Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Have to say alot better than gollini amd bunn. If we ca  get him for 2-3mil id take him. Let bunn go and get Adrian  on a free

Not sure that is true to be honest, I didn't think he did a lot wrong and looked equally as good as Johnstone has done.

Unless his head wasn't in the midlands I don't understand why he wasn't allowed to complete a full season personally.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Not sure that is true to be honest, I didn't think he did a lot wrong and looked equally as good as Johnstone has done.

Unless his head wasn't in the midlands I don't understand why he wasn't allowed to complete a full season personally.

Neither was anywhere near good enough. Gollini IMO looked to have more potential (maybe) - but to be honest for £3 -4m  we could and should get a much better keeper.

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Gollini made a number of huge errors that cost us greatly, Johnstone has grown as season has gone on. Gollini cant even get in as number one at the italian club he is at 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Neither was anywhere near good enough. Gollini IMO looked to have more potential (maybe) - but to be honest for £304m we could and should get a much better keeper.

We should get ANY keeper for that kind of money! 

• Like 4

Mixed about signing Johnstone. On one hand Heaton at Burnley has developed from being a Man Utd reject into a fantastic keeper a same could apply for Johnstone, on the other hand he hasn't consistently looked as good enough to persist with as an ongoing work in progress. I'm won't be gutted either waywhich I guess says a lot. 

I personally think Gollini was better and had more potential.

Golinni made a few mistakes as did Johnstone - but Gollini made some superb saves as well. Which I can't say about Johnstone at all. At one stage we were debating if Johnstone could save anything that wasn't straight at him earlier in this thread.. He has made some saves since, but not great ones, certainly not ones where you ask yourself "how on earth did he save that?". Gollini is a better shot stopper and overall better keeper in my view.

Johnstone has gone from being complete dog turd to acceptable though, but with his loan over - I would much rather go and get a top keeper for this level than get Johnstone on loan for another season!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Johnstone seems like an average keeper. It's no surprise that his form picked up when we started playing worse clubs. 

If I could choose between Gollini and Johnstone, I'd choose Gollini every time. Gollini did not have the luxury of playing with Jedinak, Baker, Chester in front of him, and yet Gollini still made some ridiculous saves. Gollini had 3 errors that led directly to goals, but I'd say Elphick and Cissokho definitely played a part in those errors. 

Johnstone has had Taylor-Baker-Chester-Hutton/Bree and Jedinak playing in front of him most of the season.

Gollini had Cissokho, Elphick, Westwood, Tshibola, in front of him for most matches. 

BIG difference there in terms of ability. 

I think you make some fair points there

14 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Johnstone seems like an average keeper. It's no surprise that his form picked up when we started playing worse clubs. 

If I could choose between Gollini and Johnstone, I'd choose Gollini every time. Gollini did not have the luxury of playing with Jedinak, Baker, Chester in front of him, and yet Gollini still made some ridiculous saves. Gollini had 3 errors that led directly to goals, but I'd say Elphick and Cissokho definitely played a part in those errors. 

Johnstone has had Taylor-Baker-Chester-Hutton/Bree and Jedinak playing in front of him most of the season.

Gollini had Cissokho, Elphick, Westwood, Tshibola, in front of him for most matches. 

BIG difference there in terms of ability. 

I disagree with almost all of this post. I don't understand the part about playing worse clubs. He had a poor first 8 or 9 games which included playing teams like Forest, Wolves and Barnsley who I wouldn't call great clubs. After that he's been pretty consistent including in games against Sheffield Wednesday, Reading and Brighton. He's got better as he's settled in imo.

Gollini played with Baker, Chester and Jedinak in the majority of games. Cissokho played in less than half of the games which Gollini played in. Hutton had played consistently since October and before that we had de laet who most would consider a better player. You've just picked the worst players that have played with Gollini and the best that have played with Johnstone. I would say that the organisation in front of Johnstone is better under Bruce than RDM but that's not really to do with the personnel and more the tactics.

I actually thought Gollini was starting to settle but I see more potential in Johnstone, the way he's played recently. My only issue is I'm not convinced we'll be able to sign Johnstone and developing players for other teams is frustrating to me. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

I disagree with almost all of this post. I don't understand the part about playing worse clubs. He had a poor first 8 or 9 games which included playing teams like Forest, Wolves and Barnsley who I wouldn't call great clubs. After that he's been pretty consistent including in games against Sheffield Wednesday, Reading and Brighton. He's got better as he's settled in imo.

Gollini played with Baker, Chester and Jedinak in the majority of games. Cissokho played in less than half of the games which Gollini played in. Hutton had played consistently since October and before that we had de laet who most would consider a better player. You've just picked the worst players that have played with Gollini and the best that have played with Johnstone. I would say that the organisation in front of Johnstone is better under Bruce than RDM but that's not really to do with the personnel and more the tactics.

I actually thought Gollini was starting to settle but I see more potential in Johnstone, the way he's played recently. My only issue is I'm not convinced we'll be able to sign Johnstone and developing players for other teams is frustrating to me. 

