Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Constructive criticism is not animosity.

Even Benteke got stick when it was warranted.

Most, if not all of what has been said is true, I give him praises for what he does well, when he does it.

The criticism I've read is largely fair. What we have to assess is whether his moments of individual brilliance are worth the price we have to pay by playing him, which is theoretically a far less fluid and more disjointed side going forward, since attacks so frequently breakdown when the ball reaches him. 

Fulham sacrificed McCormack, a guy who got 20+ goals in the league last season, for forwards who are far less prolific, but they are doing much, much better overall as a team without last season's top scorer. 

I honestly believe we should consider doing something similar this summer. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Constructive criticism is not animosity.

Even Benteke got stick when it was warranted.

Most, if not all of what has been said is true, I give him praises for what he does well, when he does it.

My comment was aimed at the people who are saying we are a better team without him and that they want him sold in the summer.  That is animosity not constructive criticism.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

In your opinion

Well there's absolutely nothing to back up the idea that we'd be better off without him or would have scored more goals. 

So yes, in my opinion, it's a ridiculous thing to suggest. 

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

It's just a matter of fact, isn't it? Nothing to do with opinion.

Either we do perform better with Kodjia or we don't.

I would agree that we perform marginally better with kodjia but I don't like the future outlook and seeing as this season is effectively over I'm not sure he should or will be our number 1 striker next season. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Well there's absolutely nothing to back up the idea that we'd be better off without him or would have scored more goals. 

So yes, in my opinion, it's a ridiculous thing to suggest. 

I don't agree that we'd be better off without him this season. That is ridiculous as you say.

However, I think there's a valid argument to be made that we may be better off without him in the future, but it would require the rest of the team to be playing well and creating things for other players.

Right now, as frustrating as he is, we need him because most of the time we only score via one player doing something individually brilliant. And he's our most likely player to do that

• Like 3

On 2/25/2017 at 18:34, markavfc40 said:

He isn't a central striker for me. He doesn't hold the ball up well enough, wins nothing in the air and he doesn't have the awareness to play others in around him. He is a much better player coming in from the left where he has had most of his best games for us.

think the newcastle game showed there is a difference in coming in from the left and playing left wing, agree with the first but he and us as a team looked awful with him properly out wide

• Like 1

If Kodjia and his 11 goals were not on the board this season, Villa would be in the relegation zone.  He has scored a third of our total output, and he has missed out on month worth of matches this season.  He is a decent goal scorer at this level if played properly. He is not the perfect striker- if he was he would be playing top flight.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

If Kodjia and his 11 goals were not on the board this season, Villa would be in the relegation zone.  He has scored a third of our total output, and he has missed out on month worth of matches this season.  He is a decent goal scorer at this level if played properly. He is not the perfect striker- if he was he would be playing top flight.

More indicative of how shite we are more than anything.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Or that he is averaging nearly 1 in 2 in a shite team? No?

Exactly. For how frustrating he is, we're not a very good 'team' and yet his goal return has been good. 

He's a poor man's Benteke for me. Doesn't require tonnes of service to get his goals, can get them on his own. Frustrating player (more frustrating than CB due to being a poorer player) and has his games where he offers nothing. But ultimately you have him in the side.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't agree that we'd be better off without him this season. That is ridiculous as you say.

However, I think there's a valid argument to be made that we may be better off without him in the future, but it would require the rest of the team to be playing well and creating things for other players.

Right now, as frustrating as he is, we need him because most of the time we only score via one player doing something individually brilliant. And he's our most likely player to do that

Well that's a big if, regarding players playing well and creating. 

At the moment, Hogan looks far to in need of basic service and Green is very inconsistent on the left. 

Without buying new players I can't see a lineup that looks better with Kodjia out of it. 

Â