Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Thought he was very average and below it for a lot of the game. The goal will get him favour of course but he's always one game away from a really poor performance imo. Needs to show a lot more and be way more in control at home next week against QPR. He wouldn't last very long in the Premier League at all, I'm surprised anyone would think he'd be up to the pace of it. I'm not sure why he's average performance are a lot of the time bundled in with the teams ones, as in the whole 'neither did the rest of them' kind of thing. He's playing a really important position and hasn't impressed that much. His goal return has saved him a lot of hassle imo.

He's a funny bugger is our Conor.

I can't get my head around him.  He scores important goals, but can go half a game barely seeing him.  He's not fast, he's pretty lightweight and he often has quite a weak shot.  He doesn't win many headers, he often loses the ball and goes down looking for the free-kick and, somehow... I really like him!

He's got 9 this season?  An assist or two as well.  He seems relatively calm on the ball and he DOES shoot.. something our other CMs deem reluctant to do.  Hes like your all rounder built for the championship. 

It's nice having a left footed in CM. Gives good balance.  I think he'd really struggle in the Prem, but if he gets us there, then I guess he's definitely earnt a stab at it!

Keep it up Conor, keep getting those crucial goals!

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of Hourihane but I couldn't guess how good or bad he might be in the Premier League but that's irrelevant - what I do know is he's one of the better midfielder in the whole division and the difference between his performances is largely due to the position/role he's expected to play.

When playing deep he looks average to poor but when playing more advanced he's generally fantastic. He has an eye for goal and works hard. That's what we need now, forget anything else til we're actually there.

With all players fit he's got to be a starter, no doubt about it. We've looked at our best when we've had him next to someone like Thor, whereas Onomah is a massive waste of space. Play Adomah, Thor, Hourihane and Snodgrass across the midfield, supporting Grealish and a striker and we have a great blend of attacking threat with the added benefit of players who work hard for the team and will get back and defend.

At the moment I'd say, all players being fit, our first XI practically picks itself - nearly everyone I've spoken to at games wants the same team;

Johnstone

Elmo Chester Terry Taylor (Hutton injured)

Snodgrass Thor Hourihane Adomah

Grealish Grabban (looks v promising vs confidence fragile Hogan)

With a bench that DOESN'T include Onomah or Whelan but DOES include O'Hare and Jedinak!

The thing that Conor has on his side apart from a goal out of nothing is his work rate.

He may not always play great but he never hides and always works hard.

He didn't have a great yesterday despite his goal. But on plenty of occasions he was pressing really hard and put in some great defensive challenges. He just didn't do much with the ball when he had it. He's in our best starting eleven for sure.

• Like 3

He works hard but not efficiently. He's often not well positioned, which means that he tends to go missing in games a lot because he isn't where he should be. 

I think he is actually pretty quick and certainly a good athlete, as he's always  still going late on in games. 

His goal tally has been impressive this year, certainly, but despite scoring a couple lately I don't think he's actually played well. He needs to assert himself on the game more, always be there to offer an attacking option and be in the right place defensively. When he does those things, he's great at this level but he doesn't do them consistently. 

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of his all round contributions but he clearly has a knack of scoring important goals and often from difficult positions, such is the quality of his shooting. With what, 12 games to go, he will surely get at least 10 league goals, and who knows, with a good run of form could get close to 15.

Didn’t watch the match so can’t comment on his overall performance, but surprised more isn’t being made of how good his goal was - amazing piece of technique to pull that off, especially at such a crucial moment. Cant be many CMs in the championship (or even the bottom half of the Prem) who could do that, let alone after running around like a madman for 87 minutes (I’m assuming this holds for yesterday as his work rate is always great)!

Edited by Carlos_the_third
  • Like 2

He made a terrific tackle that led to the second goal. His chasing and work rate are generally good, he scores goals. He just seems to drift out of games and also takes the easy option a little too often when he receives the ball.

He certainly seems a better player when he gets forward too.

Hes no world beater, but he’s a very decent player.........and his goals are priceless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm not a big fan of his all round contributions but he clearly has a knack of scoring important goals and often from difficult positions, such is the quality of his shooting. With what, 12 games to go, he will surely get at least 10 league goals, and who knows, with a good run of form could get close to 15.

It's weird that we've gone what, 5 years with almost zero goals at all from midfield, one of the main reasons for our demise, and now we have multiple midfielders scoring hatfulls. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's weird that we've gone what, 5 years with almost zero goals at all from midfield, one of the main reasons for our demise, and now we have multiple midfielders scoring hatfulls. 

It's just aswell given that the strikers haven't exactly been prolific. 

21 hours ago, sidcow said:

Well, either weird, or a sign that we’ve finally got a Manager who can spot a player ! Have to say the majority of Bruce’s transfer dealings have been just right for where we are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

He is one of them players.......good at some things, not at others.

but his goals are very welcome.....needs to play further forward in midfield, he's not a tackler.

Agree in general but although not a ball winner he does, when he’s on his game, tackle well. A cracker that led to our second goal for example.

He doesn’t like 50/50s much though and we need somebody on there that does.

Â