I really hate that I have to do this, but here we go. With Gollini in net:

Sheffield Wednesday (4th place finish) - Defense: Cissokho-Baker-Elphick-Hutton Midfield: Gardner-Westwood - Final result: 1-0 Sheffield

Rotherham (24th) - Defense: Cissokho-Chester-Elphick-Bacuna Midfield: Westwood-Tshibola - Final Result: 3-0 Villa

Huddersfield (5th) - Defense: Cissokho-Chester-Elphick-Bacuna Midfield: Westwood-Tshibola - Final Result: 1-1 

Derby (9th) - Defense: Cissokho-Chester-Elphick-Bacuna Midfield: Westwood-Gardner - Final Result: 0-0 

Bristol (17th) - Defense: Cissokho-Chester-Elphick-De Laet Midfield: Westwood-Jedinak-Gardner - Final Result: 3-1 Bristol

Nottingham (21st) - Defense: Cissokho-Chester-Elphick-De Laet Midfield: Westwood-Gardner - Final Result: 2-2 

Brentford (10th) - Defense: Cissokho-Chester-Elphick-De Laet Midfield: Westwood-Jedinak - Final Result: 1-1 

Ipswich (16th) - Defense: Chester-Elphick-Richards Midfield: Westwood-Jedinak - Final Result: 0-0 

Newcastle (1st) - Defense: Baker-Chester-Elphick Midfield: Westwood-Jedinak - Final Result: 1-1

Barnsley (14th) - Defense: Cissokho-Chester-Elphick-Bacuna Midfield: Jedinak-Tshibola - Final Result: 1-1 

Wolves (15th) - Defense: Cissokho-Chester-Elphick-Richards Midfield: Jedinak-Tshibola - Final Result: 1-1

Reading (3rd) - Defense: Cissokho-Chester-Elphick-Hutton Midfield: Gardner-Jedinak - Final Result: 2-1 Villa

Fulham (6th) - Defense: AMAVI-Chester-Elphick-Hutton Midfield: Jedinak-Gardner - Final Result: 1-0 Villa (The first game where we played a back 4 that cissokho doesn't feature)

Birmingham (19th) - Defense: Amavi-Chester-Elphick-Hutton Midfield: Westwood-Jedinak-Gardner - Final Result: 1-1 

Blackburn (22nd) - Defense: Amavi-Baker-Chester-Hutton Midfield: Jedinak-Gardner - Final Result: 2-1 Villa (First game Chester-Baker-Jedinak ever play together)

Brighton (2nd) - Defense: Amavi-Baker-Chester-Hutton Midfield: Westwood-Jedinak-Gardner - Final Result: 1-1

Cardiff (12th) - Defense: Amavi-Baker-Chester-Hutton Midfield: Westwood-Jedinak - Final Result: 3-1 Villa

Leeds (7th) - Defense: Amavi-Elphick-Chester-Hutton Midfield: Westwood-Jedinak-Gardner - Final Result: 2-0 (Elphick comes back in, and we lose for the first time in a while)

Wigan (23rd) - Defense: Amavi-Elphick-Chester-Hutton Midfield: Jedinak-Gardner - Final Result: 1-0 Villa

Norwich (8th) - Defense: Amavi-Elphick-Chester-Hutton Midfield: Westwood-Jedinak - Final Result: 1-0

Those are the 20 matches Gollini featured in net for us. As you can see, Cissokho started in 10 of the 20 matches Gollini started. The Elphick-Chester pairing, which notably did not work well, featured in 16 of 20 matches. Gollini also only had the likes of Westwood, Tshibola, and Gardner consistently featuring in the midfield, whereas Johnstone has had Jedinak, Hourihane, and Lansbury in the midfield. Which one of those midfielders do you want in your XI? 

That graph that showed Baker-Chester and Jedinak playing together has only resulted in 1 loss in 20 matches had Johnstone in net for 17 of the 20 matches.

So your points that Cissokho played in less than half the games is technically wrong, but I am also not including the 4 times Cissokho was subbed in.

Also saying Gollini played with Baker, Chester, and Jedinak in the majority of matches is so far off the truth. With a back 4, Gollini only played with those three 3 times. If you include the 3 at the back experiment, then we are at 5 out of 20 matches. 

This isn't me taking any shots at you. I think a lot of people have a negative opinion of Gollini for his silly comments, and the few errors he made, but if you look at the personnel Gollini was playing with, you'd realize he did not have it easy. Plus as you mentioned, Bruce is a much more organized and defensive manager than RDM who Gollini played the majority of his matches under. 

• Like 4

Has to go back to ManUre.

He is shit.

Pickford is better than SJ. So are both Stoke keepers, maybe one of them wants 1st team football.

SJ is not good enough for a Championship title contenders team.

• Like 2

I think everyone is being harsh on him, however I would say that there isn't really an excuse for having a poor keeper when you're as rich as we are. Buying a top drawer goalkeeper shouldn't really be too difficult.

Â