Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

On 2/25/2018 at 10:26, terrytini said:

He made a terrific tackle that led to the second goal. His chasing and work rate are generally good, he scores goals. He just seems to drift out of games and also takes the easy option a little too often when he receives the ball.

He certainly seems a better player when he gets forward too.

Hes no world beater, but he’s a very decent player.........and his goals are priceless.

He's such an odd player with regards to the bit in bold.  I can't remember who it was against - maybe Fulham, I don't know (think I commented on it in this thread, but not looking) ANYWAY... he tracked his man all the way to the edge of our box, it was great tracking, but then did **** all.  He just stopped.  As if he'd done the "working back" bit and that was it, job done.  Needless to say, they created a chance from it.

He's been really poor the past few games, but somehow manages to come up with key contributions.  Our midfield against Sheff Wed first half was completely overrun by a 21 year old reserve player for Wednesday.  It was **** woeful.  However, having been so shit, he manages to score a goal and set up another (and made a great tackle too?).  Baffling.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KSV said:

Its amazing how everyone sees the game differently.

Jack Grealish looks very easy on the eyes with the way he plays... so far with little end product and hes seen as our best player. (1 goal 2 assists i think it is).

From a deeper position Hourihane has 9 goals and 3-4 assists. 

What more could you ask a guy that is sitting deep? He is making a real impact. How many games has he won us now with a goal or the assist to a winning goal? I could think of Norwich and Sheffield off the top of my head. 

Yes he doesnt do all the flashy things Jack does in general play.. but Hourihane is very effective . I dont care if hes quiet for 89 min but he scores a winner. Hes worth playing 90 min for that alone. His work rate is another reason he should always play. Both our good runs this season came when he was playing. Very important player in our side. I cant see how anyone can doubt this?

You can view this as similarly to how James Chester rarely gets mentioned for being consistently solid, but Terry is King Kong no?

In truth we need all of these different types of players, but the flashy ones will always get the plaudits, because it's an entertainment business.

I've likened Hourihane to our low budget Lampard because it's the same way, Lampard would not necessarily have a good game, but score an outrageous goal or 3 out of nowhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSV said:

Its amazing how everyone sees the game differently.

Jack Grealish looks very easy on the eyes with the way he plays... so far with little end product and hes seen as our best player. (1 goal 2 assists i think it is).

From a deeper position Hourihane has 9 goals and 3-4 assists. 

I agree.

Thus, watching the game is important instead of just looking at numbers.

Hourihane is half the player Jack is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

The difference between Jack and Conor is that Jack has a very significant effect on the way we play. He might not get as many goals and assists but his play directly results in us scoring more and winning games. He's a talisman. 

Conor doesn't have anywhere near this effect on the team and most people here agree he even goes missing during games. So while his end product is great, that's not the end all, no pun intended

But they are different types of players. That's like saying Hogan isn't very good in the air but Davis is and so Davis is the better striker.

Jack plays the more attacking role next to Hourihane and links the play up between the wingers and the striker and so he results in us scoring more goals and winning games.

Hourihane works relentlessly in the middle winning the ball back and feeding Grealish to do what he does best.

It's not a coincidence that Hourihane has been less effective in the last 3 games when he hasn't had a player like Grealish next to him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

But they are different types of players. That's like saying Hogan isn't very good in the air but Davis is and so Davis is the better striker.

Jack plays the more attacking role next to Hourihane and links the play up between the wingers and the striker and so he results in us scoring more goals and winning games.

Hourihane works relentlessly in the middle winning the ball back and feeding Grealish to do what he does best.

It's not a coincidence that Hourihane has been less effective in the last 3 games when he hasn't had a player like Grealish next to him.

I wasn't the one initially comparing them. Someone compared their goal ratios. I explained why the disparity in end product is irrelevant here. I'm not comparing them as players or saying that Conor is bad. He's a great player and and automatic starter.

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I remember looking at our midfielders and thinking "I wish we had a midfielder capable of chipping in with 2 or 3 goals a season." Conor already  has 9.

Maybe my aspirations and demands have taken a hit the past few years and my expectations dampened, but if you are a CM getting 9 goals by Feb I think you should get a statue.

Thing is he probably would have scored even more, had he been played more often in his most suitable position. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wilko154 said:

But Jack is doing a lot more than just the attacking role. He has started working so hard for the entire team, tracking back, winning balls making tackles and then having a positive affect going forward.

I have nothing against Conor, but despite his goals recently I dont think he’s been doing as much as he could/should. As I’ve said before, I think he genuinely just needs a rest, or to be dropped for one game to make him realise he isn’t a guaranteed starter so to go back to working harder.

• Like 1

If all the players were the same, we would have a problem.....the differences and distinctions are the essence to creating the whole.

The "best player" is the one that the beholder values their play the most.

We all see the same game.....we just interpret it differently. We put significance on what we value the most.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

His goals are priceless and some of them have been real crackers as well, but without his goals he wouldn't be much more than a Yacoba Sylla on the pitch.

This is true.

He's got loads to improve on.

He's got to start taking some responsibility of getting hold of the ball and starting some moves. Doesn't even attempt to do enough overall.

The impact of losing Grealish has been devastating; Conor hasn't shown anyone, the fans, Bruce, his teammates that he can take up that playmaking mantle.

1 minute ago, Stratvillan said:

He's not a playmaker. He's a box to box midfielder.

Comparing him and grealish is impossible. 

He's playing central midfield. He should see more of the ball.

Impossible? No it isn't, watch this... Grealish > Hourihane.

In the games he hasn't scored this season, his contribution has been minimal offensively. Goals are great, just look to improve.

They're totally different styles of players, putting their names next to each other doesn't make it a comparison. 

Hourihane runs non stop and hassles more than people give him credit for, scores goals.

He is never going to have the same influence as grealish because he's not that style of player. ( and not as good)

On 03/03/2018 at 13:27, alreadyexists said:

We only paid £1.5million for Hourihane!? What a bargain.

Didn't Milner score about 14 goals one season for us? 

Surely Young got 10 in one season? 

12 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Didn't Milner score about 14 goals one season for us? 

Surely Young got 10 in one season? 

I think it means league goals, in which case, nope, neither Milner nor Young got over 9 in the league for us.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Hourihane runs non stop and hassles more than people give him credit for, scores goals.

He does a job defensively yes. But that's not making him undroppable at the moment. His goals are to be fair!

If he carries on, brilliant. But I cannot see him having nine PL goals this time next season.

If he gets more involved in build up, we'll be stronger as a unit and he'll be less likely to be replaced no matter the division we're in.

Â