Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

When he actually passes the ball he's actually pretty good.

But too many times he chooses to dribble into no man's land and loses the ball. If he could transform himself to be an actual team player he could be class.

• Like 1

Gets far, far more stick than he warrants given what he's actually done for us when he's not been sidelined. Especially given that some of the criticism is just weird. His decision making is a bit suspect at times but if he had that covered, coupled with his ability he would've been far too good for us to have ever signed in the Championship, so you have to take the rough with the smooth. As it stands I think he'll be capable back up in the PL because it's not a question of talent like it is with the likes of Hogan, though I'd still like us to get another striker in to go alongside Kodj and Wes (Hogan sold and Davis to get a decent loan move ideally).

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, AV82 said:

My issue with him is off the ball. Move your lazy ass.

Yup. And decision making. He tends to spend way too long on the ball. He has the talent and skill to get into really good positions, but then be just dwells on it and **** all happens. 

He is a bit of a loose cannon, but that can be useful as well as frustrating. I do like him but he does drive me crazy at times. He could be so good, but as other posters have said, he might then have been playing at a higher level than us.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2019 at 19:35, TRO said:

haha,so right.....we are 1-1 and 15 minutes to go......and you have that bit of magic to come on,( in a team now that can use the ball) it gives everyone hope.......and them 3 magical points are not quite so far away.

I am not bigging Kodj up but like Lansbury maybe better in a passing team....it was difficult to get much out him in a predominately stop/start team.

Yeah me thinks kodj will pass the ball more this year. He has played for crap sides most of his career including us. Him playing in a better side should let him release the ball earlier. Every where else he has played. If he passed his team lost the ball. So he may as well have tried to create for himself

On 02/08/2019 at 17:29, MaVilla said:

why.

does he wear.

a BANDAGE.

on his hand.

ALL THE TIME!

does he think its cool?

Does he think its a fashion statement?

Does he not think he might look like a tool?

We should sack any player who wears a Michael Jackson bandage glove thing for.......any other reason than medical.

its something a 10 year old might do cus it looks "dope", something they grow out of at 14 when their mates start laughing at them.

(redacted if its something medical, sustained if its as above)........

He broke his hand I think. He chooses to keep wearing it either because it is a lucky charm or 2 because he thinks it will help prevent a sprain/twist or break in the future. 

12 hours ago, Indigo said:

Gets far, far more stick than he warrants given what he's actually done for us when he's not been sidelined. Especially given that some of the criticism is just weird. 

Weird in what way? When he doesn't try I'll criticise him.

The last time be played really well was Blues at home. That's a good while ago now. He was OK in the scarce minutes towards the end of the season but had played himself out of the team already.

Ability wise, he definitely should have been in ahead of Adomah, and could have displaced Tammy when he went off the boil. He even fell behind Andre Green! Green who was struggling in everything he did but at least ran around a bit when he didn't have the ball.

Kodj picked and chose his moments to put real effort in/hold his concentration/do what was being asked and Smith lost faith in him. I wonder if he now thinks he can't play any of the roles he needs in his defined system.

He's a magician who pulls rabbits out of hats when you're expecting something routine. Outside of that, he can flatter to deceive.

He is good enough for Premier League football though.

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Weird in what way? When he doesn't try I'll criticise him.

The last time be played really well was Blues at home. That's a good while ago now. He was OK in the scarce minutes towards the end of the season but had played himself out of the team already.

Ability wise, he definitely should have been in ahead of Adomah, and could have displaced Tammy when he went off the boil. He even fell behind Andre Green! Green who was struggling in everything he did but at least ran around a bit when he didn't have the ball.

Kodj picked and chose his moments to put real effort in/hold his concentration/do what was being asked and Smith lost faith in him. I wonder if he now thinks he can't play any of the roles he needs in his defined system.

He's a magician who pulls rabbits out of hats when you're expecting something routine. Outside of that, he can flatter to deceive.

He is good enough for Premier League football though.

That's fair, with the "weird" comment I was more so referring to how aesthetic things like his hair/wrist strapping has been used as a means of criticising his mentality when in reality they don't actually mean anything and just seem to be forcibly used as a stick to beat him with (that isn't referencing the harmless stuff in here from the other day btw, just down the months).

I like The Villa View but one thing Bardell and a few others say is that he's more of a winger than a striker which I couldn't disagree with anymore, and I think he played there and occasionally well in the process in spite of the fact he's definitely not a winger. You're talking about him falling behind other wingers in the pecking order but when that's not actually his natural role I don't think it can be held against him too much, the fact Smith tried him so much there I'd argue is because he rated him higher than our actual wingers anyway, and thought the goal threat he could offer when out of position (a la Blues where he was getting into the box alongside Tammy) > their natural games.

He was also brilliant when he came on against Rotherham, to date it as far back as Blues is harsh. We changed shape for the second half after Mings got sent off and he went up top with Tammy and completely changed the game as they hounded their defence and didn't allow them to dominate the game in the way they probably should have. The fact he did that there and maybe doesn't always do it isn't something I'll argue against, like I said he's not beyond criticism and there's a lot of give and take that comes with how much of a maverick style he has, but I find the extent of some of it a little bit peculiar, especially given the amount of rope certain other players like Hogan have been given in comparison.

Edited by Indigo

On 04/08/2019 at 13:56, AV82 said:

My issue with him is off the ball. Move your lazy ass.

yeah.....He is not great at selfless running......only gets interested when the ball is around, not predatory enough.

However, does possess trickery that can send defenders the wrong way and has a reasonable eye for goal.....I think he will do better in a team who have ball players who can keep him busy and better refs will protect him that bit more.

I think he could be a surprise.

6 hours ago, omariqy said:

Kodjia always gets overly criticised. Mainly cos he's a bit different. I'm not referring to race albeit the lazy stereotype may have some link. He's just a bit out there sometimes. People fear what they don't know. He's not lazy at all. He works bloody hard for the team and especially at holding the ball up. His biggest issue is and continues to be decision making. I'm convinced if he played up top last season for us for as many games as Tammy did he would have got 20 plus goals. 

I think you are right .

8 hours ago, hippo said:

Its often forgetton but he scored a flurry goals when TA got injured towards the end of last season.

Yep. Scored the winner against Milwall, played well and got the penalty against Rotherham to help turn those games in our favour. Without those goals we very well may not be in the playoffs. Scoring 9 goals, mostly as a sub, is far from poor.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Yep. Scored the winner against Milwall, played well and got the penalty against Rotherham to help turn those games in our favour. Without those goals we very well may not be in the playoffs. Scoring 9 goals, mostly as a sub, is far from poor.

I didn't realize it was that many. Think Wesley only got 11 in a full season

I am glad we are keeping Jimmy Danger, atleast I hope we are - even with the other striker arriving.

He deserves a crack at the Premier League even if as a backup role. He has scored some important goals for us when it mattered. He's been great imo and never kicked up a fuss. 

Alot of admiration for him.

• Like 2

Â