Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

16 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I just hope that if we miss out on top six by 1 point people dont start pointing at any of his individual errors as the reason 

Well of course some will...that's the way it is!

I don't think we can look past last summer's transfer dealings and the opening 12 games for an explanation of our predicament. We went pretty much half a season without a midfield!

Take half a dozen more points under RDM

• Huddersfield at Home - Conceded on 86mins. should of won = +2pts
  • Forest at Home - Conceded on 86 mins. should of won = +2pts
  • Brentford at Home - Conceded on 87 mins.Should of won = +2pts

and just a measly half a dozen during Jan/Feb and we'd be sitting in 6th now.

• We were worth a point at Wolves = +1pt
  • 2-0 up at home to Preston and not winning was low point of season = +2 pts
  • We threw away a point at Forest = +1pt
  • to lose to Ipswich at home was unbelievable after playing ok, definitely 3 points dropped = +3pts

I know all teams can look back at their seasons with "if only" tinted spectacles, but I really think this season we can justify it. Our current position at the top of the current form table is no surprise and until its mathematically impossible....we have to still believe we can sneak in. 

After the Newcastle loss (another game where we could easily have nicked a point if you remember the chances we missed)...we were 17th and 22 pts off the paces. A mere 6 games later and we are only 11pts off 6th place. 

It's unlikely, but if such an achievement was ever going to happen, it would happen in the championship!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I just hope that if we miss out on top six by 1 point people dont start pointing at any of his individual errors as the reason 

Any people in particular:)

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Toxic

Very strong Dave

Maybe. 

I see it as an equal and opposite reaction. You've called for the lad "out" before we've signed him, you're calling for the managers head if he were to do so. I think holding that kind of agenda creates a toxic atmosphere and is counterproductive to the well-being of Aston Villa Football Club. 

It's like the bloke who screams abuse at Adomah every time he touches the ball. Until he pops up with a couple of assists then it's - "well what did he do for the other 88 minutes". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guyavfc said:

I really hope we don't buy him. Yes we've kept 5 clean sheets but that's more down to the defence than SJ.

So when we were conceding that was all the defence then Aswell? I think he's grown since coming here and for £3m I'd have him. Physically he's got the lot and will only get better. He's definitely good enough for us at the minute. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ViewFromT2 said:

I was hugely critical of Johnstone initially. His performances, mistakes, the stats...our results....everything was poor when he came in.

But I am glad to have been proven wrong over the the last 6 games. The kid has kept 5 clean sheets in 6 games, made many saves during this spell that have kept us in front in games and to me that shows the kid has bottle, self belief and ability.

I won't mind one bit if he is our number one next season. Yes he has a long way to go and certain areas of his game need work, but he certainly has the potential to be a very decent keeper.

I really don't understand how anyone can still be critical after recent performances, but each to their own.

Oh...and seeing as though some have used this thread as a lever to hammer Bruce....if there is anyone better out there to take us forward, I've never heard of him!

I will never understand some fans as long as I have a hole in my arse!

That's quite the impactful end statement!

4 hours ago, guyavfc said:

I really hope we don't buy him. Yes we've kept 5 clean sheets but that's more down to the defence than SJ.

Have to say against Wigan it was down to DO. He was superb and I'm not a fan of Johnstone 

1 hour ago, astonaidan said:

I dont think hes good enough tbh, I said at the time get Alex Smithies and still think it. Like if he proves me wrong and becomes a top player, Ill quickly admit Im wrong but as of now hes not a improvement on Gollini

I don't understand how he's "not good enough".  Not great?  Perhaps.  Certainly good enough though - and will have the benefit of playing with this team too.

We already rotate our managers too often, let's not start doing it with the goalkeeper too.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I don't understand how he's "not good enough".  Not great?  Perhaps.  Certainly good enough though - and will have the benefit of playing with this team too.

We already rotate our managers too often, let's not start doing it with the goalkeeper too.

Thats a weak excuse tbh, we should have rotated Guzan long before he got shipped of. No point keeping a weak keeper for the sake of it. He will imo never be a starting premier league keeper

6 hours ago, guyavfc said:

That sort of post where you think, "that sounded like a really great point when I posted it, but now I've had a think about it...." :blush: 

3 hours ago, astonaidan said:

I dont think hes good enough tbh, I said at the time get Alex Smithies and still think it. Like if he proves me wrong and becomes a top player, Ill quickly admit Im wrong but as of now hes not a improvement on Gollini

I'm sure I read that Smithies has made the highest number of mistakes leading to goals in the division. Though I'd have to check. 

I really don't rate him. If he's the option, I'd say no.

Â