Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

I don't think Johnstone will be our numbner 1 next season, granted he has improved as the games have gone on, he is probably now up to Gollini's level before he left, but yes we do need a better goalkeeper, we had been spoilt in the past with some truly outstanding keepers, now it's all a bit depressing.

lets get Joe Hart in! 

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

He (more than most) knows how important this position is, and that his very job will depend on him getting it right in the summer.

If he thinks he is the correct choice for next season then Ill put my trust in what he sees and hears every day. 

Im pretty certain he knows more than you and I.

Knowing more than you and I or knowing less than you and I is absolutely irrelevant if he makes errors of judgement which cost us promotion.

Bruce has overseen a run of shamefull results which cost us promotion once already, during that run he

1) Loaned in SJ

2) Brought back Gaby

3) made cautious selections and tactics

So like I said a few weeks ago. Its just a repeat of October till he makes the same or similar mistakes which will cost us next season.

He is what he is and cant/wont change.

He's not the man for us

Bruce Out

To be fair to Bruce, bringing back Gabby wasn't the crime of the century, he did decent enough, did more in the games he played for Bruce then he had done for the last 4 years.

Yes Gabby isn't very good, yes he is a knob, but he does have the potential to unlock paths for other players to exploit, I can see the reasoning for trying Gabby out. I don't think Gabby is the answer and I'm sure Bruce didn't either, but I get why he did it. 

Johnstone is meant to be highly rated by all the top pro's in the game, and he might come good, to soon to tell for such a young keeper.

I think even Guiardola over saw a shameful run of results this season with the most expensive team in the premier league, happens. 

For me personally, We need our shit sorted and shovelled, Bruce is the type to get stuck in and shovel it, once the dirty tasks are done, then we can dream of bigger and better things. 

49 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

1) Loaned in SJ

2) Brought back Gaby

So like I said a few weeks ago. Its just a repeat of October till he makes the same or similar mistakes which will cost us next season.

1)  The very same SJ who has saved us points in a recent fantastic run, a run unparalleled by us in many years? He's made some good saves along the way and has really grown into the position.

2) I tend to agree on gabby, but I think the reasoning would be that we've got a massive earner in the squad doing nothing then why not try? It didn't work and he's out the squad now and we have hogan. But of course, he can't change can he?!

3) I think he used the phrase 'batten down the hatches' a few times. A new team thrown together and a manager learning things about these individuals and trying to make a team out of it. And now he has learnt and the players are getting to know each other we win 5 in 6. But of course, he can't change.

what mistakes did he make during the 4 promotions he's gained? Bruce inherited an incredible, incredible mess and he's sorting us out slowly and surely. To want him out at this stage would be suicide for us imo, it would mean more upheaval, probably more changes to the squad in the summer. I firmly believe he will see us promoted next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

Knowing more than you and I or knowing less than you and I is absolutely irrelevant if he makes errors of judgement which cost us promotion.

Bruce has overseen a run of shamefull results which cost us promotion once already, during that run he

1) Loaned in SJ

2) Brought back Gaby

He's not the man for us

Bruce Out

Well, he's not going anywhere for the time being and I'm glad of that fact. 

He's more qualified than most to get us out of this division. 

1) Loaned in SJ

2) Brought back Gaby

He's not the man for us

Bruce Out

At least you are not coming into a thread with an agenda!

Everything you have wrote has nothing to do with the keeper, except half of the first line.

I will argue this half line by saying neither of us know what next season will bring in terms of how our defence will cope next year but Ill accept his judgement as he sees more than me.

Im not sure about how much you see of the day to day workings so ill accept you may know more than me here though.

Edited by Nigel

16 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Im not sure about how much you see of the day to day workings so ill accept you may know more than me here though.

a tad presumtous.

If anyoneon here knows/sees the day to day workings they/we couldnt do anythjng about it anyway.

Thats Bruces job.

So if it goes tits up its not our fault for either seeing or knowing more or less than Bruce.

He is the one responsible.

The creedence of what we post will come if he is successfull or not.

I think SJ was a big big mistake, Me, I'd try to learn from that and avoid making the same mistake again.

So I'll IMHO again.

as a Nr 2 OK

As Nr 1 Not Ok

If he goes down that route

Bruce Out

SJ out too

No coincidence Johnstone has got better at the same time as the whole team - clearly a good keeper who needed to get to know his defence / build some confidence. As it stands we don't need to replace him. 

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I hope he's not here next season and that we have a much better, more experienced keeper. Signing a keeper in the summer is one of our top transfer priorities. 

I tend to agree and I hope that's the route we go down.

However as I said a while back when his form started to turn, the way Bruce talks about him I wouldn't be shocked if we do sign him and I'll back him if we do. 

Johnstone could keep 46 clean sheets next season and some would argue we would have kept them better with someone else. 

Huddersfield seem to be doing alright with a youngster in loan in between the sticks, a keeper lacking in much experience. 

The clean sheets are totting up for Johnstone yet some will solely focus on the bad run of the whole team and, Johnstone admittedly more than many but then ignore the rest. 

I'm not saying he's great but he's not the absolute tosh since portray him as either. 

Careful you don't trip on that middle ground in your way to your over the top opinion one way or the other. 

Edited by Wezbid

19 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

1) Loaned in SJ

2) Brought back Gaby

He's not the man for us

Bruce Out

Give it a rest mate

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Has proved himself to be mentally weak, so my question is why take the risk?

Would you say he also proved himself to be mentally strong with the positive response to his bad performances? In my opinion he has.

Just like everybody else. I have an opinion

Why have you quoted me there? I've not said you're not entitled to your opinion, only that I think it's toxic. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Â