Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why?

He's better playing from wide. Even when he's playing central, it's when he drifts wide that he causes the most damage.

It seems every time we play well in the second half it's down to Kodija being moved into the middle. He does drift out wide like you mention, but I think that works as he drifts away from the CB's. Also he seems to be the only striker we have that seems capable of bringing the ball down from a defensive clearance onto his chest, which is invaluable. 

Actually, I think he started centrally against QPR and then moved out wide in the second half? 

It seems to be his best position to me. Not so much as a winger, but as a wide forward. In practice, we should just let him play a free role for now but AS a forward. Giving him defensive responsibility as a winger is barmy. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why?

He's better playing from wide. Even when he's playing central, it's when he drifts wide that he causes the most damage.

But that's why you play him as the central main striker, then he has the freedom to drift to different areas. 

Playing him as a wide player restricts this movement and also puts defensive duties on him. 

Look at his goal against QPR. In previous games he'd have been stuck more on the left and not taken up that position to cause the defenders problems and get the goal. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Not so much as a winger, but as a wide forward. In practice, we should just let him play a free role for now but AS a forward. Giving him defensive responsibility as a winger is barmy. 

I agree. I think asking him to track back is taking something away from his game even when we are attacking because he will have it in his mind that he needs to help out defensively so will naturally have a deep starting position.

Our two biggest failings this season have been in leaving ourselves short in midfield and in not getting the best out of our attacking talent. Now of course those two are directly linked but we certainly haven’t helped ourselves by playing our forwards out of position or giving them defensive responsibilities that take way from their attacking game.

Despite him being out of sorts and having played poorly on Sunday I would still like to see McCormack played centrally with Kodjia. The potential is there for these two to form an excellent partnership. McCormack desperately needs a goal and has shown that once he does he can go on a run.

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Not so much as a winger, but as a wide forward. In practice, we should just let him play a free role for now but AS a forward. Giving him defensive responsibility as a winger is barmy. 

I agree. I think asking him to track back is taking something away from his game even when we are attacking because he will have it in his mind that he needs to help out defensively so will naturally have a deeper starting position.

Our two biggest failings this season have been in leaving ourselves short in midfield and in not getting the best out of our attacking talent. Now of course those two are directly linked but we certainly haven’t helped ourselves by playing our forwards out of position or giving them defensive responsibilities that take way from their attacking game.

Despite him being out of sorts and having played poorly on Sunday I would still like to see McCormack played centrally with Kodjia. The potential is there for these two to form an excellent partnership. McCormack desperately needs a goal and has shown that once he does he can go on a run.

20 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Actually, I think he started centrally against QPR and then moved out wide in the second half? 

It seems to be his best position to me. Not so much as a winger, but as a wide forward. In practice, we should just let him play a free role for now but AS a forward. Giving him defensive responsibility as a winger is barmy. 

From my view in the stands it seemed as Ross was playing as the central striker in a 4-3-3....but although I agree that he shouldn't have any defensive responsibilities, i'm not sure how I feel about the prospect of a system that doesn't cover/support Hutton & Amavi defensively with the wingers.

23 hours ago, DCJonah said:

But that's why you play him as the central main striker, then he has the freedom to drift to different areas. 

Playing him as a wide player restricts this movement and also puts defensive duties on him. 

Look at his goal against QPR. In previous games he'd have been stuck more on the left and not taken up that position to cause the defenders problems and get the goal. 

Wouldn't you have massive, gaping hole in the centre of the attack then?  Further, what would happen to your actual wide players in this scenario?

On 12/20/2016 at 03:30, VILLAMARV said:

Villa career goals to date for the current squad.

85 - Agbonlahor
10 - Gestede
  9 - Ayew
  8 - Kodjia
  7 - Bacuna
  5 - Westwood
  4 - Kozak, Grealish
  2 - McCormack, Richards
  1 - Hutton, Gardner, Baker, Tishbola, Adomah

(Just coz I'm bored and @BOF's done all the hard work anyway)

The main surprise for me there is Ayew only having scored 9 goals for us! So poor!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Wouldn't you have massive, gaping hole in the centre of the attack then?  Further, what would happen to your actual wide players in this scenario?

Well if you have McCormack or grealish behind him there's space for them. He doesn't just stay wide all game, having that bit of freedom shouldn't effect our wide players. It didn't in the last game when kodjia was causing problems most of the game. 

On 20/12/2016 at 13:01, markavfc40 said:

I agree. I think asking him to track back is taking something away from his game even when we are attacking because he will have it in his mind that he needs to help out defensively so will naturally have a deeper starting position.

You can say that again. 

Â