Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

On 5/8/2017 at 09:34, Demitri_C said:

Gollini made a number of huge errors that cost us greatly, Johnstone has grown as season has gone on. Gollini cant even get in as number one at the italian club he is at 

Atalanta are 5th in the Serie A, having their best season in ages and conceding very few goals with Albanian #1 keeper Etrit Berisha.

It's a bit like saying Johnstone is crap because he can't even get in at Man U.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

I think everyone is being harsh on him, however I would say that there isn't really an excuse for having a poor keeper when you're as rich as we are. Buying a top drawer goalkeeper shouldn't really be too difficult.

We're in the Championship.  We're not attracting "top drawer" goalkeepers.

Even the "top" goalkeepers in this league (wasn't Stockdale in the team of the year?) have huge errors in them.  Johnstone is absolutely fine at this level.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

We're in the Championship.  We're not attracting "top drawer" goalkeepers.

Even the "top" goalkeepers in this league (wasn't Stockdale in the team of the year?) have huge errors in them.  Johnstone is absolutely fine at this level.

I don't mind Johnstone but I'd like us to try and get Pantilimon or Rob Elliot.

Both are top drawer keepers in my view but are probably not rated as such currently.

34 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

I don't mind Johnstone but I'd like us to try and get Pantilimon or Rob Elliot.

Both are top drawer keepers in my view but are probably not rated as such currently.

Rob Eliot who has made 37 appearances in 6 years?

Costel Pantilimon who has made 2 appearances this season because he is number 2 to a 36 year old whom I never rated anyway? 

I'd rather a keeper that would be willing to come and play than one who's happy to sit on a bench and be a number 2. At least with Johnstone he is showing some ambition to forge himself a career.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Part of the issue with these debates is the use of terms like 'top drawer'. Whilst Pamtilimon should be a very good keeper for this level, there isn't a planet in our solar system where he'd be considered 'top drawer'.

Maybe in a solar system where your height is recorded as how tall you are in comparison to a 7 foot filing cabinet

This is a joke about his height but I can't think of how to make it funny

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BOF said:

Funnily enough it's a lot more than that actually.

A 12 stone goalkeeper in today's market would cost £2.3m if he was solid gold :D (£30.7k p/kg)

#EveryoneLovesASmartArse :thumb:

Thought for the day : Pierluigi Gollini cost almost twice that ...

I wonder what I'm worth my weight in. Probably not even broken biscuits.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Costel Pantilimon who has made 2 appearances this season because he is number 2 to a 36 year old whom I never rated anyway? 

I'd rather a keeper that would be willing to come and play than one who's happy to sit on a bench and be a number 2. At least with Johnstone he is showing some ambition to forge himself a career.

It's all in the cheekbones ;)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I just think we should be aiming for the best possible player in each position and I can't think of a keeper I'd want more than Pantilimon if I was building a team for the Premier League let alone the Championship.

All other issues fall into place when you have a good manager in place.

I just really don't like the attitude of 'we are in the Championship, we are not attracting a top quality player or manager'. Even if it's true to an extent there are so many players who fly under the radar or players on the way up and if you can pick the right ones it is easily possible to build a top quality team from the position we are in.

Edited by Michael118

7 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

I just think we should be aiming for the best possible player in each position and I can't think of a keeper I'd want more than Pantilimon if I was building a team for the Premier League let alone the Championship.

Am I reading this wrong or are you basically saying Pantilimon is the best keeper in the world here? :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Am I reading this wrong or are you basically saying Pantilimon is the best keeper in the world here? :)

If I was building a team to climb from the bottom of the Premier League to the top on a budget my choice of keeper would be Pantilimon.

I think he has potential to be the best or one of the best keepers in the Premier League if things went his way.

Will he reach that level? Probably not but if he was suddenly signed by Arsenal or Liverpool for example I wouldn't be betting against it.

There are plenty of keepers that we can get that might cost us about the same as Johnstone or a little more.

Kieren Westwood

Fabianski

Matt Ryan

Matt Sels if Krul comes back to Newcastle

Jordan Pickford if no one from the prem goes for him

Tomas Vaclik 

Darren Randolph

Joel Robles

McGregor (a little old though)

Alex Smithies 

I'd be happy with any of these keepers 

Sam Johnstone ended his loan spell at Aston Villa to the sound of pleas from his temporary team-mates who are desperate for him to return next term.

Boss Steve Bruce wants to sign the 24-year-old from Manchester United either on a permanent deal or another season-long loan.

After impressing in B6, senior members of the Villa squad made their thoughts clear to the stopper before he jetted off on his summer holidays and skipper James Chester hopes he takes that into consideration.

When asked if he wanted to see Johnstone return after the break, the centre-half said:

“I hope so yes.

“The type of character he is, having been brought up at United, he has the right mentality.

“I think we have seen in recent months what a good keeper he is and he will only get better and better with age.

“If there is some business to be done there, it will be welcome. He has shown how good he can be.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-transfers-sign-him-13022795

Seems a popular figure with the squad

Â