Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

"He [Jonathan Kodjia] can drive us all mad at times, there's no question about that. But when you look at his goals - that's his 12th in what, 24 games, that's not bad at all so fair play to him." - Steve Bruce

BBC Link

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KJT123 said:

I'm pretty sure @DCJonah is being sarcastic. Kodjia is absolutely integral to us, he showed that again tonight. 

Haha, the thing is though that these days it's hard to tell when people are being sarcastic and just generally sticking the boot in. 

@DCJonah is a poster I respect but of late I can't tell what's real and what's not in terms of praise in player threads! (Not specifically relating to Jonah I must stress, just relating to when a post is sincere or not). 

Kodja's scoring record is fine for us, if he released the ball quicker and more often he would actually have a much bigger goal tally in my view. 

As I've previously said, he's not in the next level of strikers for this reason alone. He's quicker, as strong and more creative in terms of chances for himself than say, Troy Deeney, but Deeney knows how to hold the ball up to more effect and when to play in others instead of keeping your head down and not being aware of others around. 

I don't know whether we can recreate break scenarios in training time after time until his instincts turn to playing in others or if that sort of thing is just ingrained. As frustrating as he is, he does work hard and does find the net, even if it's not as much as he realistically could.

I think we need to get over the very large fee, I understand why we did it. Just judge him on what he brings to the team. Forever saying he's not worth this or that doesn't do anybody any favours other than an excuse to have a pop. 

His major flaw is infuriating but he also has much to offer and I don't expect defenders look forward to playing against him. 

• Like 1

Felt sorry for him last night in the first half as he was struggling to control the long goal kicks again and again due to being man-handled by the Bristol defence. It's also not really his game, he's not a target man and he's better receiving the ball to feet from the midfield.

Did brilliantly to get over the penalty miss and was great in the second half. He's making conscious decisions to pass the ball now and it's bringing other players into the game as we saw for Hourihane's goal.

Might be best to take him off penalty duty now though, I think Hogan, Hourihane, Lansbury and Jedinak have all been penalty takers at some point in time for their past teams. Or we could do the just let Alan Hutton take them until the end of the season to take the roof off Villa Park :ph34r:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The commentators were wrong. He held the ball up well, found his teammates with the pass plenty of times. Had the shit kicked out of him too and WHAT a header. 

Best he has played in a long while. 

I didn't watch the game, so can't comment too much here (cracking header, though!) but he had less passes than everyone other than Gardner (17) and had a less than 60% pass completion rate.

I don't understand why people get so offended about him being selfish, though.  He's infuriating at times - fans, commentators and apparently now his own manager say it.  Doesn't make him a bad striker.

3 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

wasnt Hourihane penalty taker at his last club?

Sam Winnall was Barnsley's penalty taker.  They never got a penalty after January 13th, the day he signed for Sheffield Wednesday.

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Felt sorry for him last night in the first half as he was struggling to control the long goal kicks again and again due to being man-handled by the Bristol defence. It's also not really his game, he's not a target man and he's better receiving the ball to feet from the midfield.

Did brilliantly to get over the penalty miss and was great in the second half. He's making conscious decisions to pass the ball now and it's bringing other players into the game as we saw for Hourihane's goal.

Might be best to take him off penalty duty now though, I think Hogan, Hourihane, Lansbury and Jedinak have all been penalty takers at some point in time for their past teams. Or we could do the just let Alan Hutton take them until the end of the season to take the roof off Villa Park :ph34r:

Absolutely spot on. The fact that he tweeted about his pass for Hourihane makes me think that he is starting to realise it is a fault and one he accepts. As for AH on Pens I sit behind goal half way up Lower Holte - shall I take a hard hat just in case

Did poorly for the penalty, but he was desperate to score against his old club and I think the pressure got to him. Great that he didn't let it get him down, and great that he scored. Hopefully this is the beginning of better things from him.

Â