Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

Looking much better than he did. Still punches way to much for me and I still struggle to see how he is any better than Gollini.

Maybe he will get better but one things for sure he will never make it at Man U.

• Like 1

He's kept a lot of clean sheets lately but I can't see any of that is down to him being better than he was. Still stays on his line way way too much and his kicking is horrible. 

Made a couple of smart saves yesterday but I think you would have said he should have done better if he had let in any of them. 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Made a couple of smart saves yesterday but I think you would have said he should have done better if he had let in any of them. 

I said similar in the reaction thread. Wigan had the better of the possession, but from the highlights their best chance was from Jedinak's sloppy backpass. The other efforts were either long range or from tight angles, which you would hope most half decent goalkeepers would save. I am pleased that things have got better for the lad, hopefully he is getting his confidence together and will finish the season strongly with us. 

However, I would definitely be looking for a better goalkeeper next season. A new GK, a new CB, new DM are the three priorities for me in the summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

He's kept a lot of clean sheets lately but I can't see any of that is down to him being better than he was. Still stays on his line way way too much and his kicking is horrible. 

Good keepers aren't supposed to stand out, in fairness. They need to do what they're supposed to do and not make mistakes. You can't really ask for much more than that, especially at this level. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think Bruce would be looking for an experienced keeper anyway in the summer - Johnstone was always going to be a stop gap until then .

He will probably be looking to become United number 2 next season .

He is miles from being good enough for the Man Utd number 2... he probably wouldn't even be our number 1 if we had anyone vaguely better. He's done well recently and yesterday pulled off some smart saves, and I like that he seems like a trier. He could drop to league 1 right now and be a decent number 1, but even at our level he needs to improve in my opinion. 

Glad to hear he had a good game but don't want any talk of him being here next season.

He'd cost us loads as he's coming from Man Utd and he's not good enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

He is miles from being good enough for the Man Utd number 2... he probably wouldn't even be our number 1 if we had anyone vaguely better. He's done well recently and yesterday pulled off some smart saves, and I like that he seems like a trier. He could drop to league 1 right now and be a decent number 1, but even at our level he needs to improve in my opinion. 

Mourinho rates him hiGhly and signed him up on a new contract so clearly he thinks he has something , I remember seeing Jose talking about Johnstone when he agreed to let him hIm come here for experience and I was expecting something very special .

sadly he's turned out to be something of a damp squib but united made clear when he came that there was no chance of them selling him so we can relax.

Jose Mourinho said: "Sam is a goalkeeper with great potential. He is a very professional young man with a great attitude to the game. He has progressed immensely even during my short time at the club. I am delighted he has committed his future to Manchester United."

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Oct/Goalkeeper-Sam-Johnstone-signs-new-Manchester-United-deal.aspx?AL

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Glad to hear he had a good game but don't want any talk of him being here next season.

He'd cost us loads as he's coming from Man Utd and he's not good enough.

This exactly.

We have to get this position right in the summer, and for me that means taking no chances, and no gambles on youth, especially not expensive ones. 

8 hours ago, astonaidan said:

Sergio Romero enjoys being at United. Hes miles ahead of Johnstone. Hes no where near making the bench for United

Think I'll take mourInhos word over yours on that one - he's been on the bench several times for them before anyway .

The main thing is he is not going to be here - we need and we will get a far more exoerienced keeper.

Edited by Eastie

8 hours ago, astonaidan said:

Sergio Romero enjoys being at United. Hes miles ahead of Johnstone. Hes no where near making the bench for United

SERGIO Romero will hold showdown talks with Manchester United chiefs and ask to leave in the summer.

The Argentine stopper has three offers on the table including the chance for him to return home with Boca Juniors.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2748469/manchester-united-transfer-news-sergio-romero/

Â