Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Kodjia saw the ball either in the air, or to his feet when he was being harried by a defender and had his back to goal.

I don't think he's very good in either situation.

He's good at getting behind or turning and taking on defenders, or at least occupying them to bring others into the game.

I don't think Rudy is very good. But in a game like the Wigan one where you have an isolated lone striker getting the ball in the air or constantly being harried by defenders when they do get it to feet, I think he'd have done better in that role.

I need to keep reiterating that this in no way means I think Rudy is a better player. Far from it. I just think he's better in the air and better at holding the ball up in those situations.

FWIW I know what you mean and I agree....I think we can all see the draw backs of Rudy, but he does give you that bit of muscle upfront that the better technical players can play off.....particularly as you say, with his back to goal.

The problem as i see it ....if we had a Vardy/Gayle/Dean Saunders....light and quick that can turn defenders inside out, we haven't got the midfield capability to feed them.

We have to go with what we have got for now.

We have had a great start under SB as far as results go.....but the balance is still some way off.

he/they will fix it.

Edited by TRO

15 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Thought it was pretty even attempt wise tbh. kodjia had the best couple of chances but they hit a volley that just missed like amavi and another shot that just went wide and another over.

Disagree with this bit.

They had no meaningful attempts. The volley would have been goal of the season if it went in. In reality it was well over and I think Gollini had it covered anyway.

The other shot they fired over was their best chance but even that was very high.

That was it.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2016 at 19:58, Farlz said:

No more putting him out wide to accommodate someone else. 

Even worse this time around, it was to accommodate Agbonlahor ffs. Not a wide player at all and should never be put there. 

Not his fault he is playing wide left but at least he could try to help out and bring Amavi into the game, three times tonight Amavi was clear and he insisted on trying to beat his man again, lost it and put them both out of position. 

1 minute ago, Derryvillan said:

Ayew's gotta win it single handed routine seems to have rubbed off on him.It was like they were having a competition tonight.

Watch him closely and he beats a man and then goes back to do it again far far too often. 

• Like 1

Another in the line of frustrating and infuriating players we've had  at villa in recent seasons.

Sick and tired of his lathargic style of play, too busy trying to roll the ball with his studs repeatedly like I did when I was 10, to notice anyone else in space or making a run. The only difference is I was in my garden trying to take on my dog so it didn't **** matter!

Get your head out of your arse.

Took a bit if stick for jumping on apparently slightly ott praise when people were calling him an 'unbelievable talent'.

Like his manager, his bounce has gone and his limits are becoming very clear.

Awful. Flash in the pan, head down, rubbish.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Took a bit if stick for jumping on apparently slightly ott praise when people were calling him an 'unbelievable talent'.

Like his manager, his bounce has gone and his limits are becoming very clear.

Awful. Flash in the pan, head down, rubbish.

I have criticised him as well when he hasn't done well, like tonight.

HOWEVER

He has had more great performances, scored more goals and won us games than he has let us down.

So your probing for an "I told you so" moment is still nonsense in this case.

Not even playing on peoples vulnerable emotions at this time justifies it. lol

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just wish we'd consistently play him as a striker. Moving him around and asking him to defend can't be the best thing for him. 

I get Bruce may not know his best midfield, but he should know his best attack by now. But every game he drops someone, Kodjia is about the only player you know will definitely play every game, how can the players build any understanding when they never know if or where they will play or who they are meant to be passing to?

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

Â