The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

We've not signed Ronaldo and Messi we've signed players from midtable Championship clubs to join a midtable Championship club. If the 10/1 shot of us getting promoted came in, saying we wouldn't need to improve this team is laughable. 

Probably sell off our current best XI to the clubs who got relegated and start again, sack off Steve Bruce too.

Before Kodjia left for Gabon we were averaging over 1.9 points per game under Bruce. That is the minimum we need from now until the end of the season and it will still be incredibly tight. The start under RDM really screwed us over.

45 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

We've not signed Ronaldo and Messi we've signed players from midtable Championship clubs to join a midtable Championship club. If the 10/1 shot of us getting promoted came in, saying we wouldn't need to improve this team is laughable. 

Probably sell off our current best XI to the clubs who got relegated and start again, sack off Steve Bruce too.

I said there would be little to do which is different from not needing to improve the team at all.

Yes Villa have signed players from mid table Championship sides but have pinched their best players which again is wholly different from what you are suggesting. Bruce has started to build a team to firstly gain promotion and then secondly to stabilise in the Premiership.

I would just love to see Xia's face after gaining promotion Bruce then telling him that he needs to finance the build of a completely new team. Not gonna happen bar a few quality additions.

We know that statistically speaking, 75 points in the Championship gets you a play off place. Only once in the last 12 years has 75 points not been enough. To that end, as we move towards February, we need to find 39 points from our remaining 19 matches to have any chance at all. 

Winning 13 from 19 would do it, it seems unlikely, but we have the bottom 6 still to play! Our remaining fixtures would appear, on the face of it, to give us every opportunity to obtain these points, and making the play offs is still very much in our own hands.

Obviously though, this is a huge ask. Those 2 points thrown away against Preston last week could be catastrophic come the end of the season. I know we have dropped a lot of points this season, but can’t recall letting too many 2 goal second half leads slip?

Anyway, remaining positive, where are the points going to come from?  We will have to continue our unbeaten home form in my opinion, and our away form has to improve remarkably. Of our remaining 10 home games we must be looking at 6 wins minimum.

Away from home the fixture list gives us every chance of securing the points that we will need, assuming we can secure the points at home. 9 away games include trips to 5 of the current bottom 6. We have to win all 5 of those games. Simply have to!

Tomorrow night at Brentford is very winnable now. They’ve gradually slipped down the table and the speculation surrounding Hogan hasn’t helped them at all. We absolutely must then follow that up with a win at Forest on Saturday. On balance, 4pts from these 2 away games is a minimum.

Assuming we pick up maximum points in the next 2 home games against Ipswich and Barnsley, we can go to St James’s Park with a free shot at Newcastle.  Irrespective of that result though, we have to be looking at minimum 4pts again from the following 2 games at home against Derby and Bristol City.

3 matches in 7 days in early March must see us pick up 5/6 pts. Rotherham away is e a must win, and Huddersfield away followed by Sheff Wed at home won’t be easy. 2 draws would be ok, winning one of them would be better!

Wigan, Burton and Blackburn away from home have to be must wins, 9 pts.

Two games at home start of April against Norwich and QPR must again return 4pts minimum.

Our final 3 home games are Reading, Blues and Brighton, and a lot will depend on the situation Reading and Brighton find themselves in. Brighton could well be up by the last game, and if we need a win to make the play offs then I would fancy us to get it. I can see us picking up 7pts from these last 3 games at Villa Park.

This forecast would see us finish on 76 points. 11 wins and 7 draws from our remaining games. As unlikely as that appears, the fixture list is definitely giving us a chance. If the new players hit the ground running, and we can get some momentum behind us then it really isn’t impossible yet.

This is where I have stacked the points, my only forecasted loss is away at Newcastle. There are a lot of games where I have conservatively gone for a draw but we are more than capable of winning!

31-Jan Brentford Away DRAW
04-Feb Forest Away WIN
11-Feb Ipswich Home WIN
14-Feb Barnsley Home WIN
20-Feb Newcastle Away LOSS
25-Feb Derby Home DRAW
28-Feb Bristol City Home WIN
04-Mar Rotherham Away WIN
07-Mar Huddersfield Away DRAW
11-Mar Sheff Wed Home DRAW
18-Mar Wigan Away WIN
01-Apr Norwich Home DRAW
04-Apr QPR Home WIN
08-Apr Burton Away WIN
15-Apr Reading Home DRAW
17-Apr Fulham Away DRAW
23-Apr Blues Home WIN
29-Apr Blackburn Away WIN
07-May Brighton Home WIN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ViewFromT2 said:

We know that statistically speaking, 75 points in the Championship gets you a play off place. Only once in the last 12 years has 75 points not been enough. To that end, as we move towards February, we need to find 39 points from our remaining 19 matches to have any chance at all. 

