Neil Taylor

One For The Road

Just now, terrytini said:

There’s room for this idea....but I’d rather we were much more on the pace of this League and more settled until,we add this ( often productive but  inherently more risky) option.

The problem there is when do you go for it ? 6 losses in a row ? Scoring the odd goal from midfield?.

We play a system where the fullbacks should be overlapping and adding unpredictability to our attack. Instead we play slow ponderous predictable football 85% of the time in the 2 games so far, putting ourselves under needless pressure in both games.

• Like 1

Taken from post elsewhere...

It'll be interesting to see the difference new full backs make, going forward and holding possession it'll be noticeable I think, huge upgrade. I'm totally against Smith in this decision. Taylor and Elmo out thanks. Spending over £10m on a left back that isn't better than Taylor at everything is not good, I'm not sure what's going on. Taylor isn't a "defensive full back", he's a crap full back. This defensive stuff has appeared from nowhere as people try to understand what the hell we're doing. He wasn't a defensive full back when Championship wingers danced round him for three years.

He is playing well and so I have no problem with him keeping his place. That’s good man management. 

I would have brought on Targett at some point in the second half as a tactical change when we were on top and seeing a lot of the ball. 

There was one moment when McGinn had the ball down the left and essentially had to tell Taylor to get in front of him and provide an overlap outlet. Attacking football is not his strength. 

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Taken from post elsewhere...

It'll be interesting to see the difference new full backs make, going forward and holding possession it'll be noticeable I think, huge upgrade. I'm totally against Smith in this decision. Taylor and Elmo out thanks. Spending over £10m on a left back that isn't better than Taylor at everything is not good, I'm not sure what's going on. Taylor isn't a "defensive full back", he's a crap full back. This defensive stuff has appeared from nowhere as people try to understand what the hell we're doing. He wasn't a defensive full back when Championship wingers danced round him for three years.

Spending X million on someone is not a reason to play him.

• Like 4

Think at this level he looks better as he has more defending to do, last season we expected him to push forward which is not his style

Still cant believe he got me 7 goals one season in FM 

Edited by Zatman
  • Haha 1

Playing him (and to a lesser extent Elmo) creates a fundamental flaw in how we want to play when we have the ball.

We are a car with a flat rear tire. It just doesn't work.

He's even been pretty OK so far, but when we have the ball he kills momentum and makes us a slower team easier to defend against.

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

He will be dropped in a couple of games. We didn't spend £14m on Targett for him to sit on the bench.

Probably true.

However, another way to look at it is that Southampton had a £14m player and he spent a lot of time on the bench.

Maybe £14m doesn’t get you an automatic first choice quality player anymore ?

• Like 1

He's a limiting factor with his inability to cross or make anything happen going forward, this will only harm Wesley and our all round attacking threat. He has played well, by his standards, but we can do better with Targett who is much better going forward and hardly worse defensively.

• Like 3

It would be easier if Taylor had played defensively badly in the last couple games.

He hasnt, hes actually done very well defensively.

Unfortunately Smith's system and the players we have require that positive forward playing mind set that is not natural to Taylor.

When only 1 player is going down one side of the pitch and the fullback literally offers nothing such as crossing, overlapping or driving forwards, not only does it make the oppositions job a lot easier it makes us as a team far easier to defend against.

I'm sure el ghazi is not happy having no options but to try and go it alone against 2 or more players the majority of the time hes on the ball.

It also pulls our midfield out as they then have to give options, happened 3 or 4 times yesterday, big wes and all our midfielders got dragged out wide left and no one in the box.

It's not an anti Taylor rant, its pointing out that the personel we used down the left to good effect last year is not working as well against better players.

• Like 1

Feels awful saying he has to be dropped, cause he has played fantastically well the last couple of matches (and it takes some growth saying that cause I've never thought Taylor was good enough, not even in the championship). And normally I'd say it's your shirt to lose, but unfortunately I think our attacking play is really suffering when we don't have attacking wing backs. Taylor and Elmo just aren't that good coming forward as Guilbert and Targett. 

Then again I am basing that upon preseason matches. Maybe they won't impress like that in the Prem. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

I didn't want Taylor being first choice this season on the basis that I don't think he's good enough.

BUT

He's been better in our first 2 Premier League games than he was pretty much all last season for me.  Bizarre.

On 18/08/2019 at 20:26, bobzy said:

I didn't want Taylor being first choice this season on the basis that I don't think he's good enough.

BUT

He's been better in our first 2 Premier League games than he was pretty much all last season for me.  Bizarre.

You’re right, I think if there was a ‘most improved’ player award so far Taylor would be winning it.

Do you think he starts tonight with Coleman his opposite? That challenge and leg break did seem to really affect NT at the time, not sure his head would be right tonight.

Edited by alreadyexists

Â