Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

56 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Didn't realize Jedi was prolific from the spot , I think Lansbury takes pens too - I'd take kodija off them now as he's missed a couple .

He's even scored one in a World Cup. How he's not our pen taker is beyond me.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He's even scored one in a World Cup. How he's not our pen taker is beyond me.

Could be loads of reasons I suppose, perhaps something as simple as he doesn't fancy it. Even Zlatan missed one yesterday, it happens. 

I do read the neggies with this lad, and do take them on board.... but,

When you have player that can score with his regularity, and he can, it is a massive contributor to team confidence.

the other pozi is that he is a player that can score with minimal service......that is a big plus.....I am not trying to overrate him, but the stikers who can do this are usually amongst the best around.

He has really good feet for a big man.

I think we have even more to see from him when the 11 gel in to a team.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I do read the neggies with this lad, and do take them on board.... but,

When you have player that can score with his regularity, and he can, it is a massive contributor to team confidence.

the other pozi is that he is a player that can score with minimal service......that is a big plus.....I am not trying to overrate him, but the stikers who can do this are usually amongst the best around.

He has really good feet for a big man.

I think we have even more to see from him when the 11 gel in to a team.

Please retire, Pozi, he needs to be a distant Football Italia player only James Richardson remembers. 

16 hours ago, Eastie said:

Didn't realize Jedi was prolific from the spot , I think Lansbury takes pens too - I'd take kodija off them now as he's missed a couple .

To be honest i thought he scored more than 12. He was Crystal Palace and Australias first choice pen taker. He had like 7 in the Premier League one season.. most were pens i remember.

On to JK. I think the frustration with him is that he should have 12 goals and 5 assists. He is a great player on his day.. but he tends to take the wrong options.. I dont care if he scores 20 goals a season.. if he has to take 5 chances to get it where we could have had other players score a few more when he does miss.

So i can see both sides to the story. Personally.. i love the bloke.. but when RMAC had two sitters and he got ignored.. then Hogan the same.. you can understand peoples frustration with him. If he looks for the pass sometimes.. he would an amazing player. 

30 minutes ago, KSV said:

To be honest i thought he scored more than 12. He was Crystal Palace and Australias first choice pen taker. He had like 7 in the Premier League one season.. most were pens i remember.

On to JK. I think the frustration with him is that he should have 12 goals and 5 assists. He is a great player on his day.. but he tends to take the wrong options.. I dont care if he scores 20 goals a season.. if he has to take 5 chances to get it where we could have had other players score a few more when he does miss.

So i can see both sides to the story. Personally.. i love the bloke.. but when RMAC had two sitters and he got ignored.. then Hogan the same.. you can understand peoples frustration with him. If he looks for the pass sometimes.. he would an amazing player. 

I thought he had scored more two, but it was the first website I found with penalty stats. You and I both know he is gun from the spot.

I am warming to JK, still would like to see the odd assist. From the snippets of highlights I get to see, I have noticed him trying to odd flick on with his head which is pleasing to see. 

9 hours ago, KSV said:

Only one player in the league has 12 goals and 5 assists. 

Kodjia is 27 and the highest level he's played at is the championship. 

I think we should appreciate what he does instead of focus on his flaws, because 1) it's good and 2) no other player in the squad can do it. 

From watching the past few games and some highlights it definitely seems like he's working on his overall game and is trying to bring other people into the game. Keep up the good work Kodj.

Should have had an assist for Hourihane yesterday. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

From watching the past few games and some highlights it definitely seems like he's working on his overall game and is trying to bring other people into the game. Keep up the good work Kodj.

Should have had an assist for Hourihane yesterday. 

He should do - still disappointed me on a couple of occasions yesterday (from highlights only);

- Just before Lansbury hits the bar, Kodjia should be passing to Adomah who is just inside him and completely free.  Kodjia is having his shirt tugged all over the place, so maybe that was the problem, but not once did he get his head up looking for a pass as he ran into the box.  The ball only broke to Lansbury from a tackle.

