Gareth Southgate

Richard

What are your thoughts on his appointment as England manager? For me it is totally underwhelming .  It is a political appointment.  The FA have invested loads in St George's park and one of their motivators for that is to find and develop the next generation of coaches for football.  Appointing Southgate gives credence to that objective.

I think it's the right decision.  He has worked and had success with the next generation of players.  He played not so long ago so can relate to them too.  International football is totally different to club football it's about cultivating a belief amongst the players and having them all buying into the plan.   Tactically I am not sure but then he can do no worse than the last few managers.

• Like 1

Don't care, but I did find this line funny:

'Divorced, beheaded and died; sacked, disgraced, resigned. Not forgetting, of course, seduced by sheikhs, humiliated by an emerging volcano‑nation and bought and sold for a pint of wine and a keynote-speaker gig.  Like doomed Tudor wives, this seems to be the lot of England football managers now, remembered more for the frenzied drama of their departures than any tangible success on the pitch.'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/30/gareth-southgate-england-manager-man-for-the-times

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Even RDM could get out of this group. 

England 1- 1 Malta.

Malta have scored an 88th minute equaliser and now after 7 games in the group England have drawn 6 and lost 1 and conceded all goals between 85-90 minutes

no problems with it really, I think our players are crap, and so far having lot's of managerial experience has achieved bugger all, and although expectations will always be too high, why not go with someone with the most recent playing experience of the highest level of recent candidates and who is well used to the flow of occasional games from the U21 period. 

He's got as good a chance as any. We'll qualify as we always do - he's more competent than McLaren imo, and he's got a good temperament for the job. 

I don't really care that much though as international football is quite shit but still I hope he does well. Exorcising the ghosts of Germany in his first friendly will be interesting!

• Like 3

Underwhelming but not a bad move.

What I do think is bonkers though is the 4 year contract. Should have been up until the next World Cup, so if (when) we do shite and have to sack him there will be no compensation.

You would have thought the FA would have learnt by now.

• Like 1

Â