Gareth Southgate

Richard

Did Gareth have a bad time at Villa? Has Grealish said that he won't go to what Gareth calls a 'big club'? I don't get Gareth's fascination with sticking to players who are underperforming and tired when the bench is full of extremely credible alternatives. 

If he wanted out balls he had one of the best hold up players in DCL on the bench, wanted fast runs behind the defense he had Rashford, wanted deft creativity on either wing he had Grealish and Sancho. It's like he's decided he won't let these players play before the match has even started.

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

The origin of that saying is worrying to be honest.

" I've got some good news and some bad news darling. The good news is that our baby is really clean  ..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Convinced the media he was a perfect super sub

Didn't use him as a super sub in the final 

🤦‍♂️

There looks to be some issue between the 2. It’s seemed that way for a while and the recent events support it.

Jack will know that his tweet (although protecting GS to a degree) calls into question the managers decision making “from within” which is never a good look.

We’ll have to wait for the autobiography I guess. 

Has he got something against Jack ?

Fans all over the place ( and pundits ) are saying that Jack is good,that Jack should start,yet GS refuses to use him as a starter.Someone needs to ask him,why is that ?

5 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Has he got something against Jack ?

Fans all over the place ( and pundits ) are saying that Jack is good,that Jack should start,yet GS refuses to use him as a starter.Someone needs to ask him,why is that ?

Again I don't think Jack is anywhere near fully fit so I can see why he got used as a supersub but last night Southgate seemed to want to play for penalties from half time, even though we were winning.  He obviously delayed the subs as long as possible so he had the penalty taker subs come on at the end.  It doesn't really excuse the inability of the team to get the ball to Jack at all when he was on though.  Mount's continued selection was baffling to me, he was invisible for the whole tournament, even if it wasn't Jack he picked instead it could have been Foden.

Ultimately though I'm not going to give Southgate stick, he got as close as possible to winning the Euros.  I'm more pissed off at the behaviour of too many English fans which must make us seem hideous to the rest of the world.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I still think what he did to Jack against Denmark was humiliating and completely unnecessary.

His obsession with a core of players really hampers the team overall.

Its the opposite of what someone like SAF would do. Nobody should be too big or untouchable. 

And he kept Sterling on for that, rather than resting him as much as possible for this game. That worked out well.

• Like 2

I think he tried to do something similar to what Low did with Gotze by thrusting Saka into the spotlight. 

He was quite lucky to even be in that position. Greenwood, Bowen, Rashford, Sancho very hard done by.

33 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Again I don't think Jack is anywhere near fully fit so I can see why he got used as a supersub but last night Southgate seemed to want to play for penalties from half time, even though we were winning.  He obviously delayed the subs as long as possible so he had the penalty taker subs come on at the end.  It doesn't really excuse the inability of the team to get the ball to Jack at all when he was on though.  Mount's continued selection was baffling to me, he was invisible for the whole tournament, even if it wasn't Jack he picked instead it could have been Foden.

Ultimately though I'm not going to give Southgate stick, he got as close as possible to winning the Euros.  I'm more pissed off at the behaviour of too many English fans which must make us seem hideous to the rest of the world.

Amusing seeing a poster above demanding Southgate pick players who are 'on form' like Jack. Apart from a good cameo against Germany and some good play in the pre-tournament friendlies, Jack hasn't really been 'on form' since what, Burnley away last season? If anything he was being picked on talent, and *despite* his form and - especially - his fitness.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I agree with this. The friendlies before the Euros were a way of trying to get him there. How Jack is used for Qatar qualifying will be telling. 

• Like 1

Beat Germany once Jack came on the pitch but before that offered very little in attack. Group stages were dross, Ukraine are Championship level and Denmark fairly average. All that attacking talent and he's rolling out 5 at the back, 3 CMs.

I don't rate the fact he got to a final, it doesn't show progress if there weren't any challenges to get there. Just like if Villa win the FA Cup by beating Wrexham, Ipswich, Huddersfield, Southampton and Everton it doesn't mean we are on the up. 

Nice guy, dreadful manager with a boring style of football.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mister_a said:

Southgate deserves praise for getting us to the final but the line up for England was way too defensive for and he didn't do well with his substutions yesterday.

When Harry Kane apparently doesn't touch the ball once in the opposition's box in 120 minutes of football it does suggest something is not right!

• Like 3

On 12/07/2021 at 18:19, Jono62 said:

How Jack is used for Qatar qualifying will be telling. 

If I was Jack Grealish I would retire from International duty until that arsehole Southgate is gone.

I think if that were to materialise it would send out the biggest statement of all against Safegate.

• 4 weeks later...

**** hate this clown. If the owners want some extra brownie points then can they get him banned from VP please. I hope if he is ever there again he gets booed out the ground. **** clearing. 

11 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

**** hate this clown. If the owners want some extra brownie points then can they get him banned from VP please. I hope if he is ever there again he gets booed out the ground. **** clearing. 

What's he done now?

Â