- Second half, does his usual.  The ball is fed to him on the left-hand side of their box, he brings the ball back a bit then dribbles inside to hit a shot from 30 yards.  Sometimes they go in and it looks amazing - very, very rarely does this happen.  Just look for a pass.

He's great because he scores goals, but he's so frustrating.

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

He should do - still disappointed me on a couple of occasions yesterday (from highlights only);

- Just before Lansbury hits the bar, Kodjia should be passing to Adomah who is just inside him and completely free.  Kodjia is having his shirt tugged all over the place, so maybe that was the problem, but not once did he get his head up looking for a pass as he ran into the box.  The ball only broke to Lansbury from a tackle.

- Second half, does his usual.  The ball is fed to him on the left-hand side of their box, he brings the ball back a bit then dribbles inside to hit a shot from 30 yards.  Sometimes they go in and it looks amazing - very, very rarely does this happen.  Just look for a pass.

He's great because he scores goals, but he's so frustrating.

To be fair if his decision making was always the right choice he wouldn't be playing for us. 

Just now, PieFacE said:

To be fair if his decision making was always the right choice he wouldn't be playing for us. 

Agreed.  I don't have a problem with him not being perfect decision-wise and I quite like him being completely greedy to some extent as that's how strikers score.

However, I also believe that a lot of our lack of goals this season stem from Kodjia not picking out passes.  There's just no way that our attack, even without cohesion, is only as good as Burton Albion's.

• Like 3

liability defensively from corners - played a key role in the joke goal we conceded vs. Barnsley and again yesterday

silly tactic to bring everyone back from corners anyway, particularly when this is amplified by the people we bring back being more of a hindrance than a help

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Agreed. But then the flip side of that is for £10m plus the guy should be able/willing to pass a football. 

People will talk about his goals and thats great, its what strikers are paid to do. But Chris Wood has scored 20 goals, Dwight Gale, Tammy Abraham Scott Hogan and Glen Murray have all scored more than him and probably all contribute more in other areas aswell. Kodjia has scored 13 (i take on board he missed a month) and apart from those goals offers very little else. So for me he has to do a lot more to come anywhere close to justifying his price tag and his long term place in team that aspires to go to the big league. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Agreed. But then the flip side of that is for £10m plus the guy should be able/willing to pass a football. 

People will talk about his goals and thats great, its what strikers are paid to do. But Chris Wood has scored 20 goals, Dwight Gale, Tammy Abraham Scott Hogan and Glen Murray have all scored more than him and probably all contribute more in other areas aswell. Kodjia has scored 13 (i take on board he missed a month) and apart from those goals offers very little else. So for me he has to do a lot more to come anywhere close to justifying his price tag and his long term place in team that aspires to go to the big league. 

But his price tag was massively inflated because it was us who were signing him and we'd missed out on Hernandez. 

It's not his fault we paid what we did for him. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

However, I also believe that a lot of our lack of goals this season stem from Kodjia not picking out passes.  There's just no way that our attack, even without cohesion, is only as good as Burton Albion's.

Couldn't agree more. 

Thats why I don't agree with this 'without his goals we would be in trouble' line. 

If we hadn't signed Kodjia someone else would obviously be in his place, lets say RHM for arguments sake. The goals he scored, plus those he helped create combined, may (and i know this just conjecture) at least equal the 13 kodjia has scored. 

I'd understand the argument if he had banged in 20 plus like Chris Wood (who wasn't even good enough for the Albion btw), but its 13 goals. Which imo doesn't outway the cons. 

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But his price tag was massively inflated because it was us who were signing him and we'd missed out on Hernandez. 

It's not his fault we paid what we did for him. 

As you can probably tell mate I'm not a massive fan, so i agree the fee was inflated. 

Can i ask then mate, how much do you think he is worth? The reason i ask is because (and this bit isn't aimed at you pal) I know people that think Kodjia is the bees knees, but also say that his true valve is probably £6/7m. 

Which these days is the about the price for you pay for a pretty average striker, which imo is exactly what he is. 

Edited by av1

Â