Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I just wish we'd consistently play him as a striker. Moving him around and asking him to defend can't be the best thing for him. 

This for me.

He was poor last night, but he isn't a left winger. We bought him in to be our striker, and so far he is our top goal scorer.

Yes he was poor against Wigan when playing up front but every striker has an off game, especially at this level. He need's to be able to think right I was poor there next game i'll be up front again and i'll turn in a better performance.

If he's not getting the service he need's to be able to say look lad's I need you to start playing the ball into this channel here, play it to feet here, swing balls in early for me... but he can't because the next game he's being moved out wide to accomodate Gestede, Ayew, Gabby...

As much as I like what Bruce has done since he's come in we've once again turned back to playing players out of position and it's just not working. Yes we have no left winger in our squad, but we have enough players capable of filling in there without moving our best striker there.

Rant over...

• Like 2

Some on here suggest his best performances for us have come when he has played wide left. I just don't see it. He's really not very good at all in that position, he isn't a winger, he lacks the awareness and execution of pass to play a deeper role, he holds onto the ball too long and thus succeeds in breaking down our own attacks. 

We presumably paid £15m for a striker capable of scoring 20+ league goals, not £15m for a sup-par winger. Given virtually all of his goals for us have come inside the box I'd like to see him given a consistent run as a central forward. The bigger issue for me is the lack of supply, we need someone in central midfield who can play a through ball. 

• Like 1

I don't think we've ever had a striker I hate watching play more than this fella, always slowing the play down and passing back while constantly getting caught offside and not to mention making stupid foul after foul. What get's to me the most is he is unbelievably lazy then when he gets the ball to his feet he tries to take on 3 people.

YOU AINT NO BERBATOV, I HATE WATCHING THIS MAN PLAY

DROP HIM

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Strangeways said:

I don't think we've ever had a striker I hate watching play more than this fella, always slowing the play down and passing back while constantly getting caught offside and not to mention making stupid foul after foul. What get's to me the most is he is unbelievably lazy then when he gets the ball to his feet he tries to take on 3 people.

DROP HIM

:unsure::unsure:

2 hours ago, Strangeways said:

DROP HIM

And play who ?

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

File next to Ayew in the shit footballing education department.

What amazes me is how brilliant and shite he can be at the same time.

For instance, yesterday when he tried that acrobatic shot pointlessly, he could have just controlled, and shot or passed.

Couple times he made head way, beat a couple players, did too much then lost it. (Shit that does sound like Ayew)

That being said Grealish was doing the same, something must have been in the water yesterday.

5 hours ago, Strangeways said:

DROP HIM

Strange ways indeed.

How did this topic devolve into the Westwood one?

Needs to be up top. He struggled to impact matches last season at left wing and reportedly did not enjoy playing there. Don't understand how Gabby with 1 goal in the last 2 seasons can be given the striker spot and Kodjia be forced to accommodate. 

49 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Questionable attitude, but undoubted talent.I can see why he hasn't been chased by a Prem club, but he is our best CF, and we should play him down the middle, with McCormack off him.

I would NEVER play Kodjia and Ayew in the same team.

Bang on the money !

Has to play up top for one reason and one reason only... he is ridiculously selfish.

Case in point - the ball that Ayew (I think) lofted to the back post the other night against Norwich, he has to nod that square to the two players waiting unmarked in the box, but no, he tries the 1 in 50 spectacular mid-air kick which spoons a million miles over.

He's good, but someone who thinks so one-dimensionally can only play as a front man.

• Like 1

I prefer him up top, and in the squad at the moment I think he has to play there.

One of our issues with balance is that he prefers to come in off the left hand side of the pitch as a striker, like Thierry Henry used to, unfortunately, so does Grealish. And Ayew. And Agbonlahor. 

For the good of the team, I think Bruce needs to be telling him to stay central in so much as is possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I prefer him up top, and in the squad at the moment I think he has to play there.

One of our issues with balance is that he prefers to come in off the left hand side of the pitch as a striker, like Thierry Henry used to, unfortunately, so does Grealish. And Ayew. And Agbonlahor. 

For the good of the team, I think Bruce needs to be telling him to stay central in so much as is possible.

When you play a centre forward role you have to work your opponent like Costa does, Shearer did, Andy Gray did.

despite his undoubted talent, I don't see the robustness in the player......Gestede possibly has it but unfortunately not the ability to capitalise....Gabby hasn't got it either.

so it's a bit of buggers muddle.

we have too many players with mixed attributes and it doesn't form a blend of a balanced team.

i just happen to think we have bought players over the years who have certain individual talents, but not sufficient to blend in to a balanced team.

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If this 'drifting in' from the left comes naturally for Kodjia, I wouldn't force him to change his approach, because I honestly don't think he's all that versatile. I'd instead play either McCormack or Gestede in the middle, with Grealish right behind, and Tish & Jedi behind him. Then obviously Adomah on the other flank.

Â