Gareth Southgate

Richard

On 29/05/2022 at 21:12, foreveryoung said:

Southgate could never manage the golden generation. He gets away with this team, cause it's a fairly young squad. Truthfully, I don't know how they put up with his babble, surely must be different when the FA aren't watching.

I don’t think he could manage a golden shower 😜

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He’s come up with a formation and playing style that keeps as much of our best talent out of the team as possible.

It’s really quite an achievement.

Plays to our weaknesses not our strengths 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

It’s the Sven era all over again. A rigid, tactically narrowminded manager wasting a standout generation of players, but doing a decent job in the press conferences.

At least Sven’s excuse was he’d played 4-4-2 his entire career and was a bit unlucky that he was named manager just as English club football moved on to single-striker formations.

Southgate has nothing like this holding him back. He just has a completely wrong analysis of what wins international tournaments. He has confused correlation with causation.

He’s obsessed with keeping clean sheets, but he does it by overloading the defence and DM positions. That isn’t how the best sides keep clean sheets, though. A really good side should be able to keep a clean sheet with a back 4 and one DM. Southgate thinks it requires a 5 and 2 DMs and then he leaves most of our best players on the bench.

It’s **** madness and it’s entirely based on his misunderstanding of statistics. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886j053oernip79lr9sh4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think most England fans would rather see this talented bunch of attacking players take the games to the opposition and potentially lose than the turgid safety first, safety second grind we are getting.

Spot on mate. Don’t mind losing if you have a go. Given the talent we have having a go should be a given!

• Like 1

A huge well done to him for wrecking the Jubilee celebration weekend 🤣

His ridiculous, hippocrytical treatment of our players, especially as a former player here himself, is enough for me to enjoy watching his boring team implode. Cue a shambles of a Nations League now having lost to the Worst team already.

Picks Maguire who as been pretty S*** most the season and Mount who must be giving him great head to get picked in the 1st 11.

Bloke has no idea, picks his favorites and glad we lost. See Grealish started the game in his favored position... 

9 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Cue a shambles of a Nations League now having lost to the Worst team already.

As we saw with Reece James I don't think it's necessarily a case of the worst team it will be who gives a shit the least and I'm expecting that to be Germany 

Wonder if UEFA will change the rules again to prevent them from being relegated a second time 

With these stupid June games I'll throw it out there, Hungary won't finish bottom of the group so a big nation is going down to tier 2 next time round 

I know I'll change my view when the tournament starts, but it almost makes me hope he fails miserably at the World Cup. The fact that he's still the manager, and the whole farce of it being a corrupt winter WC is hardly making me look forward to it. 

Trying to support England in the Euros was a painful experience due to his piss poor management last summer. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I know I'll change my view when the tournament starts, but it almost makes me hope he fails miserably at the World Cup. The fact that he's still the manager, and the whole farce of it being a corrupt winter WC is hardly making me look forward to it. 

Trying to support England in the Euros was a painful experience due to his piss poor management last summer. 

There won't even be any Villa players in his squad this time. Makes it easier for me to ignore, plus the obvious reason of it being held in Qatar. 

• Like 2

I'm no fan of Sterling in many ways, but the last England game showed that the Bellingham/Grealish/Sterling axis was a tremendous footballing combination. Bellingham's solid play and control of the midfield, Jack's creativity and inch perfect passing and Sterling's one true excellent ability in quick darting runs in behind the defenders and arriving at the right time. Build the team around that, stop letting Sterling think he can do anything else, and we'd have a real shot at the world cup.

Other variations exist that we have seen work in fleeting glimpses here and there.

So why not go with them? Just why? We've all seen it, we all know what could be achieved with these players. It's just baffling.

Â