Neil Taylor

One For The Road

Taylor has made, on average, less tackles, blocks, clearances and interceptions than Targett per minutes played. He's also only ever made 3 assists in his whole Villa career, Targetts got 2 already and scored the winner against Brighton. He's just a better all round left back than Taylor. 

Edited by The Other Mat
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Nigel said:

No it isnt!

It is. All the stats literally show he's not a solid defender. I know stats aren't the whole story but for every defining characteristic of a defender Taylor does poorly and Targett does better. Taylor is average on his best day. 

Edited by The Other Mat

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's an absolute myth that Taylor is a better defender than Targett.

I, for once Mr Pangloss, actually disagree with you here :) 

We all know Taylors limitations when it comes to attacking play (or even just having the ball), it's either going long down the line, or he's coming inside or he's going back to the GK.  We know this.  We know depending on how much pressure he's under what he's gonna do before he receives the ball, he's that kind of player.  However, what Taylor is actually pretty good at, is shepherding wingers or wide-men down the line.  Targett suffers from people being able to get inside him, like Matt Lowton used to suffer from.  Crosses are way less dangerous than players getting inside of you (@mottaloo - do your thing).   There was however, a couple of occasions on Wednesday when Taylor let their right back (forget his name atm) get inside and get a dangerous cross in, but with Targett, it happens way more frequently.  

I'm sure someone could do the stats of goals conceded with Taylor/Targett playing, it'd be interesting to see. 

Taylor is of course protected more with the 5-3-2, and I'd definitely like to try Targett as a LWB in that system, which he hasn't had the chance to do yet. 

I think Targett is a little more liable to dive in but Taylor is the most passive defender you'll ever see, I've lost track of the amount of times he gives an opposition player 2-3 yards of space to easily cross into the box when he should be closing down and preventing that.

That's the job of a full back, defensively, to stop crosses coming in.

Given that we've conceded the highest amount from crosses in the league I'd suggest none of our full backs are really doing a good job of this.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think Targett is a little more liable to dive in but Taylor is the most passive defender you'll ever see, I've lost track of the amount of times he gives an opposition player 2-3 yards of space to easily cross into the box when he should be closing down and preventing that.

Given that we've conceded the highest amount from crosses in the league I'd suggest none of our full backs are really doing a good job of this.

I agree with the last sentence.  

I'm not saying Taylor is a high quality LB, but his way of defending will result in less goals conceded because crosses are less dangerous than letting opponents into the area to either square or shoot. 

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Mr. Pass your man onto the nearest player Taylor whilst backtracking.
It's Conor's party trick too.

I understand the logic, you don't commit, you hold the player up and await reinforcements. Only problem is these 2 do it when it's a 1 on 6 situation already in our favour. Don't think I have ever seen either of them engage an attacker running at them. Ever.

Edited by rodders0223

People also seem to be underestimating how defensively beneficial it can be to have a player who can use the ball and be effective going forward.

Even if Neil Taylor was better at stopping an attacker going past him, the fact he can't use the ball and attacks breakdown when they get to him means we're under pressure more.

Part of the reason teams like Man City and Liverpool are so good defensively is because they keep the ball and have defenders who can bring the ball out of defence and help the attacks.

Taylor is a liability. 

• Like 2

Playing Taylor just completely unbalances the team for me as nothing comes from that side of the pitch.  Targett would be much better in this formation especially if Hause can move across to cover a bit more if necessary.  I'd make signing another left back a priority in this window, someone like Guilbert.  I've nothing against Taylor and I suspect his confidence issues are rather deep-rooted and go back to his challenge on Coleman.

2 hours ago, The Other Mat said:

It is. All the stats literally show he's not a solid defender. I know stats aren't the whole story but for every defining characteristic of a defender Taylor does poorly and Targett does better. Taylor is average on his best day. 

'Stats'...... really?

That settles it then!

Just now, Nigel said:

'Stats'...... really?

That settles it then!

How else would you measure someone's performance? If he's making less tackles, interceptions, clearances, headed clearances and so on, then that literally shows he's not doing a better job than Targett. 

3 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

How else would you measure someone's performance? If he's making less tackles, interceptions, clearances, headed clearances and so on, then that literally shows he's not doing a better job than Targett. 

I would use my eyes!

• Haha 1

Â