Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

Is Johnstone able to catch a ball?

Only saw the highlights of the wigan game but the save from the freekick surely he could have caught that rather than punching the ball away.  Always a danger it goes to one of their players.

Im sure Jimmy Rimmer would have caught it :)

8 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

Is Johnstone able to catch a ball?

Only saw the highlights of the wigan game but the save from the freekick surely he could have caught that rather than punching the ball away.  Always a danger it goes to one of their players.

Im sure Jimmy Rimmer would have caught it :)

Too many keepers nowadays seem to punch rather than catch .

17 hours ago, Eastie said:

I think Bruce would be looking for an experienced keeper anyway in the summer - Johnstone was always going to be a stop gap until then .

He will probably be looking to become United number 2 next season .

Either his eyes are bigger than his stomach (in a footballing sense) or he fancies being a Stuart Taylor. 

Great career Taylor had. Got paid to keep fit and only had to turn up to training and sit on the bench every weekend. If you're not an ambitious person, it's ideal. 

Pleased for him. 

He was performing terribly, but some of the stick he got from the crowd was complete nonsense. 

Count me in to wanting an experienced keeper next season but also be advised, experience does not automatically mean quality. Johnstone could well go on to have and excellent career and we may well rue the day. He is starting to display that he has the tools to do so, IMO. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Pleased for him. 

He was performing terribly, but some of the stick he got from the crowd was complete nonsense. 

Count me in to wanting an experienced keeper next season but also be advised, experience does not automatically mean quality. Johnstone could well go on to have and excellent career and we may well rue the day. He is starting to display that he has the tools to do so, IMO. 

I note he has tweeted his thanks to fans for being voted man on the match at Wigan - a nice touch and although he got off to a poor start I'm pleased things have settled down for him .

ive seen jedinak , hogan , hourihane and Johnstone written off on here after a couple of poor games - people need to give these guys time to settle in .

Johnstone will be going back in the summer and I wish him well in his career .

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

Either his eyes are bigger than his stomach (in a footballing sense) or he fancies being a Stuart Taylor. 

Great career Taylor had. Got paid to keep fit and only had to turn up to training and sit on the bench every weekend. If you're not an ambitious person, it's ideal. 

Yes, I've long thought that Richard Wright had essentially *the* best job in the entire world. 

Master stroke by Bruce to tighten up the defence.

SB: "look you lot, I've brought in a really shit keeper, he cant stop shots, catch the ball, doesnt come off his line and his distribution is shite.

So up your game, right!"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Interesting article on the OS regarding Johnstone, Bruce says that we will try to get him permanently in the Summer, seems like a done deal to me

as Nr.2 I guess thats ok

If Bruce wants him as Nr.1 then I can only say

Bruce Out

I agree we need a more experienced pair of hands between the sticks.

Whilst Johnstone has improved over the last 6 or so matches, I'm still far from convinced he is a keeper for a Championship challenging side (which is our aim next season)

Besides, Johnstone would only be another loan, and we'd be training up someone else's player again with no lasting benefit.

His first game was really good.....he then faultered badly in a team trying to regain its confidence.

He has now presided over 5 clean sheets in his last 6 games.

It appears Bruce wants him and he sees him in training.

I reserve my judgement and I do enjoy young players growing with us, it enhances team spirit...so give him a chance.

Edited by TRO

On 3/20/2017 at 08:18, Eastie said:

SERGIO Romero will hold showdown talks with Manchester United chiefs and ask to leave in the summer.

The Argentine stopper has three offers on the table including the chance for him to return home with Boca Juniors.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2748469/manchester-united-transfer-news-sergio-romero/

If thats the case, which I doubt it is #sun :P 

United will bring in another back up keeper

14 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

as Nr.2 I guess thats ok

If Bruce wants him as Nr.1 then I can only say

Bruce Out

He (more than most) knows how important this position is, and that his very job will depend on him getting it right in the summer.

If he thinks he is the correct choice for next season then Ill put my trust in what he sees and hears every day. 

Im pretty certain he knows more than you and I.

• Like 1

Â