Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

He may go on to be a very successful keeper in a few years. Next year isn't the year for us to be giving young keepers games. We need someone solid who can do a job, even if it's just for 1 season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

He may go on to be a very successful keeper in a few years. Next year isn't the year for us to be giving young keepers games. We need someone solid who can do a job, even if it's just for 1 season. 

He's 24 and will have over 100 league games under his belt at League One and Championship level, plus 6 months working with our squad/coaches. 

So there is that. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Wezbid said:

3rd choice Liverpool keeper is Danny Ward who's around Johnstone's age and the starting keeper for Huddersfield this season, on loan, who seem to be doing alright. 

The same way our own back up keeper did alright at Huddersfield last season. Its irrelevant how well the team is doing tbh, we just one 5 games and ours has hardly been tested doesnt make him class. Look at Valdes at Boro compared to Barcelona. People who dont watch football will say its because of his injury but he just was never that good to begin with

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

From what I've been told he isn't for sale  in the summer.

So I'm expecting us to look elsewhere.

They must rate him highly.  I would have thought they'd have their sights set higher from an internal squad POV.  I'm not swayed either way on whether we go for him.  I haven't seen enough of the recent games to know whether he's largely responsible for the clean sheets and whether his performances have improved, or whether the results are down to improvements elsewhere and we're still carrying him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

They must rate him highly.  I would have thought they'd have their sights set higher from an internal squad POV.  I'm not swayed either way on whether we go for him.  I haven't seen enough of the recent games to know whether he's largely responsible for the clean sheets and whether his performances have improved, or whether the results are down to improvements elsewhere and we're still carrying him.

Maybe or perhaps they just like the security of having him as a back up they can call upon, who knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, astonaidan said:

The same way our own back up keeper did alright at Huddersfield last season. Its irrelevant how well the team is doing tbh, we just one 5 games and ours has hardly been tested doesnt make him class. Look at Valdes at Boro compared to Barcelona. People who dont watch football will say its because of his injury but he just was never that good to begin with

Valdes has had a good season with Boro if you ask me. They have one of the better defensive records in the league despite their crap league position. 

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Maybe or perhaps they just like the security of having him as a back up they can call upon, who knows.

That's what I mean.  They obviously rate him highly enough that they feel they could use him at their level.  I'd have thought any keeper in and around their first team would have been of a higher level than him.

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Given Johnstone spent his first 5 or 6 weeks here making ridiculous errors and letting in soft goals I really do not think they have a leg to stand on, Jonhstone is a £3m keeper at most. If we pay more than that for him then we will be absolute idiots. 

£3m would still make him the third most expensive goalkeeper in Championship history (behind Matz Sels and one Pierluigi Gollini!)

It's a huge fee for someone of his experience and standard. We'd have to be seriously confident that he's going to be any good.

I'd still rather chuck a 1 year contract at Rob Green, although I think he may have just extended his contract at Leeds.

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Johnstone could do a solid job for 1 season.  There's absolutely nothing to indicate otherwise.  We've won 5 of our last 6 games, conceding 1 goal - Johnstone has been our goalkeeper.

We're far, far too quick to write players off.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Johnstone could do a solid job for 1 season.  There's absolutely nothing to indicate otherwise.  We've won 5 of our last 6 games, conceding 1 goal - Johnstone has been our goalkeeper.

We're far, far too quick to write players off.

In @PieFacE's defence, if I'm reading him right, he's not writing Johnstone off.  He just wants an absolute sure thing for next season.  You say yourself that Johnstone 'could' do a solid job.  PieFacE wants someone who 'absolutely will' do a solid job.  Tried and trusted etc etc.  We need to be going up next season so we need to be removing as many potential pitfalls as possible.  Obviously PieFacE thinks a relatively inexperienced goalkeeper is a risk too far.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

Which is why he's at Man City and not Aston Villa.  If he's highly rated there, they'll be keeping him to replace Hart/Bravo/Caballero - basically, absolute pipe dream.

I meant on a season long loan, I'm aware they won't be selling him in the summer. 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

That's what I mean.  They obviously rate him highly enough that they feel they could use him at their level.  I'd have thought any keeper in and around their first team would have been of a higher level than him.

Maybe they see his potential in training and know he will be a top top keeper in a few years? 

2 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Valdes has had a good season with Boro if you ask me. They have one of the better defensive records in the league despite their crap league position. 

Oh hes decent but hes not at the class people thought with Barcelona. 

2 hours ago, BOF said:

In @PieFacE's defence, if I'm reading him right, he's not writing Johnstone off.  He just wants an absolute sure thing for next season.  You say yourself that Johnstone 'could' do a solid job.  PieFacE wants someone who 'absolutely will' do a solid job.  Tried and trusted etc etc.  We need to be going up next season so we need to be removing as many potential pitfalls as possible.  Obviously PieFacE thinks a relatively inexperienced goalkeeper is a risk too far.

That's exactly it. Thanks BOF. It's so imperative we go up next season we can't take the risk.

I think this lad is getting gradually better as he has more games with us.....It will get more prevalent

I favour these players settling in and getting used to their team mates......Next season we do not want too many strange faces, we want players who know each others every move.

Spink was only young and took over from Rimmer......Sam Johnstone needs to grow with us, just like Spinky did.

I say, Buy him

Edited by TRO

43 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

That's exactly it. Thanks BOF. It's so imperative we go up next season we can't take the risk.

It's difficult to buy that kind of experience/quality though. Goalkeepers are 'rare' to a degree, there's certainly not as many of them as midfielders say. 

We got lucky with Jedi, by virtue of the fact his legs aren't quite up to Premier League standard any more. Yet many fans wrote him off within weeks. 

It's going to be hard to find the player you want, because everyone wants that player. 

Â