Neil Taylor

One For The Road

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Taylor is ok at defending bad at going forward.

Targett is ok going forward and bad at defending.

How would you rather take in a relegation battle?

The footballer.

Taylor last night as usual - look right, look backwards, if no pass on kick it against your opponents' feet.

Number of times he actually overlapped and ball was played into his path. He had the run on his fullback was at full speed against a static defender. He still stopped the ball and passed it sideways.

I despise him. I really do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Taylor is ok at defending bad at going forward.

Targett is ok going forward and bad at defending.

How would you rather take in a relegation battle?

Targett

It's 2020. Defending is barely half of what a fullback needs to do.

Preferring Taylor would be like preferring a keeper who is good at shot stopping but terrible at everything else. In the modern game it's not good enough.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Targett

It's 2020. Defending is barely half of what a fullback needs to do.

Preferring Taylor would be like preferring a keeper who is good at shot stopping but terrible at everything else. In the modern game it's not good enough.

Yep and it's a remarkably dumb post given the change in this system. In this new system you simply cannot have a full back who has absolutely no ability on the ball going forward. It will harm us significantly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The footballer.

Taylor last night as usual - look right, look backwards, if no pass on kick it against your opponents' feet.

Number of times he actually overlapped and ball was played into his path. He had the run on his fullback was at full speed against a static defender. He still stopped the ball and passed it sideways.

I despise him. I really do.

yeah and he had a perfect opportunity to wack it into the box where Grealish was heading. so frustrating.

7 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Its more like Taylor is mediocre at defending and bad at going forward and Targett is good going forward and mediocre at defending

i really don't see it. i think targett is really poor at both. he's slow, lightweight, and it's a complete myth that he can deliver a good ball. at least taylor who's a mediocre defender but poor going forward is an improvement as he's at least mediocre at something! no question, we need a new LB. how many years have we been saying that? it's ridiculous how much dross we've signed in this position.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yep and it's a remarkably dumb post given the change in this system. In this new system you simply cannot have a full back who has absolutely no ability on the ball going forward. It will harm us significantly.

this! was saying this in the match thread too. if we are employing a 532 then we simply cannot afford to use a defender totally uncapable of playing in the wingback role. it is crucial that this player can do the work offensively and Taylor just stifles any attack going down his flank. he seems a proper nice lad but honestly I want him replaced asap.

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i really don't see it. i think targett is really poor at both. he's slow, lightweight, and it's a complete myth that he can deliver a good ball. at least taylor who's a mediocre defender but poor going forward is an improvement as he's at least mediocre at something! no question, we need a new LB. how many years have we been saying that? it's ridiculous how much dross we've signed in this position.

Targett isn't a world-beater by any stretch but he is miles better at attacking than Taylor and hence a metric f***ton more employable as a wingback.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Agreed.
Agreed.

Disagree - his delivery is absolute top notch by anyone's standards, some of the best low whipped crosses I have seen in many a year. Defender's nightmare crossing.

• Like 2

He's not good enough for the premier league, really - especially not the style we're playing. I don't want to be too harsh on him for last night's game considering Pereira is one of the best RWBs about right now and has terrorised many a LB since his big money move to Leicester. 

22 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Targett is very good going forward. Whenever he starts he puts couple of deadly balls every game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He's abysmal.

Whenever he gets the ball in the final third my heart sinks and my brain just goes "Oh well, attack over". It's automatic
And usually it's right

I play up front in a shitty amateur league and I genuinely think I could do a better job going forward than him

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I play up front in a shitty amateur league and I genuinely think I could do a better job going forward than him

people that say things like this lose any credibility to their arguments. ridiculous thing to say. you seriously think you would do better against premier league right backs than taylor? behave

• Like 1

He acts like a mistreated dog that's been taught for years and disciplined to not go outside the yard but who's now with better owners allowed to run free.

Seem terrified and clueless as soon as he crosses the halfway line.

Difficult to teach an old dog new tricks I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

people that say things like this lose any credibility to their arguments. ridiculous thing to say. you seriously think you would do better against premier league right backs than taylor? behave

I believe I would cross without hitting the 1st man, and pass forward, yes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Trust him more than Targett. Don't care what the haters say.

It's all about opinions.

Taylor goes in my team. 100 %

Saying a shit player is shit doesn’t make you a hater. 

Taylor is abysmal. 

• Like 1

In our recent plight, I would have Taylor over Targett. I accept that Taylor is a near dead end in the attacking aspect, but he’s far more reliable defensively. And as things currently stand we need to be better defensively. It’s unfortunate that on the evidence thus far I’ve got Targett down as a bit of a bottler, a bit soft. We hope he, like others, improves during the season. But for now I prefer Taylor’s defensive mind over Targetts brittle mind. Horses for courses. Opinions and all. 

Â