Neil Taylor

One For The Road

Defensively solid, which honestly surprises me, but just not good enough going forward. 

Guess it's a case where we need to figure out whether we wanna teach Targett to defend, or Taylor to go forwards. 

Having a settled defence is important though, so I'd probably keep playing him (even if I don't rate him), and rather get Targett on a sub the next matches. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

46 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Without checking, I'm pretty sure he played in all our games in our 10 match winning run last season, played in all our play-off games.  

Yeah and he was our worst player then as well.

Cutting our legs off in possession. We can hardly get anything going on that side of the pitch. It's affecting Grealish, El Ghazi, Mings, no one is comfortable giving him the ball.

He's doing a job as we've hardly had the ball in two matches and he can sit there and be a stopper. But my word, going forward...in fact, just on the ball in general, he's disastrous.

The real worry is if Targett isn't as strong as him defensively, because Taylor's not a good Premier League defender IMO.

Targett will add so much going forward, he'll have to be all kinds of trash at the back to be an overall negative.

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

Without checking, I'm pretty sure he played in all our games in our 10 match winning run last season, played in all our play-off games and has been nothing but consistant so far in the Premier League, wish the fans would get of his back for a while.

Another good performance and deserves some praise for helping and playing a part in getting us to where we are at the moment! Thanks Neil Taylor.  

So you’d be supporting Smith if he’d decided to stick with Steer over Heaton for the first 3 games?

Taylor was fine tonight. The only glaring booboo I saw was that shocking cross when Grealish set him up towards the end. But, that doesn’t mean that Targett won’t do better. Elmo was good in the previous game, but Guilbert gave us a difference edge tonight.

Sigh, taylor doesnt put a foot wrong defensively. So far that's pretty much a fact.

However gives zero to the player in front, shown again with trez worst game for us.

I can see him in for 1 more premier game with gilbert in before he is swapped over.

Smith gradually introducing the new full backs.

Defending? Great

Anything else ? Poor.

Yes hes a defender but in our system the importance of over lapping is huge with 1 up front.

4 4 2 I would play taylor, 4 5 1 taylor doesnt even get on the bench, hause over him I'm afraid.

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Everyone knew it was coming. Grealish certainly did.

He was reluctant to make the pass, maybe Jack was hoping like me that he would shank it and somehow it went into the top corner 😂

Edited by Zatman

9 hours ago, Rob182 said:

So you’d be supporting Smith if he’d decided to stick with Steer over Heaton for the first 3 games?

Taylor was fine tonight. The only glaring booboo I saw was that shocking cross when Grealish set him up towards the end. But, that doesn’t mean that Targett won’t do better. Elmo was good in the previous game, but Guilbert gave us a difference edge tonight.

Of course! Smith has my support 100%! I think he's a better judge of player than any of us and this shows in how performances and results that he has achieved. 

Are you saying you've stopped supporting Smith because he is using Taylor? 

You can see players pausing to think about passing the ball to him when he's the only one available to cross it cos they know he'll spoon it. Hopefully a matter of time till Target heeds Dean's advice and wins his shirt. 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

You can see players pausing to think about passing the ball to him when he's the only one available to cross it cos they know he'll spoon it. Hopefully a matter of time till Target heeds Dean's advice and wins his shirt. 

"No angle on except a pass to Taylor, no angle on except a pass to Taylor, no angle on except a pass to Taylor, what to do, what to do what to do."

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

I know he is playing well, but his attacking deficiencies mean that whoever is ahead of him on that flank will struggle to impact the game.

The difference last night that Guilbert made with his more aggressive attacking style than Elmohamady indicates what needs to happen on the left side.

8 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I know he is playing well, but his attacking deficiencies mean that whoever is ahead of him on that flank will struggle to impact the game.

The difference last night that Guilbert made with his more aggressive attacking style than Elmohamady indicates what needs to happen on the left side.

yeah, cant knock Taylor for his defensive shifts.

But, we need more than that, as shown with how well Guilbert/Jota played down the right.

We need Targett to come in behind Trezeguet to give us a strong left side attacking duo.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Will be games for Taylor this season when we will have to dig in. Like Spurs game for example 

Think he is also playing as to not disrupt tge defence too much

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

Of course! Smith has my support 100%! I think he's a better judge of player than any of us and this shows in how performances and results that he has achieved. 

Are you saying you've stopped supporting Smith because he is using Taylor? 

Supporting a particular decision of someone’s doesn’t mean you stop supporting them all together. The point I’m making is that, presumably, you’ve supported Smith’s decision to bring in Heaton (a MUCH better keeper than Steer), despite Steer doing nothing to lose his place.

People wanting Targett is for the exact same reason.

33 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Supporting a particular decision of someone’s doesn’t mean you stop supporting them all together. The point I’m making is that, presumably, you’ve supported Smith’s decision to bring in Heaton (a MUCH better keeper than Steer), despite Steer doing nothing to lose his place.

People wanting Targett is for the exact same reason.

Heaton is an experienced premier league and international player, Steer was on loan in League 1 one year ago
Taylor has played a role in our fantastic rise. Have people here actually seen Targett? what are they judgning him on? 

Smith is most likely judging them on their on the field performances from the past 6 months and what they do every day in training, I trust and support 100% every decision he makes, as he is in a much better position do be making them
Taylor has been nothing less than consistant in our first three matches this season, I just dont understand the scapegoat mentality Villa fans seem to have. 

Offers nothing going forward but once again solid defensively.

I will add thou that I'm not a fan of his habit to drop off into the center allowing the winger too much space by playing too narrow.

He seem afraid to get beaten by the dribble so rather backs off and allows the cross.

Â