Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

26 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm sure I read that Smithies has made the highest number of mistakes leading to goals in the division. Though I'd have to check. 

I really don't rate him. If he's the option, I'd say no.

Guess we will agree to disagree, you could easily be right Im basing it on pure boredom and watching a few OPR games the past few seasons and before with Huddersfield and he looks quality

56 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

Guess we will agree to disagree, you could easily be right Im basing it on pure boredom and watching a few OPR games the past few seasons and before with Huddersfield and he looks quality

I saw a game against Brighton(?) this season where he basically threw the ball in the net. He looked shaky against us too and pretty much every time I have seen him myself. 

There's a good chance I'm judging him harshly, much like many Villa fans may have Johnstone over half a dozen games.

I'd prefer more experience myself. However when I say experience, I'm thinking 30+ and with experience in knowing how to win, consistently. The right experience. Mark Bunn is 'experienced'.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I saw a game against Brighton(?) this season where he basically threw the ball in the net. He looked shaky against us too and pretty much every time I have seen him myself. 

There's a good chance I'm judging him harshly, much like many Villa fans may have Johnstone over half a dozen games.

I'd prefer more experience myself. However when I say experience, I'm thinking 30+ and with experience in knowing how to win, consistently. The right experience. Mark Bunn is 'experienced'.

I thought he looked good against us tbh. Well we can only judge Johnstone on how hes been for us, hes got no previous. I can tell you no one watched his games for Preston. Honestly if I could take any goalie thats on the market it would be Hart, hes a pipe dream while were in this divison. In this league for me Smithies is a experienced keeper at this level with the potential to push on. Johnstone is a United 3rd choice keeper, who for some reason people think is better than he is because hes at United.  Im not saying he isnt mind, its off course my opinion.

Buts lets just have a look at players who are 3rd choice at the top 5 clubs in England

At Chelsea we have Eduardo

At Man City we have Angus Gunn

At Liverpool we have Manninger

At Spurs we have Pau Lopez

At Arsenal there is Martinez

So just looking at the quality there, its not very high. A common fact in 3rd choice goalies at big clubs. Pau Lopez for me is the only decent goalie of any of the top teams whos 3rd choice at least we can all say weve seen him play a bit in the last while

I understand what you were trying to say there but I think you've argued against a point that nobody on here has tried to make. Where he is it isn't in United's pecking order is neither here nor there really.

I don't think anyone on VT has said he's good just because he's at Manchester United? We all remember the Djemba twins. 

18 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

I thought he looked good against us tbh. Well we can only judge Johnstone on how hes been for us, hes got no previous. I can tell you no one watched his games for Preston. Honestly if I could take any goalie thats on the market it would be Hart, hes a pipe dream while were in this divison. In this league for me Smithies is a experienced keeper at this level with the potential to push on. Johnstone is a United 3rd choice keeper, who for some reason people think is better than he is because hes at United.  Im not saying he isnt mind, its off course my opinion.

Buts lets just have a look at players who are 3rd choice at the top 5 clubs in England

So just looking at the quality there, its not very high. A common fact in 3rd choice goalies at big clubs. Pau Lopez for me is the only decent goalie of any of the top teams whos 3rd choice at least we can all say weve seen him play a bit in the last while

3rd choice Liverpool keeper is Danny Ward who's around Johnstone's age and the starting keeper for Huddersfield this season, on loan, who seem to be doing alright. 

13 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

I just hope that if we miss out on top six by 1 point people dont start pointing at any of his individual errors as the reason 

Well if people are silly enough to do that, they need to be reminded of the first 11 games. 

Everyone will have they're opinion but I still say the start ruined us. If compare RDMs spending to SBs I really can't see how people can slate SB for our season overall. 

Imagine if we had bought a Hourihane or a Lansbury before the season started. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, astonaidan said:

Can't get over what an Alpha Super hero name that is.

Knowing our luck we would end up with "Corned Beef Hash the 3rd".

• Like 1

Suprised we still may want him.. our clean sheets.. hasnt been down to him.. hes barely been tested (bar the last game.. a few shots at him)..

I hope we have more experienced keepers lined up. Im not convinced yet

Edited by KSV
  • Like 1

I'm not all that fussed about experience, I just want someone better. Whether he becomes crap or Buffon is pretty irrelevant too, he's been crap while he's been here and United won't be selling him. 

• Like 2

To be fair despite the inexperience I'd take Angus Gunn next season. 

Man City fan i know raves about him and if he can keep Jordan Pickford out of the under 21 side then he's got to be above our level 

On 27/03/2017 at 09:02, Grasshopper said:

Just like everybody else. I have an opinion

As Dr Malcolm in Jurassic Park said "You were so preoccupied with whether you could, you didn't stop to think if you should."

10 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Well if people are silly enough to do that, they need to be reminded of the first 11 games. 

Everyone will have they're opinion but I still say the start ruined us. If compare RDMs spending to SBs I really can't see how people can slate SB for our season overall. 

Imagine if we had bought a Hourihane or a Lansbury before the season started. 

We picked up 10 points in those first 11 games..

If we're being honest, and not just trying to blame the previous manager, then the reason we will miss out is due to the run of 10 games in January / February where we only picked up 2 points from a possible 30.

Even Bruce has said himself, if we had a poor January rather than an abysmal one, we'd still be in the hunt.

I'm not having a pop at Bruce, just pointing out the facts. I just think its unfair that from certain fans Bruce gets a "his new signings were settling in period" but RDM clearly doesn't.

Those 10 games at the start of this year - that was the worst period I can remember in my life supporting Villa (over a 10 games period). I'm glad Bruce turned it around eventually, but Sam Johsntone not being able to save any shots on target in that period definitely played a part.

He did play brilliantly in the last game though, but I'd wait until the end of the season before making a decision on him.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, skarroki said:

To be fair despite the inexperience I'd take Angus Gunn next season. 

Man City fan i know raves about him and if he can keep Jordan Pickford out of the under 21 side then he's got to be above our level 

Which is why he's at Man City and not Aston Villa.  If he's highly rated there, they'll be keeping him to replace Hart/Bravo/Caballero - basically, absolute pipe dream.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KSV said:

Suprised we still may want him.. our clean sheets.. hasnt been down to him.. hes barely been tested (bar the last game.. a few shots at him)..

I hope we have more experienced keepers lined up. Im not convinced yet

He's been a part of it.  The same way that all goals we've conceded whilst he's played haven't been down to him.

3 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

United are going to bend us over aren't they. :( 

Given Johnstone spent his first 5 or 6 weeks here making ridiculous errors and letting in soft goals I really do not think they have a leg to stand on, Jonhstone is a £3m keeper at most. If we pay more than that for him then we will be absolute idiots. 

The only reason Johnstone has looked better is that Jedinak has offered an extra bit of protection and calmness since returning from injury. Remove Jedinak and you'll see a defence who are scared shitless playing with Johnstone, not know if he is coming or going. 

Don't rate him, don't want him, we can do better. 

• Like 1

Â