Neil Taylor

One For The Road

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I play up front in a shitty amateur league and I genuinely think I could do a better job going forward than him

I think if Neil Taylor rocked up in your league you'd all be absolutely shocked at how good he is on the ball. It's all relative, he's dog shite on the ball at Premier League level but your level, which lets be honest, is worse than garbage (as is the standard of any amateur league in the scheme of things) he'd be so much better than anyone at that level. 

• Like 4

I thought one of the main points of playing three at the back was to allow teams to play with more attacking left-backs, so really it should be Targett, but from what I've read about him contrary to people's presumptions he's much better in back four than he is in a back five, because he's only really affecive going forward when he has a winger to link up with, when he's out wide by himself he's not so good, but then again when Southampton played three at the back their system was slightly different to ours🧸.

What are our 2 biggest losses thus far? Is the 4-1 at VP to Leicester, and the 3-0 loss away at Watford? I remember the stand out players in those games were Ricardo for Leicester, and Sarr for Watford. Both right sided players who tore our left sided defensive player to pieces. Targett was that player in both games, and also the 3-1 reverse at VP to Southampton. We need a much better LB than what we currently have, but Targett is without doubt more culpable for goals conceded than Taylor. And he has cost us more goals than he has provided, there’s a balance to be had which he hasn’t found as yet. 

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I believe I would cross without hitting the 1st man, and pass forward, yes.

can't believe i'm biting...

there is no way, that a premier league right back would allow an amateur player to cross a ball in...you'd be nowhere near the position. you would not have the ball to pass forward either...you'd be pickpocketed, muscled off, or the opposition would just get to it before you. you're deluded mate

sorry to go in on you like this but you see this a lot from muppets on facebook...the "honestly i would have scored more goals than wesley" crowd. i just expect better on here.

and i'm now off topic...i stand by taylor over targett...but they're both shite...i just think taylor is a better defender so he gets the nod for me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

there is no way, that a premier league right back would allow an amateur player to cross a ball in...you'd be nowhere near the position. you would not have the ball to pass forward either...you'd be pickpocketed, muscled off, or the opposition would just get to it before you. you're deluded mate

sorry to go in on you like this but you see this a lot from muppets on facebook...the "honestly i would have scored more goals than wesley" crowd. i just expect better on here.

and i'm now off topic...i stand by taylor over targett...but they're both shite...i just think taylor is a better defender so he gets the nod for me

No, I think Stefan is better than Neil Taylor.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Trust him more than Targett. Don't care what the haters say.

It's all about opinions.

To quote Ronald Reagan, "there you go again". 

Most of your posts in the Smith and Wesley threads are 'hating' par excellence.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Off topic but I worked with a guy and his best mate made a good career in League 1 and 2 but an absolute plodder. Said when he played at home he looked like Iniesta

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I think it's perfectly feasible for a non professional to be better at ONE thing than a professional.

Taylor is a defender who cannot cross, we haven't seen a single decent cross in 3 years. Stefan, if played in on the left with space to run into, could very well be able to pick out a player with his left foot or whip in a dangerous ball. He's not claiming to be a better footballer than Neil Taylor, just that he would be better in that scenario. Having watched Taylor for the last 3 years (mostly in the championship) there's nothing wrong with that claim. In the same way an amateur cmd could claim to be better at headers than Iniesta for example.

Don't get why people would hate him. It's just a game, and it's not a crime to not be good enough. He seems like a nice guy, and I don't wish him any ill.

But he's absolutely useless as a Premier League full back, and absolutely everybody knows it, him included. Teams let him have the ball, because they know it will kill our attacks. That's why Targett starts, why we need another full back, and why we should sell Taylor to a Championship side - with our best wishes - as soon as we can, just like Swansea did. 

• Like 2

Just to back up what some are saying above. I played at youth level with some very talented players (I wasn’t one of them unfortunately) and one in particular stood out head and shoulders above the rest.  He was a winger and got signed by Wolves. He played a couple of minutes for the first team as a left back, but sadly never progressed and disappeared out of football. The gulf in class between amateur and professional is massive.  So for people to say that Taylor can’t play is ridiculous, he’s just finding it tough in the Premier League. 

• Like 2

TAYLOR OUT

STEFAN IN

We'd all have laughed at @AVFC-Prideofbrum if he said he was better than 41-time international Trezeguet but here we are.

I watch a lot of League 1/2, minor leagues, amateur leagues. I regularly see players better than Neil Taylor who earn a twentieth what he does. It's criminal he's as bad as he is with the training facilities and coaching provided. I can only assume he's OK in the week and just shits himself during matches, that has to be how he's survived as a professional footballer.

As well as not playing three at the back until 2020 and consistently playing Wesley through some truly horrendous form, having Neil Taylor in any matchday squads is poor form from the manager.

• Haha 1

We are easier to close down every time he plays because just like Hutton (yes I remember that goal) was he is a free hit that the opponents doesn't have to care about.

With Targett playing Grealish has some one who makes runs and overlaps and helps stretch the opponents. With Taylor you don't really have yo track the few runs he does make because he can't cross for toffee.

If we want to have the ball in the opposing half we can't play Taylor. and when the opponents really pile on the pressure he isn't really that much to lean of defensively either.

Targett will cause more turnovers as he does try more stuff higher up the pitch, and he's far from perfect anyway. But for me it's a no contest.

saying that i think a better LB would help us a lot.

• Like 1

I really thought the notion that Taylor was some sort of reliable defensive figure at this level would have evaporated at the sight of him helpfully showing the Championship's Anthony Knockaert onto his favoured foot on the edge of the penalty area the other day, but I guess old impressions can be hard to budge. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

TAYLOR OUT

STEFAN IN

We'd all have laughed at @AVFC-Prideofbrum if he said he was better than 41-time international Trezeguet but here we are.

I watch a lot of League 1/2, minor leagues, amateur leagues. I regularly see players better than Neil Taylor who earn a twentieth what he does. It's criminal he's as bad as he is with the training facilities and coaching provided. I can only assume he's OK in the week and just shits himself during matches, that has to be how he's survived as a professional footballer.

As well as not playing three at the back until 2020 and consistently playing Wesley through some truly horrendous form, having Neil Taylor in any matchday squads is poor form from the manager.

I'd happily play left back for Villa for 1000 quid a week and a company car

Edited by StefanAVFC

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I really thought the notion that Taylor was some sort of reliable defensive figure at this level would have evaporated at the sight of him helpfully showing the Championship's Anthony Knockaert onto his favoured foot on the edge of the penalty area the other day, but I guess old impressions can be hard to budge. 

Knockaert will do that to plenty of full backs.

Â