Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

When he fancies it he can be unplayable!! If we were going to sign him and seen his YouTube highlights we would think we would be jizzing in our pants. Alot of people including myself if I really admit it had pretty much wrote him off next season. Prem stage could be just what he needs. 

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Zaha was on the bench in group stages. Pepe the other wide player had very good season at Lille and been linked with Bayern Munich.

linked Liverpool and United as well

I think some are getting there hopes up to high in Kodjia, I don't think he's a no2, he struggled alot in the championship last season. Yes he scored some goals last season and can always appreciate that but I see him as the odd man out that doesnt really fit into a squad thats designed to play fast, controlled,  possession,  football he just doesn't fit the system.

The problem we have with kodjia is he doesn't do what you need every player to do in the premier which is to track the ball and take it from your opponent if it's in your zone. If kodjia loses that ball he won't go chasing it down and that's something you need even your attackers to do.

Many of the top teams and below in the premier will have all there players constantly applying pressure, if we dont have that going on then were going to be losing many games. I would bring in someone else who will do exactly what we hoped kodjia would've done, I wouldn't chance Kodjia the no2 spot, no way, not if we want to stay in the prem.

Edited by Dave-R

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

I think some are getting there hopes up to high in Kodjia, I don't think he's a no2, he struggled alot in the championship last season. Yes he scored some goals last season and can always appreciate that but I see him as the odd man out that doesnt really fit into a squad thats designed to play fast, controlled,  possession,  football he just doesn't fit the system.

The problem we have with kodjia is he doesn't do what you need every player to do in the premier which is to track the ball and take it from your opponent if it's in your zone. If kodjia loses that ball he won't go chasing it down and that's something you need even your attackers to do.

Many of the top teams and below in the premier will have all there players constantly applying pressure, if we dont have that going on then were going to be losing many games. I would bring in someone else who will do exactly what we hoped kodjia would've done, I wouldn't chance Kodjia the no2 spot, no way, not if we want to stay in the prem.

You make valid points, no he doesn't chase the ball down, hence one of the reasons he is only as good as he is......He is a limited player, but his good bits can be very good at times.Like you I don't think he will be a regular, just a bit part player, unless we get an offer we can't refuse.When playing a high tempo game, He is inclined to slow things down and allow the opposition to regroup and organise themselves.

Edited by TRO

Think some clubs will have noticed him in AFCON and show some interest, make some bids?

I’d much prefer us to get rid of Hogan (difficult), and Kodjia is not a bad option from the bench, but if we could offload him for a decent fee it would be worth considering, he’s not getting any younger and probably isn’t up to PL standard and our style of play. 

Just wondering if we will be selling any players with all the quality signings we have been and are making...

Edited by Jas10

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, avfc1982am said:

Where is he??? Surely he's still not on hols. Anyone got any intel is he injured????

Strange that elmo and trezeguet are playing and kodjia hasn't returned. Did he progress further in ACON and has more time off. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Strange that elmo and trezeguet are playing and kodjia hasn't returned. Did he progress further in ACON and has more time off. 

Was thinking the same tbh. No mention of him during pre season at all??

On 12/07/2019 at 15:42, MellbergsBeard said:

If he was a new signing we would be excited to have him as second choice, Based on AFCON. 

True, but we'd also not have watched him play for the previous seasons and know less about him.

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Ivory Coast went an extra round further, so he'd have been there 5 days more.

• Like 2

Makes me wonder how he will do in the prem.

Any chance he gets he must know this is his one shot to prove he can play at this level, if he doesn't cut it he will finish his career as a championship player.

I wonder if this fact might mean we will see him working hard when he gets his chance?, I'm sure he believes he is capable and would want to work his ass off to prove it?

Who knows, we will see soon enough im sure, unless we buy another striker.....

Edited by MaVilla

I was looking for this thread yesterday but couldn't see it on page 1 or 2!

I'd imagine he might get a half of the red bull game just to get him in the side.

He can save us a load of striker money as I think he's good enough to be backup. It's tricky signing a "backup" as well, feels like a waste. Maupay for example would costs at least £14m you'd think.

Attitude key once more for Kodj. Tammy used to scream at him when they shared the pitch and I imagine Wes will be the same. If he wants to, he can still get in the starting XI this season I think. Not from the off, but I reckon he could force his way in when he's really on.

l like JK... For that first season, his exotic name, good international appearances and that he seems like a good guy for morale. Keep as backup to Wesley, give him frequent minutes off the bench to see what he can do until January, then reassess. He deserves his shot in the big league.

48 minutes ago, Mr.Messy said:

l like JK... For that first season, his exotic name, good international appearances and that he seems like a good guy for morale. Keep as backup to Wesley, give him frequent minutes off the bench to see what he can do until January, then reassess. He deserves his shot in the big league.

I kind of agree, esp with the bolded point.

He didn’t kick up a fuss last season despite playing second fiddle to Tammy and I appreciate that.

He clearly has talent and will score goals. I know there isn’t much room for sentimentality in football but it would be nice to give one or two of the players that have stuck with us and contributed, some kind of reward - namely game time in the PL which has always been the objective. Injuries have affected him but maybe he can get back to some decent form, he looked brilliant in his first season with us. I know he frustrates but he can make a difference unlike someone like Hogan.

Edited by Jas10

With better ball players around him might open up that bit of space he thrives on......I don't think the heavy handed defenders of the championship and blind as a bat ref's to encourage them, helped his style.

Unlike Keinan, I think Kodj does time his work/runs well and could be a surprising package like Jota could be.

I just don't rate him as much as others it seems. I wanted him replaced in the championship, nevermind in the PL. 

He has talent, but is way too inconsistent for me. Doesn't matter if you can create magic at times, if the rest of it is shite. 

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I just don't rate him as much as others it seems. I wanted him replaced in the championship, nevermind in the PL. 

He has talent, but is way too inconsistent for me. Doesn't matter if you can create magic at times, if the rest of it is shite. 

Kinda does though. 

Nobody is asking him to be our first choice striker. I'd still sign another and it looks like we will. However when you need a bit of magic from the bench he's an interesting option. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Kinda does though. 

Nobody is asking him to be our first choice striker. I'd still sign another and it looks like we will. However when you need a bit of magic from the bench he's an interesting option. 

haha,so right.....we are 1-1 and 15 minutes to go......and you have that bit of magic to come on,( in a team now that can use the ball) it gives everyone hope.......and them 3 magical points are not quite so far away.

I am not bigging Kodj up but like Lansbury maybe better in a passing team....it was difficult to get much out him in a predominately stop/start team.

Edited by TRO

Â