Gareth Southgate

Richard

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

you can argue that he's going to actively encourage players to leave for bigger clubs by hardly giving grealish a sniff whilst he played for villa and will now finally make him a first team regular and building the team around man citys jack grealish

how do you think mings feels about being dropped for man utds harry maguire in the euros? do you think that he thinks "if i played for liverpool i wouldnt have been dropped" and therefore if liverpool / utd / man city / chelsea come calling he will actively seek a move? or forget mings and insert a.n.other english villa player

he really is the same as so many english managers of the past

This has been a problem with England for as long as I can remember (going back to the late 70s). We had players like Brian Little, Gordon Cowans, Gary Shaw, I could go on. They barely got a sniff because they played for Villa. You can call me unpatriotic but I really don’t have much time for the England team as a result 😡

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

you can argue that he's going to actively encourage players to leave for bigger clubs by hardly giving grealish a sniff whilst he played for villa and will now finally make him a first team regular and building the team around man citys jack grealish

how do you think mings feels about being dropped for man utds harry maguire in the euros? do you think that he thinks "if i played for liverpool i wouldnt have been dropped" and therefore if liverpool / utd / man city / chelsea come calling he will actively seek a move? or forget mings and insert a.n.other english villa player

Sancho getting to start vs Ukraine a day after he joined United 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Strog said:

This has been a problem with England for as long as I can remember (going back to the late 70s). We had players like Brian Little, Gordon Cowans, Gary Shaw, I could go on. They barely got a sniff because they played for Villa. You can call me unpatriotic but I really don’t have much time for the England team as a result 😡

yeah exactly, we had a european cup winning team with 8 english players in it and 1 of them made the 82 euros squad and he was an unused sub (?)

you cant imagine that ever happening today

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

First thing I thought as soon as I saw the tweet from England congratulating him on the move to manc., was that there's been some encouragement from them for this move to happen.  Not saying it was the only or even the main reason but a factor to help tip the scales 😒

40 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, it's always been an issue and it still is. If you play for a "big" club you get england caps. Presumably for no other reason than playing for them.

If Grealish had played for Man utd for the last 3 years, even if he was worse than he is now, he'd have about 40 caps

• Like 2

Nah Southgreat is right to be fair, I mean what kind of experience is playing in the Premier League against the big clubs, as apposed to playing TRABONSPOR in the CL group stages? 

THAT'S **** PRESSURE, let me tell you! 

I mean, the CL final was just a Prem match ffs :crylaugh:

• Like 2

Not nearly as bad as the days of Roy Hodgson.

Gareth to his credit has given a lot of people lower down the rung and from lower backgrounds not necessary at the business end but he has.

Roy Hodgson was the dark days.
You play for Liverpool? In you come son. Tottenham? Aye you get a cap. United? You can have 10.

Martin Kelly , Caulker, Jenkinson, Chambers, Flanagan, Mason and any other number of absolute donkeys who played for a top 4.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

He has the get out card of "they play in Europe".

It's probably the worst excuse going.

The Champions League is less competitive than the Premier league.

The idea that a player needs to be on the pitch when you roll Roma 6-0 for experience over a 1-1 draw with Everton is pretty funny.

Their are about 6 competitive teams in world football outside of the Premier league at the top top level. Who cares if you're playing Chelsea, City and ManU every week but don't get to play Bayern?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strog said:

Yes Graham Taylor broke the mould by selecting players from unfashionable clubs but unfortunately he failed as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yes Graham Taylor broke the mould by selecting players from unfashionable clubs but unfortunately he failed as well. 

I think we know that the answer lies somewhere in between the two. Either way, players should not be pressured into going to fashionable clubs in order to get selected.

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

yeah exactly, we had a european cup winning team with 8 english players in it and 1 of them made the 82 euros squad and he was an unused sub (?)

you cant imagine that ever happening today

Agree in principle but he did leave a Champs League winning LB on the bench and instead chose a RB to play. So I think there's potentially more going on then just big club status. 

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm looking forward to the bafflement when Gareth shows up to a game at Villa Park and is roundly booed (at the very least) as the nation looks on in confusion.

“They still haven’t gotten over me moving to Boro” 🙄

• 4 weeks later...

Southgate's a part, should of been sacked but people ate it up as if he did the business at the euros.

Then the whole Jack thing, if he'd of given him fair opportunity and not been a dik about playing him who knows if hed of gone off to City or not. I would put a bet at next Tournament he doesn't behave like that and plays him like he's the no1 golden boy.

Also dont know the talks Grealish and Southgate had behind closed doors. I know it's easy to say so but I just feel Southgate knew if he didn't play Jack he'd be off from villa. I reckon there are all sorts of games being played to turn players away from there clubs if they are sought after by someone up the top. Wouldn't surprise me if corruption is rife and payments are made to entice these kind of situations, just because we don't hear about it doesn't mean it does or doesn't happen.

Grealish and Southgate will just become best buddy's like none of what southgate did ever existed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â