be of some benefit.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Hogan has shown little more than RHM has. 

And apparently Smith loves using the youngsters. 

At villa yes i agree. But he's scored loads at the club our new manager was at. Smith won't play young fellas for the sake of it either. RHM will benefit greatly from Smith's coaching but he needs to start showing more too on his end.

Personally in my view  I think it shows a  lack of insight to suggest an inexperienced young striker like RHM offers more than a seasoned professional like Hogan - I'm actually a fan of RHM and would love to see go on loan in January for a few months to gain some valuable game time and experience that we might then reap the benefit from - but please this really is doing Hogan a massive diservice in my view.

However as I always say this is a forum and all views are as important as the next 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

My personal opinion is that whatever you think of Hogan, or kodija/Davis et al, they are our own players and we would benefit from them performing, whether that be goals to help us get up the table, generally being decent players or get a good sell on price.

Some may disagree but my personal observation is we spend too much time developing other teams players that we will never sign  (walker springs to mind, as well as abraham), regardless of how good they are we are not developing our own talent, or even giving them a chance broadly speaking.

It may be that we don't actually have any good talent up and coming (although I hope the likes of o'hare, bedeau, bree, Doyle hayes etc will develop).....but if we never develop them and give them a chance there is a 100% chance we won't.

I wouldn't even mind if we had the loans in with a view to possibly signing them, but that case seems to be a rarity or never happens.

I'm not against loans that help us to get promoted, but i have the feeling that we have taken loans quite a lot in recent years at the expense of our own youth, and even senior player development.

I think there are many parellels running at the same time, that also means many priorities also running at the same time.

Academy players do need to be introducef to get first team game time, but equally promotion needs to be gained, that is not easily reconciled.

There is a school of thought, that youth team players need to force their way in ,as opposed to being introduced.....i.e Gary shaw, Gareth Barry.

There seems to me for so long now, a desperation to get out of this league as opposed to building a team to do it.....there is a difference.

I think he will play unless Kodja ups his work rate. Smith will want to press from the front and this will need players who are willing to chase balls down across the front. Hogan playing on a defenders shoulder is his best position , especially when we don't have the ball .

Â