Winning 13 from 19 would do it, it seems unlikely, but we have the bottom 6 still to play! Our remaining fixtures would appear, on the face of it, to give us every opportunity to obtain these points, and making the play offs is still very much in our own hands.

Obviously though, this is a huge ask. Those 2 points thrown away against Preston last week could be catastrophic come the end of the season. I know we have dropped a lot of points this season, but can’t recall letting too many 2 goal second half leads slip?

Anyway, remaining positive, where are the points going to come from?  We will have to continue our unbeaten home form in my opinion, and our away form has to improve remarkably. Of our remaining 10 home games we must be looking at 6 wins minimum.

Away from home the fixture list gives us every chance of securing the points that we will need, assuming we can secure the points at home. 9 away games include trips to 5 of the current bottom 6. We have to win all 5 of those games. Simply have to!

Tomorrow night at Brentford is very winnable now. They’ve gradually slipped down the table and the speculation surrounding Hogan hasn’t helped them at all. We absolutely must then follow that up with a win at Forest on Saturday. On balance, 4pts from these 2 away games is a minimum.

Assuming we pick up maximum points in the next 2 home games against Ipswich and Barnsley, we can go to St James’s Park with a free shot at Newcastle.  Irrespective of that result though, we have to be looking at minimum 4pts again from the following 2 games at home against Derby and Bristol City.

3 matches in 7 days in early March must see us pick up 5/6 pts. Rotherham away is e a must win, and Huddersfield away followed by Sheff Wed at home won’t be easy. 2 draws would be ok, winning one of them would be better!

Wigan, Burton and Blackburn away from home have to be must wins, 9 pts.

Two games at home start of April against Norwich and QPR must again return 4pts minimum.

Our final 3 home games are Reading, Blues and Brighton, and a lot will depend on the situation Reading and Brighton find themselves in. Brighton could well be up by the last game, and if we need a win to make the play offs then I would fancy us to get it. I can see us picking up 7pts from these last 3 games at Villa Park.

This forecast would see us finish on 76 points. 11 wins and 7 draws from our remaining games. As unlikely as that appears, the fixture list is definitely giving us a chance. If the new players hit the ground running, and we can get some momentum behind us then it really isn’t impossible yet.

This is where I have stacked the points, my only forecasted loss is away at Newcastle. There are a lot of games where I have conservatively gone for a draw but we are more than capable of winning!

04-Feb Forest Away WIN
11-Feb Ipswich Home WIN
14-Feb Barnsley Home WIN
25-Feb Derby Home DRAW
18-Mar Wigan Away WIN
01-Apr Norwich Home DRAW
04-Apr QPR Home WIN
08-Apr Burton Away WIN
15-Apr Reading Home DRAW
17-Apr Fulham Away DRAW
23-Apr Blues Home WIN
07-May Brighton Home WIN

I love a good well thought out post

They tend to be long too

Keep it up

N.B. To those who ridicule

tsk tsk tsk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

04-Feb Forest Away WIN
11-Feb Ipswich Home WIN
14-Feb Barnsley Home WIN
25-Feb Derby Home DRAW
18-Mar Wigan Away WIN
01-Apr Norwich Home DRAW
04-Apr QPR Home WIN
08-Apr Burton Away WIN
15-Apr Reading Home DRAW
17-Apr Fulham Away DRAW
23-Apr Blues Home WIN
07-May Brighton

I make 45pts w/o Brighton result

• Like 1

24 points behind Brighton, 19 behind Reading, 10 behind Derby - this was the Derby side who were even shitter than us when we sacked Di Matteo by the way, shows how shit how manager's been. Only 11 above the relegation zone. Forest won today and we go to them on Saturday. We'll get humped there too

3 points off 19th. Let's just make sure we don't drop like a stone or do anything stupid, and give Bruce ten games with his own players to prove he's up to the job. No improvement in those games, jack him in and give someone the last few games to find their feet. Let's just make sure we're ready for next season and stop talking about the cowing playoffs.