Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

16 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

He's not a playmaker. He's a box to box midfielder.

These are just words. He's a midfielder full stop. This means that he should be able to get on the ball, make simple passes, link defence and attack and control the tempo of a game. From what I can see he doesn't do any of that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He does the dirty, unseen stuff and scores goals.

I love him.

I mostly do too, I just don't think he's quite realising his full potential.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Risso said:

I mostly do too, I just don't think he's quite realising his full potential.

I guess its all about opinions but I think the opposite. I think he is doing about as much as he can given his ability. Which is no insult - I just dont think there much more to him.I do like though and his attitude is top class

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

These are just words. He's a midfielder full stop. This means that he should be able to get on the ball, make simple passes, link defence and attack and control the tempo of a game. From what I can see he doesn't do any of that. 

Isn't this like saying Jack is a midfielder full stop, so should be able to do what Jedinak etc does?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

Interesting you miss out scoring goals!

I totally agree though, when we look back at our good teams we had 2/3 midfielders could did your definition and goals. who was the last midfielder we had who did all of those? Not wanting an argument but there's a chance that we criticise players who aren't top draw premier league players when we're not a club good enough to attract those players. Hourihane is never going to be a star man, but he is the type of player who makes a team. 

• Like 1

High work rate and covers alot of ground. He has a good shot on him and can deliver a good set piece. 

He'snot good enough for the premier league but hes a strong championship player. 

16 hours ago, tinker said:

He'snot good enough for the premier league but hes a strong championship player. 

How do you know this?  Can you pass on the games you have watched with him in the premier league so I can take a look please?

1 hour ago, Craigy1874 said:

How do you know this?  Can you pass on the games you have watched with him in the premier league so I can take a look please?

A player doesn’t have to play in the premier league for someone to make a judgment on whether they are good enough for it or not. 

I’ve never played in the premier league but I don’t need to to tell you I’m not good enough!

I would completely agree that he isn't good enough to be a week-in, week-out starter for a team chasing European places, but is he really massively worse than Ashley Westwood? Or Andy King? Or Joe Ledley?

Edited by HanoiVillan

On 06/03/2018 at 07:01, Keener window-cleaner said:

My comparision to an Yacouba Sylla with goals was a bit harsch, a more sober comparision would be Thomas Hitzelsperger when I think about it. He also popped up with some great goals.

Personally I think Hitz is one of the most overrated of our players in the last 2 decades. Conor is much better in general play imo

I think when people say hes not a premiership quality midfielder they have no clue what that means.

There are an awful lot of journey men midfielders in the premiership. Glen Whelan up untill last year was premiership midfielder. Look at our own midfield the last couple of years in the Premiership for god sake.

7 minutes ago, heffoman said:

I think when people say hes not a premiership quality midfielder they have no clue what that means.

There are an awful lot of journey men midfielders in the premiership. Glen Whelan up untill last year was premiership midfielder. Look at our own midfield the last couple of years in the Premiership for god sake.

I can definitely tell you that wasn’t Premier League quality. :(

• Haha 1

Â