Gareth Southgate

Richard

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pretty sure thats it. Semi final he treated him like crap and got away with it because England won

He doesnt take anyone else off out of respect. Think back 2 maybe 3 years of this whole Jack being in the squad issue, all the bull reason after reason.

1 minute ago, Hornso said:

He subbed Henderson & Walker for Sancho & Rashford so Sterling was still on the pitch.

Yeah i saw but Sterling anonymous for last 80 minutes i thought he went off

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yeah i saw but Sterling anonymous for last 80 minutes i thought he went off

he was blowing out of his ass, he was spent, said before the game that Henderson and Rashford would get minutes. Southgate has this clique going on, maguire pickford walker trippier kane sterling stones mount rice, these start whatever. All managers have their favourites but its wrong, we must be ruthless, we must win.

Woeful tactics from 30th minute onwards, properly bottled it.

One thing to sit back and be defensive but just whacking balls up and no England player even in opposition half was very depressing to see with 20 minutes left. Didn't even do anything after Italy scored.

Ultimately he's probably in for next two tournaments with FA mindset but his lack of in game management was exposed big time by Mancini rejigging forward line early in second half and Italy dominated from that point up to last 10 minutes of extra time when they were just playing for penalties.

• Thanks 1

Southgate is a chancer, who, to the FA's delight, a better politician than a manager.

I would even rate Steve Bruce over Southgate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJ said:

Southgate is a chancer, who, to the FA's delight, a better politician than a manager.

I would even rate Steve Bruce over Southgate.

Easily Lee Johnson id probably a better manager. Southgate level is probably League 1. He is fortunate to have probably the best England squad in decades

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

He overthought it and let the occasion overwhelm him. Straight outta the Pep Guardiola school of managing finals.

The most criminal being the decision to give the 5th penalty to Saka. Southgate knows all too well how much it hurts to miss a penalty at this level....

.... so he hands it to a 19 year old rookie. Shocking.

that the thing, Sancho I am not sure has ever taken a penalty either

Playing that defensively with that much attacking talent is criminal, absolutely criminal. 

England will continue to be punished against good teams if they invite pressure to that insane degree. 

He's probably got a job for life for making a final but that managerial performance was a disaster from start to finish. 

• Like 1

I feel bad for Gareth. He's a good guy and projects a positive image for England. But in the end, he couldn't get out of his own way. A leopard can't change it's spots. 

Edited by maqroll

Gutted about last night, as we all are. I think he got it wrong, especially by failing to adapt to the Italian changes in the second half. To be fair to him, we were up against an excellent side who have been strong throughout the tournament.

Semi final in the World Cup for the first time in 30 odd years, first final for 55 years - can't argue with that. He's earned the chance to learn from his mistakes and carry on.

We all knew he was a cautious, unadventurous manager but last night hopefully confirmed it to the rest of the nation. 

Everything that went wrong was due to tactics - sitting back, allowing Italy to have the ball, no pressing and making the wrong substitutions at the wrong times. Not to mention his penalty taking selection. 

Italy were gifted their way into the game and grew in confidence every minute we passively allowed them to have the ball. 

Southgate just doesn't know how to use creative players - he's a relic of a bygone era in the Premier League. He can use kick and rush attackers, such as Sterling to get behind defences but could not get anywhere near the best out of Mount, Grealish, Foden or Sancho. Players that most nations would love to have at their disposal. 

His reluctance to make brave changes was further highlighted with some poor squad choices - what was the point of taking DCL?? Surely a better penalty taking option? 

Sadly Southgate will continue in charge but is too stubborn and not good enough to change his ways. The World Cup will pretty much the same. Cautious football that falls short when facing a decent opponent. 

• Like 3

Â