Neil Taylor

One For The Road

3 hours ago, sne said:

Offers nothing going forward but once again solid defensively.

I will add thou that I'm not a fan of his habit to drop off into the center allowing the winger too much space by playing too narrow.

He seem afraid to get beaten by the dribble so rather backs off and allows the cross.

I think that’s an instruction from Smith, all fullbacks for us last season did the same 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think that’s an instruction from Smith, all fullbacks for us last season did the same 

Might be.

Taylor did it before Smith as well thou. And Hutton being Hutton didn't really care about positioning.

Elmo and Guilbert don't do it to the same degree.

He showed why he should be dropped late in the second half. 

Ball came to him in acres of space in an advanced position, no defender rushing to close him down, a free cross with Villa players running into the box and he hits it straight out for a throw in on the far side. 

OK that happens sometimes but usually when a cross is rushed under pressure, but he had all the time in the world and no pressure. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He showed why he should be dropped late in the second half. 

Ball came to him in acres of space in an advanced position, no defender rushing to close him down, a free cross with Villa players running into the box and he hits it straight out for a throw in on the far side. 

OK that happens sometimes but usually when a cross is rushed under pressure, but he had all the time in the world and no pressure. 

this one you mean?

i nearly threw my Kebab with cheesy chips at the screen....... :P

video set to start at about 4m 50s, his "cross" is at about 4m 52 ish.

completely agree though, that moment was like a big "TARGETT" sign for me.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

Heaton is an experienced premier league and international player, Steer was on loan in League 1 one year ago
Taylor has played a role in our fantastic rise. Have people here actually seen Targett? what are they judgning him on? 

Smith is most likely judging them on their on the field performances from the past 6 months and what they do every day in training, I trust and support 100% every decision he makes, as he is in a much better position do be making them
Taylor has been nothing less than consistant in our first three matches this season, I just dont understand the scapegoat mentality Villa fans seem to have. 

Targett is an experienced Premier League player too. 43 appearances for Saints. Neil Taylor has Prem experience, but prior to this season his last taste of Premier League experience was in 2016, so on the basis that he was often our weak link in the Championship last season, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to say that he’s a Championship standard player. Perhaps one that is currently raising his game to keep his place, and yet still looking like the main culprit that is either going to ruin an attack or get caught out at the back.

I have nothing against him as a person, and even as a player I think he’s solid, if unspectacular, but when we see him sending a cross out for a throw, under no pressure, people are going to suggest giving our new £13m, 23-year-old, England U21 capped left-back a go. 

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He did ok defensively, but they had clearly highlighted him as a weakness before the game and had joy at times early, only to be let down by their end product. 

He's not good enough at either end of the pitch, for me. 

He isn’t. But the worry is Targett might not be either.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

I think Taylor has his uses. Left side of a back three, or subbed on when we need to see out a game under the cosh. Apart from that I would be giving Targett the nod - he wasn’t a cheap purchase you know, so he was bought to be a starter surely?

its all down to management......Dean will know when the time is right.

We all seen the difference Guilbert made with his pace and tenacity in the tackle.....we have to move on in terms of quality.

Taylor has done ok......but in the long term not good enough.....we all saw the late cross, do we need to say any more.

21 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

Heaton is an experienced premier league and international player, Steer was on loan in League 1 one year ago
Taylor has played a role in our fantastic rise. Have people here actually seen Targett? what are they judgning him on? 

Smith is most likely judging them on their on the field performances from the past 6 months and what they do every day in training, I trust and support 100% every decision he makes, as he is in a much better position do be making them
Taylor has been nothing less than consistant in our first three matches this season, I just dont understand the scapegoat mentality Villa fans seem to have. 

We've always had scapegoats...petrov one classic example. Problem with that is that people then seek the negatives in their performance. Taylor didn't put a foot wrong aside from the bad cross, and was lambasted for it, yet few comments on Jack's shot that went yards wide when he had acres of space. I just don't get why we can't just be happy that a player who hasn't been brilliant for us in the past is now putting in some good performances

If and when Taylor is dropped, we'll have the next scapegoat lined up ready to slate I'm sure

• Like 2

He was fine, nothing to really complain about. 

Don't get this idea that he was somehow targeted given Everton did everything down their left, hugging the touchline and looking for that 1-2 in behind Guilbert. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MaVilla said:

this one you mean?

i nearly threw my Kebab with cheesy chips at the screen....... :P

video set to start at about 4m 50s, his "cross" is at about 4m 52 ish.

completely agree though, that moment was like a big "TARGETT" sign for me.

So poor. Just amazing that's a professional footballer. 

He's been good defensively mind 

12 hours ago, momo said:

People exaggerate

They do.

How have they done so in criticising Neil Taylor in this thread?

The vast majority, if not all, have noticed his good defensive performance and very poor attacking play.

He is unfortunate in that now Guilbert is showing what a modern wingback should be. 

The argument is reasonable, not exaggerated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbie09 said:

Bumped into him at the Reading festival yesterday, took the time to chat with me and came across as a decent guy. Seemed genuinely surprised to be recognised!

without prying, anything interesting discussed? (assuming some Villa talk?)

Â